The MT-07 Forum

Looks like Yamaha will be unveiling some new MT models on October 27

bartman5impson

I feel like they ruined the looks of the Tracer 700 a couple years back. I was really wanting them to come to North America, but now I wouldn't care to own one at all. 

All this stuff is personal opinion though. Like TFT or whatever displays. I actually like that my FZ display is completely out of view while riding, so stuff like that doesn't add or subtract any value to a bike for me. I'd much rather see Yamaha invest their earnings on these models back in better suspension components. 

On 10/29/2020 at 6:40 AM, robbo10 said:

I suspect that the 07 will get that Tracer 700 and Tenere engine. It has 3 less bhp. Seeing the spy shot, maybe a new headlight too.

The Tracer and Tenere have a different engine than the 07? Tuning differences? 

It is just that the Tracer's meets Euro5 regs, whereas the 07's does not. It has to for 2021 sales.

• Like 1

Just do it! 

Likely many of you got the email but the refreshed 07 is out. Changes:

+ New air intake

+ 2 into 1 exhaust? 

+ Fuel injection settings optimized 

+ New larger color LCD w/ thumb controls 

+ Handlebars adjusted (raised, widen)

+ New tires

+ Bigger front brakes

+ New LED lighting 

+ Style changes

Edited by Stryprod
  • Like 2

• Premium Member

I'm pretty curious about the handlebars. I like the idea of "OEM upgrades" and a slightly different configuration would be great for me.

The new LED's are nice (very similar to what a lot of people already put on their bike), but I really like the new headlight and dash.

The 2-into-1 exhaust is probably to meet Euro5. I'm wondering about the fuel injection settings they mention though - could it be their fix to the choppy engine braking our bikes have right now?

The braking upgrades I'm on the fence about - I've got no issues with mine for street use. Maybe people who ride harder than I do can tell the difference. 

I don't see any mention of suspension changes, so overall, I like the minor upgrades, but I don't think it's anything worth trading our current bikes in for.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

I"m guessing the

+ New air intake

+ 2 into 1 exhaust? 

is to make it Euro5 compliant?

• Like 1

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

Looks great to me.  Some useful changes/improvements. Engine marginally lower numbers but I would not notice the difference.

Just do it! 

• Premium Member
6 minutes ago, DewMan said:

I"m guessing the

+ New air intake

+ 2 into 1 exhaust? 

is to make it Euro5 compliant?

Agree. 

They just market the changes like they had a choice....

• Like 1

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

• Premium Member

I might need to steal that dash & headlight for my 17. The rest is Meh for me.

• Like 3

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

59 minutes ago, DewMan said:

Same - I really like the new dash. The headlight I like, but depending on how difficult of a swap, I may pass haha - I like the headlight on my '18. 

1 hour ago, DewMan said:

I recently posted that I didn't care about dashes, but apparently I lied. I'm also wondering if they'll swap over to previous models.  :D

Headlight looks nice from the side. Front view might take getting used to. 

• Premium Member
3 minutes ago, shinyribs said:

I recently posted that I didn't care about dashes, but apparently I lied. I'm also wondering if they'll swap over to previous models.  :D

Headlight looks nice from the side. Front view might take getting used to. 

I'm just hoping it's a better functioning headlight. I'd hate to think it's worse than the 1st gen incandescent bulb.

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

3 minutes ago, DewMan said:

I'm just hoping it's a better functioning headlight. I'd hate to think it's worse than the 1st gen incandescent bulb.

I hope it's not actually LED. With an H4 bulb I know I can pick up a new bulb anywhere on the road over the next 20 years. When an LED headlight sh!ts the bed you're sunk. 

But yeah, our Gen 1 headlight lens is not the best thing ever. 

I really want to get my hands on the headlight. The gen 1 needs it. 
the dash may be harder because of the controls  on the thumbs. It’s the same dash as the new tracer700. 
I orderes a colourclusterz reverse lcd kit just to get that new feel ahah. 
seeing that they didn’t change the frame and brought back the gen1 fork covers I’m sure that it will be easy to swap. 

• Premium Member

I'm not a fan of "teaser" YouTube videos that don't really show the bike.... The dash is under-whelming to me. I've never been more happy with my 2016 FZ-07 than I am right now. The "Bling" & LED lights don't really move-me. I hate the fact that the MT-07 is STANDARD with the "budget-ABS".... Do it right, or don't do it at all!!!

• Like 1

""W.O.T. until you see god, then brake"

Why oh why does Yamaha deem the MT-07 to be some second class citizen in their lineup? Come on, they even went out of their way to make the MT-125 and MT-15 look better and provide newer forks etc. in the past year or two.

8 hours ago, br4nd0n said:

Why oh why does Yamaha deem the MT-07 to be some second class citizen in their lineup? Come on, they even went out of their way to make the MT-125 and MT-15 look better and provide newer forks etc. in the past year or two.

That is strange. While the 09 is more powerful, it seems the 07 is well respected by everyone. It is odd that they've yet to give it proper suspension.

Unless they've yet to turn enough profit on that particular model to warrant upgrading it, which you wouldn't think. Or it turns in to one of those models that never gets upgraded because people will continue to buy it anyway. 

I think it's the latter and they believe it will still sell regardless. To some extent this is correct, but it's shitty for the consumer and they may find themselves losing sales with the newer motorcycles from competitors like the new Triumph Trident etc.

Competition is good, but that doesn't seem to have affected Yamaha's decision to do nothing, but make changes for emission standards and slightly new plastics for the MT-07.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
6 hours ago, br4nd0n said:

Competition is good, but that doesn't seem to have affected Yamaha's decision to do nothing, but make changes for emission standards and slightly new plastics for the MT-07.

To be honest I prefer that they don't upgrade the suspension since I'm not the size rider they design for and would have to upgrade the suspension either way. I'd rather not take the price hit for an upgrade  I'm still not going to use..

• Like 1

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

At the very least they should make the forks adjustable because like you said, there will be people who are not the weight they initially designed it for. Will this fix the issue for everyone? No, but the point is to give people more flexibility with the settings. Also, this should not cost Yamaha that much extra, but I could see them being greedy and charging a lot more for it. 

The price will be interesting to see. The new Triumph Trident's price is keen and that must influence Yamaha. Triumph is now looking for some replacement sales which they lost to the MT-09.  MT-05 triple anyone....?

Just do it!