The MT-07 Forum

HELP! MT07 died?? Hard start, loud noise and smoke from exhaust

Timo023

If it was me i would try to see first the coild connection on the cilinder that is not igniting nornally, the smoke probably is because of the fuel excess, cause te injector is still fuctioning. Like others said look at the power commander connections start on the ignition ones first.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Dennis.Halmstad said:

Is it only me thinking the bike would have thrown a fault code by now for the missfires?

Not necessarily.

Wow, don't scare the hell outta the guy and make him worry his engine is mechanically failing apart. Head gaskets? Bad valves? Improper fuel? Geez!

It's running on one cylinder. Listen to Moss and you'll sort it out. By the description of the previous owners shoddy wiring, you're looking at a plug cap or it's associated wiring got damaged or pulled loose.

Get stuck in when you have time to sort it out properly and you'll be fine. Your engines not broke, you just need to clean up the mess the other guy left you. Good luck, man. You'll get there.

• Like 3

Thanks for all the responses guys. Got the bike indoors today so I could dig a bit deeper.

I disconnected the power commander fully and wired it back on the ECU. No effect...

disconnected the o2 sensor. Still no effect...

Found one cable slightly loose. Reconnected it. No effect...

The spark plug I couldn't reach unfortunatley was able to get to them but didn't have a key ong enough. They are deep sunk inside the engine! However both pipes were getting hot while running so it seems to be running on two ciliders. Smoke was not present today. Weird thing is that yesterday it wouldn't even start anymore but today it started up at one go.(little bit hard tho). The powercommander does not seem to be the issue. 

The only thing I found when I measured the battery on startup was that it went down to 6 to 7V so this one should be replaced. Will order one tonight. However I can't imagine that this is just the issue....

I will get the right key and replace the spark plugs too. What a mess to get to them tho. So much in the way.

The one cable thats loose on the left front of the bike is not from the heater as I wrote earlier. Seems to be going to the clutch retraction switch. Does anyone know how to reconnect the cable into this black/green connector? 

So I haven't got any further to be honest.... After changing my battery and perhaps the plugs. What can I do next?..

58 minutes ago, Lone Wolf said:

Gotcha. Did you Bitch-slap the seller again?

Well.... I am about to! For sure he is going to pay for the crap he sold me.

Aside from paying money, the big headache is diagnosis when you mention "I have no experience on working on engines".  The bike fails 3 days after you buy it. You mention "a powercommander installed and is mapped to the exhaust by the previous owner."

The prior owner is the person familiar with what he installed, and some of the wiring is known to be suspect per your description.  This is not a time to be nice, or unwilling to offend.

I would DEMAND that he at least LOOK at it, and take them to small claims court if they don't. I am not a fan of legal action, but simply delivering a summons to small claims court will truly get someone's attention.

• Like 1

Morgan Australia

wow I read and watched this all and if youre right and both cylinders are firing this intermittently  .. and youre right no lose wiring .. other then the green wire to the clutch you pulled after the misfiring started. 

Look in the oil for signs of coolant.  and check 100% if it is water or fuel coming out of the exhaust i.e. if it was coolant /water it will dry white chalky etc ..  if the coolant and oil are mixing it will show milky in ur oil window or in ur pan if you drop it / change the oil  ..  said to confirm or disregard blown head gasket.

and I got to ask did you try the fuel ..  try fresh and or another octane fuel. 

It sounds like its firing on one,  so if this is both pistons firing Id be looking at fuel.  

and that look at those spark plugs would tell a lot.

Edited by Morgan Australia
forgot the spark plugs lol
  • Like 1

allright relatively good news guys . Seems like most of you were actually right. Allready checked the pipes. Just to be sure, did it again but this time with some soap and water.  The left cilinder is the issue here it runs on two cilinders but cilinder two (clutch side) was a lot less hot. My bet now would be that the plug doesnt work properly and thats why its skipping cycles and when it works again creates the loud exhaust bangs and the rev increase.

I have ordered some new plugs and a new battery. could not find a 14mm sparkplug socket in my local stores so I took a long 14mm powersocket. Hopefully its deep enough to do the job. 

Any tips on how to get access to the left plug? with some connectors loose I seem to be able to just access the plug. But can't reach the cap from the left side. Will try from the right. Otherwise I have to remove the alternator.

One other question. Does anyone know how to re-attach the ripped cable of the clutch in sensor to the cable adapter again? dont know how this adapter works.

20201212_152821.jpg

Edited by Timo023

18 hours ago, Morgan Australia said:

wow I read and watched this all and if youre right and both cylinders are firing this intermittently  .. and youre right no lose wiring .. other then the green wire to the clutch you pulled after the misfiring started. 

Look in the oil for signs of coolant.  and check 100% if it is water or fuel coming out of the exhaust i.e. if it was coolant /water it will dry white chalky etc ..  if the coolant and oil are mixing it will show milky in ur oil window or in ur pan if you drop it / change the oil  ..  said to confirm or disregard blown head gasket.

and I got to ask did you try the fuel ..  try fresh and or another octane fuel. 

It sounds like its firing on one,  so if this is both pistons firing Id be looking at fuel.  

and that look at those spark plugs would tell a lot.

Got it indoors and smoke is significantly less to gone. Fluid was water for sure.

On 12/11/2020 at 6:56 AM, Timo023 said:

The only thing I found when I measured the battery on startup was that it went down to 6 to 7V so this one should be replaced. Will order one tonight. However I can't imagine that this is just the issue....

Do you have the new battery yet? I'm surprised the bike even cranks and starts with voltage that low.

I can remember in the 1970's riding an old Sportster on a 250 mile trip back home, and my lights got more and more dim. Then the motor started missing. On those older bikes you had a switch for the headlight, they weren't always on. I was riding at night, turned the headlight off and the motor ran normal again for another 100 miles, then sputtered the last 5 miles home. I was a dumbass kid at the time, riding without lights is not recommended but it is an example of low volts and poor running motor.

• Like 1

• Global Moderator

@Timo023, that left plug is a real pain, but I have changed it twice from the right side with the fuel tank off.  You do end up swearing a lot but it is doable.  Good luck. 

• Like 2

Dennis.Halmstad

Good work.

Lets hope that new sparkplugs and a battery is solving this. Or maybe ignition coil.

But worse problems could also cause intermittent ignition. But lets hope not.

• Like 1

On 12/13/2020 at 12:35 AM, Timo023 said:

The adapter from the ripped clutch sensor cable. 20201210_160220.thumb.jpg.751c513a44c44955f89ae26fa642a48b.jpg

Yes.... Lets definately hope not....

While waiting for the new parts. Does anyone know how to reattach the cable to this connector? 

Cant find how to pull it apart or secure the cable in it.

Thanks! Also have to sort out why my right hand side blinker, license plate light and heated grips stoppen working. Will look into this stuff this weekend.

Well... New plugs, New battery. Same problem. 

Back to the electrics. the problem got progressively worse and it killed my battery. Any ideas what to check next?

20201219_131701.jpg

First thing I would do is put the bike back stock. Get rid of the power commander km mmstuff. Get the wiring connected directly to where it belongs and inspect each connector for damage. 

Spark plugs rarely fail. I would've been surprised if that fixed the issue. I believe your problem is the signal to fire the spark plugs it's not making to to the spark plugs. Why is anyone's guess at this point.

I can't think of a way to describe how to repair your electrical connector. It's simple, but would take a walk of text to describe it. Like trying to teach someone to tie shoes via text message :D Your best bet will probably be a YouTube video showing how to crimp those connectors together so you can see how they work and go together. There's a little barb in there, but every brand of contractor is different. Once you get it, you'll get it.

Good luck, man. I know you've got to be frustrated! 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Timo023 said:

also found this loose wire

20201219_145657.jpg

I googled the part number. That's the actual power commander in your hand there ( I've never used one on a personal bike). If I had to guess, that appears to be a ground, but that's strictly a guess. You'd have to chase that wire back to see where it comes from. 

The ECU/computer sends out signals to make the bike run. The power commander intercepts these signals and modifies them. If your power commander is not powering up / grounded well... I hate those things. Working with my buddy in his motorcycle shop when he would be overwhelmed and needed extra hands, I can't even count how many power commanders we've pulled off. Just my opinion, though. 

• Like 1

I have disconnected the power commander a week ago and it didnt do anything... 

Also checked to see if the coils are the problem by switching them around. But still the problem remained in the left cilinder.

Can I switch the electric on the coils around as well? or can this cause damage?

If I can switch those around I can outrule that it is something with the hardwiring. When the right cilinder suddenly doesnt work it could be the hard wiring or the signal. but if it doesnt make any difference can I conclude then that it must be a mechanical problem with the left cylinder?

Wow - stepping into a snake pit.

On 12/9/2020 at 8:11 AM, Timo023 said:

Just bought a used MT07 three days ago. Runned like clockwork sounded perfectly and was running very smooth. 

Problems seemed to be progressively worse today. Quite a lot of smoke from the exhaust and a lood knocking sound that wasn't there before.

You should be asking the seller, not strangers on internet. 

"Guy which I bought it from three days ago worked at a racing car building company and installed the akrapovic Carbon exhaust, powercomander and quickshifter himself."

The seller is familiar with the bike.  Have you fully explained to him what a deep pit of trouble you are in??

Years ago I was selling a Fiat 124 that had been running great for years. A girl responded to the add, and I was very reluctant to sell the car to someone without mechanical skills just because it was a Fiat (Fix It All the Time). She bought it, and it broke down a few days later. I paid for ALL WORK NEEDED to get the car running as good as it was when I sold it. I think any reasonable person would feel responsible. If they don't, then all bets are off. Take them to small claims court, give their company bad reviews because they have irresponsible people working there - whatever it takes.

Edited by Lone Wolf

18 minutes ago, Lone Wolf said:

Wow - stepping into a snake pit.

You should be asking the seller, not strangers on internet. 

"Guy which I bought it from three days ago worked at a racing car building company and installed the akrapovic Carbon exhaust, powercomander and quickshifter himself."

The seller is familiar with the bike.  Have you fully explained to him what a deep pit of trouble you are in??

Years ago I was selling a Fiat 124 that had been running great for years. A girl responded to the add, and I was very reluctant to sell the car to someone without mechanical skills just because it was a Fiat (Fix It All the Time). She bought it, and it broke down a few days later. I paid for ALL WORK NEEDED to get the car running as good as it was when I sold it. I think any reasonable person would feel responsible. If they don't, then all bets are off. Take them to small claims court, give their company bad reviews because they have irresponsible people working there - whatever it takes.

The seller told me that he cannot help me and that its my problem now. Doesn't respond my calls anymore. So since I don't have any mechanically gifted friends I am resorteing to the "strangers on the internet". And you guys have been helpfull so far! 

• Like 1