The MT-07 Forum

Will the RS660 kill off SV and FZ race bikes?

50Joe

Will the Aprilia RS660 eventually kill off SV650 and FZ-07 race bikes in the LWT classes? I'm a huge Aprilia fan but don't have the coin and the Yamaha is easy to own and live with. Plus, I've got mine adapted to ride as a paraplegic now and wouldn't want to redo that process on another bike anytime soon.

• Premium Member

I don't see that happening (at least on the club-racing level)..... The attraction to both the FZ & SV is they are relatively inexpensive to buy, build, and race 😎-

• Like 1

""W.O.T. until you see god, then brake"

Like all good things the FZ and SV will come to end; some day, but not yet. First, in MotoAmerica it has to get homologated. And before that it has to be available. Neither of those has happened yet. At this point if it were to happen this week it would still be some time before they show up in numbers and more yet to get developed into proper race bikes before they pose a serious threat to the existing grid. And then MA will impose leveling rules if needed to keep parity.

In club racing, aside from a few fielded by those with the means and where with all, it will be a number of years before used ones in sufficient numbers become available at low enough prices to pose any significant threat to the thousands of Yamaha's and Suzuki's out there. 

It is inevitable however. Look what the Hawk did to the FZR400, the SV in turn to the Hawk, the FZ almost did to the first 2 gens of SV (you could argue the FZ ressurected the SV in the 3rd gen or it too would have died) and the RS will someday do the same until the next big thing comes along...

Just my useless opinion, all hail the lightweight class. 😜

• Like 4

• Premium Member

They are going to be expensive when they crash!  Not to mention simple parts availability.   Does Aprilia even do well at the big races with their big bike?  I dont remember seeing them on any podiums....

I do see a lot of rich Youtubers bolting carbon parts to their Aprilias...

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

12 hours ago, mossrider said:

It is inevitable however. Look what the Hawk did to the FZR400, the SV in turn to the Hawk, the FZ almost did to the first 2 gens of SV (you could argue the FZ ressurected the SV in the 3rd gen or it too would have died) and the RS will someday do the same until the next big thing comes along...

Don't think Aprilia is big enough to do that. It will most like be another Japanese model. 

I remember seeing a Youtuber talk about how many MT07s Yamaha sells worldwide and I think they mentioned it was more then all models of Ducati put together. This may be a past statistic but I don't see Yamaha losing the market share. 

• 6 months later...