The MT-07 Forum

what is this in my garage?

firstyammerha

firstyammerha

After years of wondering if what they say about the Striple is true, I found one at a reasonable price: 2017 675R with 3200 miles on it and nearly new Michelin Road 5 2CT tires.  My only complaint is the fork high speed compression damping is just as bad as the FZ's. And it spins about a thousand rpm higher than the FZ at 60. But that means it's pretty peppy boy!  And Oh that exhaust note-a siren song if ever there was one. I can say it is a class above the FZ overall but then again the original price was about three grand more than the FZ. And it is chunkier than the FZ but...  

2017 Triumph 675R Street Triple in Cataula.JPG

• Like 8

• Premium Member

So which is a better overall bike? A stock striple or an FZ/MT07 with the price difference in upgrades? Hmmmm.....

• Like 1

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

firstyammerha

Your pictogram sums it up well mossrider. The Striple is the bike I needed thirty(ummm forty) years ago. The FZ fits like a glove at this stage of life. Now if Yamaha would do a 350lb.,500cc Triple version of our bike, I'd probably trade. But think I'll hang on to the Striple for awhile though just because of that exhaust.    

When I sold my Hogly (2011 Heritage Classic) I was torn between the striple and the FZ07. Not only was the Yammie cheaper, but maintenence was MUCH better. A service manager at the Triumph dealer told me the valves needed checking every 12K miles ($300) and if they needed any type of adjustments ($800). The Yammie needs vales checked every 26,500 miles. Much better. I'm sure any factory part will be much more for the English bike. That aside, I LOVE the striple. Handles like a dream. As soon as I swung a leg over it, I felt like it was custom made just for me. I bought the FZ07 and love it, too, but it's not a stripple. The new striple is even nicer. So congrats First Yammerhaw. I KNOW you'll love your striple. Everyone else does. shet, I even like the headlight.

I've had my MT07 two years now from new... i had a test ride on a new stripleRS.... oooooh mama.  I think I may have to take the plunge next year if COVID doesn't get me

• 1 month later...
firstyammerha

emmett and Karlos, if you need keys for the newer striples, they're like $75.00 each because they have transponders built in. Mine came with only one so I popped for a couple of spares and they're dealer only items.

• 2 weeks later...

I picked the MT because I wanted a great “all-around” bike since my wife won’t sign off on me owning more than one right now, and I’ve got a few more years before I’m ready to move to a “dad” bike like an ADV or something. I love the character of the CP2 and the MT’s malleability/ customizability. But if I were allowed to have 3 bikes, it would probably be a KTM 1290 GT for touring, a Victory Octane for cruising and a Street Triple for more spirited rides/canyon carving. IMHO the Street Triple is king of the mid weight nakeds.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
firstyammerha

Update: I lightly dropped the bike in a space at a shopping center parking lot. Only damage was to the right front turn signal lens which broke. I found a Pennsylvania parts house specializing in this brand and was able to get a new lens($20.00) in a week. The embarrassing part next to dropping the thing was picking it up. I tried the usual way of dead lifting it off the asphalt but couldn't get it better than a 45 degree angle. Not quite upright so I tried backing into it and lifting it to no avail. All the while people were driving by and getting a good grin at the show I was putting on. Finally a stout guy stepped in and gave me a hand raising the bike to vertical so I could climb on and lower the side stand and catch my breath. I've decided that my curiosity has been satisfied and really wish that I could have bought one decades ago. I've put it on CycleTrader and decided to buy a CB300R. I'm not done with riding yet. The FZ07 is still within my abilities so she'll stay. 

If the bike falls on the right side, remember to lower the sidestand before you start lifting, so it is ready.  I found that backing in was favourite (the aged 78 or so) and successful. 

Just do it! 

• 2 months later...
firstyammerha

I traded the Striple for a 2021 CB300R with ABS. It was worth what Kelly Blue Book said-$5800. So I'm zipping around now using my left toe way more often than on the Fz or Striple.  Honda did a great job matching the throttle with the engine because rev matching is so nice on this bike. It's like swapping the stock FZ throttle tube for an R6 tube but feels much better. I haven't seen this much RPM in high gear since 1975! The FZ is in the shop and I will greatly enjoy alternating the two when it gets returned to me. 

• Like 1

I bought a 2021 Street Triple R this year to add to the collection, did 170 miles today through the Smokey mts. Below our my current bikes.

MT07.thumb.jpg.f11d9359a8e36d7d14a4b37aa1d962db.jpgSV650.thumb.jpg.7d9c72eb68ea3467b0b4ee462a1306f9.jpg342000653_Rc3901.thumb.jpg.f943c41c3ba53eb1c06eeb80595f8349.jpg1186497350_Triumph765R.jpg.e2555ee0928b37e0cbf936db643e0257.jpg

Edited by wollerms
spelling
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, wollerms said:

I bought a 2021 Street Triple R this year to add to the collection, did 170 miles today through the Smokey mts. Below our my current bikes.

MT07.thumb.jpg.f11d9359a8e36d7d14a4b37aa1d962db.jpgSV650.thumb.jpg.7d9c72eb68ea3467b0b4ee462a1306f9.jpg342000653_Rc3901.thumb.jpg.f943c41c3ba53eb1c06eeb80595f8349.jpg1186497350_Triumph765R.jpg.e2555ee0928b37e0cbf936db643e0257.jpg

Wow nice collection. I was looking at the triple before the MT-07. The mt is my first bike and I’m really enjoying it. Minus the seat 😂

• 2 weeks later...

Yes I ride them equally, except for the 2015 KTM (10,000 miles) as it hurts my wrists so only ride it anymore maybe once a month or so. Plus it's loud as hell!

2017 SV650 (16,000 miles) is or feels larger than others and is more stable in the curves, also has the best transmission

2019 MT07 (10,000 miles) is a hotrod, best exhaust soundtrack

2021 ST765R after putting 4000 miles on it I'm getting good with it. Man the up/down quickshifter is a blast on the straightaways. This bike rips. Engine is real noisy (mechanically) like other european bikes I've owned.   

I never could afford more than one bike, now I can so heck with it, I know a few guys that have 10-15 bikes!  

• 2 months later...
firstyammerha

Hey wollerms. I enjoy mechanical noises that some engines make naturally like gear whine from the transmission or primary drive. My 2000 Suzuki GS750 four was music to my ears. The Striple was a close second. Now for exhaust note...

• 2 months later...
midlifedelinquent
On 11/21/2020 at 12:43 PM, DewMan said:

So which is a better overall bike? A stock striple or an FZ/MT07 with the price difference in upgrades?

Define better? The Triumph is more powerful and more refined. The triple and MT07 weigh about the same and have similar ergonomics. The Yamaha has a better dealer network, cheaper parts, and more aftermarket support. Both bikes tend to win their comparison tests with their competition. Also on the Yamaha seems better for shenanigans if you're into that sort of thing. If you're experienced, both are solid choices, if you're new, the Triumph is less appropriate due to power difference.

My thoughts are based on almost 10k miles on the FZ07 with Ohlins, K-tech, Hordpower, and Akrapovic vs. a practically stock Street Triple 675R

• Thanks 1

firstyammerha

I believe the Striple has the edge on the FZ as far as the engine goes. But the Striple is more highly tuned for performance characteristics like top end and acceleration. The Striple is also heavier than the FZ and shows it during low speed moves. I was surprised that the Striple suspension wasn't better than the FZ by a wide margin. The fork and shock had lots of adjustment but I could not dial them to suit my style. The fork high speed compression is no better than the FZ's. Lots of chatter over short ripple strips go right to the bars. The rear shock was no better than the 2000 Suzuki GSF1200 shock I'm running now. This showed me that you can have all the knobs in the world on your fork and shock but if the right setting is not in there somewhere you're stuck with some overpriced, overhyped hardware. Check out the Triumphrat forum for more enlightenment. Dealer Network for Triumph is non-existent where I live. Closest dealer is 60 miles from me and he stinks(bought the bike there). Next closest 100 miles and their attitude also leaves a lot to be desired. Nice bike but in detail still lacking in spots. FZ is the best bang for the buck IMO.    

• Like 1

midlifedelinquent
Just now, firstyammerha said:

The Striple is also heavier than the FZ and shows it during low speed moves.

While I understand the triple can be perceived as heavier, I think that can be attributed to geometry and it being a more "solid" bike, hence my comment about build refinement. While weights shown on the internet vary site by site, they tend to agree on similar weights. Per ultimatespecs.com the FZ  Curb Weight (including fluids)182.8 kg (403.0 pounds)  and the Street Curb Weight (including fluids)183.0 kg (403.4 pounds) . Also note the Street holds more fuel, so in reality it might actually be the lighter of the two!

I went the other way...   slower, but extremely maneuverable and some serious places to try to learn to ride one again...

2000GasGasTXT280.JPG

2000 GasGas (with no place for your AssAss) TXT 280.   Going log and rock hopping again after about 30 years.

Edited by klx678
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
firstyammerha

KLX678, I guess this means that you're giving up street riding. Is Trials competition very common these days? I have to debate the facts presented by midlifedelinquent in the above post. The FZ07 has been roundly lauded for its  weight compared to other bikes in the class. The two are in different classes in my opinion. They both are the top of those classes again in my opinion. I definately felt the difference between the two when maneuvering at low speeds. I wish that this bike(Striple) was around 40 years ago when I could have made the most of it.