Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
BruceWayne911

Heavy Set New Rider Interested in MT-07 (5'8 300lbs)

Recommended Posts

mjh937

I am 6’1” and 200 lbs and feel comfortable on my bike.   I upgraded the suspension after I had it a couple of years and wish I had done it sooner.  I did not know what I was missing so I was happy enough before I did it, but a better suspension is definitely nice.  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
BruceWayne911

I talked to a mechanic today he said it would cost about $1,800.00 to upgrade a suspension on the MT-07. Does this sound right or is that high? I'm down to fix the bike myself if it's not to complicated.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
mossrider
Just now, BruceWayne911 said:

I talked to a mechanic today he said it would cost about $1,800.00 to upgrade a suspension on the MT-07. Does this sound right or is that high? I'm down to fix the bike myself if it's not to complicated.

You can do it for as little as a few hundred USD, for emulators and an entry level shock or spend as much as you have. Top shelf cartridges and a shock can set you back more than $3250 for both ends. There are pages of thread to be searched here on suspension. Easy and informative to do it yourself too. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
mjh937

I spent about $1,200 on my suspension.  I did not go top-of-the-line, but I am not far off (Nitron R1 shouck and Matris F15K forks).  $1,800 seems high unless you are going for a competitive racing setup.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
mossrider

A quick check found these on Revzilla, 

k_tech_rcu_razor_r_lite_rear_shock.jpg

Unlike your OEM shock, this shock features 3 ways of adjustability enabling you to fine tune your shock to match your riding style.

 

ohlins_nix22_cartridge_kit.jpg

Many OEM forks only allow for a small range of adjustments and some offer none at all. This can be very frustrating as many riders’ skills eventually …

 

So for $1,145.00 parts you'd be rocking a premo hooligan setup for your weight...plus motor work... plus electronics... plus farkle... plus do-dads... plus tires... plus controls... plus..p.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
BruceWayne911

I finally got my MT-07, one of the first things I want to do is upgrade the suspension. I've been waiting since November of last year to but the Ohlins cartridge kit but its never in stock. It's been 7 months, does anyone have any insight to this?

 

ohlins_nix22_cartridge_kit.jpg

Many OEM forks only allow for a small range of adjustments and some offer...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
D.A.
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, BruceWayne911 said:

... Ohlins cartridge kit but its never in stock. ...

Sorry. Don’t know why it hasn’t been in stock anywhere in the USA. I did see a few eBay dealers in Italy who claim to have multiple units in stock for US$692.84 + $29 S&H + no tax. (See link below.)

I’m curious, though: You are new to motorcycling, correct? Have you been riding the bike since you got it and if so, are you noticing a particular problem with the stock suspension?

s-l400.jpg

PRODUCT CODE FKS 204. PRODUCT FAMILY NIX 22. MODEL YEARS 2014...

 

Edited by D.A.
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
BruceWayne911
4 hours ago, D.A. said:

Sorry. Don’t know why it hasn’t been in stock anywhere in the USA. I did see a few eBay dealers in Italy who claim to have multiple units in stock for US$692.84 + $29 S&H + no tax. (See link below.)

I’m curious, though: You are new to motorcycling, correct? Have you been riding the bike since you got it and if so, are you noticing a particular problem with the stock suspension?

s-l400.jpg

PRODUCT CODE FKS 204. PRODUCT FAMILY NIX 22. MODEL YEARS 2014...

 

Yeah I'm new to motorcycling this is my first bike. I see alot of other people who weigh significantly less than me who speak negatively about the suspension. I'm not looking to upgrade immediately but in the near future. Im just a little concerned because its been 7 months and I've never seen the part in stock.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Triple Jim
13 hours ago, BruceWayne911 said:

I see alot of other people who weigh significantly less than me who speak negatively about the suspension.

Are they talking about the 2018-present MT-07 or the earlier FZ-07?  The earlier ones were noted for being softly sprung.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
BruceWayne911
1 hour ago, Triple Jim said:

Are they talking about the 2018-present MT-07 or the earlier FZ-07?  The earlier ones were noted for being softly sprung.

I've heard they improved it but not by much. TBH this being my first bike I don't think upgrading the suspension right now makes alot of since. I plan to take it slow learn how to ride and then maybe this winter.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Triple Jim
3 minutes ago, BruceWayne911 said:

I've heard they improved it but not by much. TBH this being my first bike I don't think upgrading the suspension right now makes alot of since. I plan to take it slow learn how to ride and then maybe this winter.

Sound like a good plan. 

My MT is not what I'd call soft at all.    I don't think I'll make it any stiffer, that is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.