The MT-07 Forum

Scraping noise?

fzhooligan

Afternoon everybody,

So a week or so after purchase (and about 175 miles), I checked my chain tension and found it to be slightly loose. I proceeded with the adjustment process as instructed and tightened it up ever so slightly. Made sure the lines on the swingarm were equal, rode the bike up and down the street 40-60mph and let go of the bars to check for odd tracking (this logic seems legitimate to me). Everything seems fine. 

However, I'm not sure if it was there before and I'm just noticing it now, I've noticed a speed related "scraping" sort of noise seemingly coming from between the front and mid sections of the bike. I looked in every which direction at every little crack and crevice and can't find a lick of evidence of anything contacting anything it's not supposed to. If I short shift gears and get up to 5th gear at about 30mph so the engine is quieter, it's very noticeable. Especially after pulling in the clutch.

Has anyone experienced anything like this? I seriously hope I didn't cause this from simply adjusting my chain!  >:D

'15 FZ-07
'93 Honda XR650L (supermoto/pig) (SOLD)

There are a ton of threads about a sound coming from that exact area. I've had it on my bike from day one. Loud as shit. Sounds like a dry clutch ducati at idle? I have yet to hear a definitive cause of this. Everyone defines the sound as something different as well. Mostly I hear that it's normal and just a loud chain. Not helpful I know, but you're part of the team now.

Thanks Miggles. At least I'm not alone. I'll ask the dealer when I go in for the first service. Eventually I'll probably service it myself but I figure in a couple weeks when I hit 600, I'll go in and ask some questions and let them do all the post break in checks.

'15 FZ-07
'93 Honda XR650L (supermoto/pig) (SOLD)

• 3 months later...

Did anyone ever come up with a solution to this?

I no longer hvae a stock exhaust and i can still hear the "ring jingle".

What, if anything, have you guys used to lube the chain? Apply so 90W gear oil to the rollers and see if it quiets down or just changes.

It would be nice if the marks on both sides of the swingarm were exact. But you really should verify this once using a string or long straight edge on both sides of the back tire. Do a search, you'll find procedures for doing this.

Also, put the bike up on a stand and turn the back wheel by hand. Watch the chain and rear sprocket to see if there are any weird sideways movements. You might just have a bad chain or rear sprocket.

Archived