The MT-07 Forum

Strange ABS sound

Buyer

Hello there,

I'm currently in the process of buying a MT-07 from 2017 with 17k kilometers on it.

When I took the bike to test ride, I noticed the bike wouldn't start after the bike was shut off but the ignition kept on.
We concluded this must be a bad battery and the dealer is replacing it. But this wasn't the only thing I noticed. I also noticed when I break with ABS, a strange sound appeared. Upon searching online I found this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwVMvBjso1k which is the same as I heard.

I only heard the sound when I brake with ABS. ABS still works and no ABS light went on on the dashboard.

I've seen other threads on here about this sound, but it appeared when downshifting or randomly. Also i've seen answers saying they had this problem once in a while when not riding for a couple weeks.

I called an official Yamaha dealer and asked if this means the module is soon to break, he said they rarely break especially after a milage like this (17k km) he couldn't tell me for sure.

My question: could this sound be due to the bad battery, as it's an electrical component or could it be a sign that the ABS module will fail in the future? Would you still buy it with this sound or would you run away at this point?

Either way, when the battery is replaced and the sound still persists I will reconsider if I want to buy this specific bike.

Edited by Buyer

Hello, my 2016 does the same, Yamaha abs modules are problematic, they work but they sure are annoying...

I have an appointment at the dealer in two weeks regarding this. ABS works fine but that noise... It came with the bike at 12km when I bought it. It's now at 25k...

If anyone knows something specific please do tell. 

P.S. My friend's N-MAX did the same and the module was changed in warranty...

2 hours ago, VEXX said:

Hello, my 2016 does the same, Yamaha abs modules are problematic, they work but they sure are annoying...

I have an appointment at the dealer in two weeks regarding this. ABS works fine but that noise... It came with the bike at 12km when I bought it. It's now at 25k...

If anyone knows something specific please do tell. 

P.S. My friend's N-MAX did the same and the module was changed in warranty...

Hi VEXX, thanks for your reply.

At least it's a bit comforting to read that it didn't break after all those km's.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Yep this happened on my 2016 MT. It’s definitely the ABS module. Was told it wasn’t a sign of imminent failure, but just sounds annoying. Had it replaced under warranty. The 

Happening with the replacement as well. Not as much. No issues with functionality though even after 30,000kms

Edited by Adrian Amos