The MT-07 Forum

Tested out 4-pin to OBD2 cable for diagnostics and fault resets.

Raven

I have been reading a lot about if the 4-pin to OBD2 cables work or not. It seems that it was hit and miss in the early days if the OBD2 scanners would detect the correct communication protocols.

With the introduction to Buletooth OBD2 scanners this problem has mostly gone away. So I wanted to see if I could use my older cars BAFX Bluetooth OBD2 port to check faults and problems on my 2019 MT07. This way I dont have to waste a day going to the dealer every 6 months for a service, just do it myself.

So the parts I used were:

• BAFX Bluetooth OBD2 scanner (around 4 years old model)
  • 4-pin to OBD2 cable
  • Torque Pro Android app
  • Motorola G6 Android smart phone

Everything works fine was able to read faults, check various parameters like temp, rps, throttle position etc. Woot.

I did a more detailed write up on using the Yamaha 4-pin to OBD2 cable here if anyone is interested. The loging and custom parameters charting are cool and helpful for track days. 

You can find the cable port under the passenger set and you will need the bike turned on to read the codes and started to read RPM etc Obviously.

Hope it helps someone.torque-pro-mt07.thumb.png.1977ac9397bdc68ad05db03972fc793f.png

• Like 2

• Premium Member

Nice! Any way to use it to cycle the ABS Pump?

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

I'm wondering if those toys will works on a "pre-2019" MT-07...

My bike is the first model (2014).

I have a 4-pin connector under the seat, but I don't know if that can works with a non-Yamaha tester. 🤔

www.MT-Series.it
Yamaha Official MT-Series Club

20 minutes ago, etorty said:

I'm wondering if those toys will works on a "pre-2019" MT-07...

My bike is the first model (2014).

I have a 4-pin connector under the seat, but I don't know if that can works with a non-Yamaha tester. 🤔

As far as I know this works only with 2017 models or newer.
The older models use an other communication protocol, but for us normal mortals it should be possible to connect the "Yamaha FI Diagnostic Tool"

Example: https://www.cmsnl.com/products/fi-diagnostic-tool_9089003182/

But I don't know what kind of functions it supports and I haven't tested it yet. It is not so easy to find good information. But you can see some engine relevant sensor values (FI = Fuel Injection?) and reset error codes, I found some pages of the manual online.   

• Like 1

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, ElGonzales said:

As far as I know this works only with 2017 models or newer.
The older models use an other communication protocol,

In the US. the 1st FZ-07 model refresh, other than optional ABS for 2017,  happened with the 2018 model where it got relabeled the MT-07.

I'm guessing this would only work on 2018+ US models?

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone verified that this works for a late 2020 MT-07 (US model)?  I got a new one a month ago and bought a handheld scanner off eBay.  It came with a 4-pin adapter cable, and the description said it worked with 2020 MT-07s, but it did not work with mine.  I gave me a failure to connect error.  I returned it and am still looking.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, it didn't work.  I got a "failure to connect to CPU" message.  I'll see if BAFX will be of any help.

• 2 weeks later...

I got a reply from BAFX yesterday:

"So motorcycles are not required to adhere to the same laws and mandates as consumer automobiles, when it comes to OBDII compliance. However, some application developers may have found ways to work around this and create ways to communicate with the motorcycles.

An application called MotoScan, may be an option for you. To ensure they will work for your motorcycle, here is their website: https://www.motoscan.de/. However, outside of this application, we are not aware of other apps, that will be able to assist with "communicating" with your motorcycle."

MotoScan seems to be written for BMW motorcycles, so I don't have a lot of hope that it will work on my MT-07, but I'll give it a try.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

As far as I can tell, MotoScan works only for BMW motorcycles.  I was not able to get it to see the bike's CPU. 

So it appears that I'm out of options.  As far as I know, there is nothing available, at least inexpensively, to read or reset the codes from my 2020 MT-07.

Edited by Triple Jim

• 7 months later...
Max of Millbrook

I too have tried (2019 MT07). I read somewhere here that a guy in Australia used the BAFX scantool and 4 to OBDII cable. I have tried the same but it will not connect to the ECU. Damn I hate being stuck to the dealer! Anyone know how to make this work?

Edited by Max of Millbrook
to notify of reply

• 7 months later...

I just got the Bafx Bluetooth scanner with the 4 pin adapter but I'm unable to connect to the ECU. Does the bike need to be running in order to connect?

Just now, Bryant said:

I just got the Bafx Bluetooth scanner with the 4 pin adapter but I'm unable to connect to the ECU. Does the bike need to be running in order to connect?

It's not supposed to.  Keep us posted if anything succeeds.

sweetscience

The service manual states that any generic OBD2 scanner will work. 

When I get my bike, I plan to flash the ECU, so I already bought the Healtech FI Cleaner, in anticipation of error codes.  Also have a chinese OBD2 adapter dongle waiting for testing.  

Just now, sweetscience said:

I've tried three scanners and two cables on my 2020, and nothing successfully connects to the ECU.  Please post here if you have any better luck.

sweetscience

After reading the hit and miss compatibility issues, could it be the latest OBD2 scanners have the Euro4 or Euro5 protocols built in?

Here's what I know, correct me if I'm wrong:

Pre-Euro4 bikes 1st gen MT's, 3-pin connector

Euro-4 2nd gen, 4-pin

Euro-5 3rd gen, 6-pin

sweetscience
On 11/7/2020 at 12:52 PM, DewMan said:

Nice! Any way to use it to cycle the ABS Pump?

Recently stumbled upon this

M. Hausknecht
Just now, sweetscience said:

When I get my bike, I plan to flash the ECU, so I already bought the Healtech FI Cleaner, in anticipation of error codes.  Also have a chinese OBD2 adapter dongle waiting for testing.  

The 2017-2019 MT 07 Service Manual references the Yamaha Diagnostic Tool repeatedly. They cost over $300, if you can find one. They are not an OBD2 device. Where are you seeing references to generic OBD2 scanners in the Service Manual?

Just now, M. Hausknecht said:

The 2017-2019 MT 07 Service Manual references the Yamaha Diagnostic Tool repeatedly. They cost over $300, if you can find one. They are not an OBD2 device. Where are you seeing references to generic OBD2 scanners in the Service Manual?

I think it could be 8-36:

grafik.png.5d2f953dc556e6e0e1828124487a3664.png

OBD2 is supposed to use industrial standard protocols as far as I know. Sadly I don't have a newer MT-07 supporting it. I think some of the connection problems are caused by wrong assignment of GND/+12V/ CAN H/ CAN L between bike and scan device. But that's just speculation.

M. Hausknecht
Just now, ElGonzales said:

I think it could be 8-36:

grafik.png.5d2f953dc556e6e0e1828124487a3664.png

OBD2 is supposed to use industrial standard protocols as far as I know. Sadly I don't have a newer MT-07 supporting it. I think some of the connection problems are caused by wrong assignment of GND/+12V/ CAN H/ CAN L between bike and scan device. But that's just speculation.

Well, you're right; its on page 8-36. Interesting, it isn't indicated elsewhere where the diagnostic tool is referenced. There seems to be a regulatory loophole when it comes to OBD2 and motorcycles; they just aren't required to follow industry standard protocols.

OBD/GST LEADWIRE KIT

90890-03249-00

by Yamaha

$120.95 35% OFF

$78.61

at Partzilla. Prices up to $120 elsewhere.. plus shipping, of course. ;)  Curious to know if anyone actually tried the 'Yamaha' part with an OBDC reader, and it actually worked?

Just now, Jerzee said:

Curious to know if anyone actually tried the 'Yamaha' part with an OBDC reader, and it actually worked?

Yeah, let me know too, please.

• Premium Member
On 4/15/2022 at 6:10 PM, sweetscience said:

Recently stumbled upon this

Yes, I watched that and researched it more and for an FJR it works... not so much on the MT-07 unfortunately

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

sweetscience
22 hours ago, DewMan said:

Yes, I watched that and researched it more and for an FJR it works... not so much on the MT-07 unfortunately

Yeah, the older gen Yamaha's do have a diagnostic mode by doing a bunch of button presses on the dash.  I'm sure there is a way to do it for the MT07.  The million dollar question eh?