The MT-07 Forum

'The Pace' By Nick Ienatsch

00RAH

Awesome article, I remember when that came out (mag cover says 1991, 29 years ago).

My takeaway was not to ride like an idiot, don't go flying into corners too hot (and I related to that).

Nick revised "The Pace", called it "The Pace 2.0"

HHO7CXRTERBVXO7CCVFMK56WEQ.jpg

The street is not a racetrack: How to ride swiftly and safely on the road.

He says "In The Pace I wrote that you might not see a brake light flash all day. This is misleading. Readers could interpret this to mean that using the brakes is wrong, and I should have been much clearer."

"...Brakes. Yes. To not only control your speed, but your steering geometry, too. That is the biggest and most important clarification in The Pace 2.0: The use of brakes. You go to the brakes anytime you need your speed controlled more than is possible by simply closing the throttle. The faster you ride, the more brakes you will use, all things (like lean angle) being equal. If you’re in the habit of slamming on the brakes at every corner entrance, you are definitely not riding The Pace and that big speed and abruptness will eventually hurt you. If you use a little brake pressure to trail-brake (brake while turning) into the occasional corner, you’ve got the right idea."

Pace 2.0 Updates

"The Pace 2.0 wants you to add this to your riding portfolio: "I can go to the brakes any time during my ride." Yes, even leaned over in your favorite corner. In my book, Sport Riding Techniques, on fastersafer.com and at Yamaha Champions Riding School, I give each tire 100 points of total grip. "

----------------

(Basically Nick, with his association with Freddie Spencer and the school, became a huge fan of trail braking)

All the things Nick talks about in his videos have made a huge improvement in my riding, and I got my MC license in 1972 but didn't REALLY learn to ride well until fairly recently.

Edited by Lone Wolf