The MT-07 Forum

LED Indicators/Akrapovic Exhaust

biker2014

Hey! Ive been off here a while but finally got a deposit down on the bike (liquid graphite)...

Looking to add a few simple things on purchase so wonder who can help point me towards some options as Yamaha selection is limited. The dealer is willing to order from external sources.

1) LED Indicators - looking for some less orange and bug eyed! (Will be getting the Yosh tail tidy) I see some options on Motostarz.com. Stupid question....they come in pairs, are the suited for front AND back? Any other sources worth looking at?

2) Im set on getting another exhaust that sounds a little 'meatier'. Any pics of the akrapovic on an LG 07? HAs anyone opted for other options? Interested to hear thoughts.

Oh also on the exhaust, should you wait a few miles til installing or is it ok to get them installed from the start?

Thanks!

• Global Moderator

The LED signals on that site are expensive. There are cheaper options on eBay. You can use the same ones front and back, but if you use two wire ones on the front you will lose the running lights. I have been looking for some three wire ones for the front with no success so far. I think I will forgo the running lights to get rid of the OEM pumpkins.

thanks @mjh937 I had no idea about running lights whatever they are! and 2/3 wires! 1st bike i've bought and no technical knowledge at all.

was thinking it would be a straight forward thing to swap (well for the dealer who will fit them anyway!)

• Global Moderator

The stock front turn signals are always on. This is the running lights feature. The third wire is what powers those. If you hook up a two wire turn signal then the lights will be off when they are not flashing. If you install LED signals you will also need to install an electronic flasher relay otherwise the turn signals will flash very fast as the stock flasher needs the load from the incandescent bulbs to flash slowly (I think they do that so they will flash fast if a bulb is burnt out so you will notice). Hope this helps. I plan on getting myself LED signals and an electronic flasher for Christmas :).

Running light led turn signals  
I plan on using 5 ohm  5 watt resister in parallel to either the front or rear on both sides. That will take care of the fast blinking and cheaper to buy.

I purchased an electronic flasher for something like 15 bucks on eBay. I don't like resistors because of how hot they get,but they do work.

Guest August BB

I'm one of the few people on here who really likes or wants running amber lights on at all times (no clue why, just preference I suppose) which is the only reason I keep the pumpkins on. Like you mjh I've been searching for alternatives that allow me to keep the running lights on, but alas, not have found it.

Since the akrapovic was one of the first, if not the first after market exhaust when the mt hit, there are tons of pics of it via google. But if you meant the carbon fiber, well, those should be trickling in already.

As far as installing a new exhaust with a new bike, really the only issue I'm assuming is keeping the revs low (because you will be tempted to rev the bike for the sound) if you opt for manufacturer's break-in. So that's up to you. I installed my exhaust at 300 miles, so I may have installed it new. I suppose another thing is the header gasket which you will need to buy if you install later on, if you install on a new bike, you can just re-use the header gasket since it is still new. But overall to answer your question, whether you want to install it on a new bike, or later is completely up to you. But if there is some info I'm missing, by all means someone please correct me as I'm just posting through assumption and observation.

I was looking at these LED turn signals. Has anyone here used them?  I like the fact they come with the adapter plate. 

I like the flexible stock on those. I would be weary of the led used though. It doesn't look very bright. It will probably keep the coppers of your back, but it doesn't look like it will be very visible. Especially with the competing headlight next to it.

I suppose another thing is the header gasket which you will need to buy if you install later on, if you install on a new bike, you can just re-use the header gasket since it is still new.

This is a little more blurry than cut and dry. Technically, once the gasket is compressed, you need to replace it because it has already crush-formed into place. With that said, certain gaskets, especially specific designs and materials do get re-used sometimes. As a well-educated, former auto tech, I would always recommend to YOU to replace the gasket, but I don't always follow my advice ????

If you replace it at 300 or 3000 you SHOULD replace it. I put my pipe on at 2400 miles and did not replace mine and I have no exhaust leaks. So the auto tech in me says replace. The realist says, your probably fine replacing it at pretty much any mileage(within reason) reusing the exhaust gaskets.

Archived