The MT-07 Forum

Street/Strip XSR 700 Build

blackout

13 minutes ago, blackout said:

Right trestle piece mocked up.  The clearance issue for the new frame pivot position is shown in close up.   It looks fine now because the bushings are in the down position,  but once they are rotated 180 degrees that's where it gets close and I may have to relocate or remove the abs braking junction block.  No big deal, just something I have been considering. 

20210301_180431.jpg

20210301_180553.jpg

Nice fabricating, wish I had that ability.

• Like 3

On 3/1/2021 at 6:13 PM, blackout said:

Right trestle piece mocked up.  The clearance issue for the new frame pivot position is shown in close up.   It looks fine now because the bushings are in the down position,  but once they are rotated 180 degrees that's where it gets close and I may have to relocate or remove the abs braking junction block.  No big deal, just something I have been considering. 

20210301_180431.jpg

20210301_180553.jpg

Hey Buddy You dont have new update about this swingarm.

• Premium Member
6 hours ago, ArturoM07 said:

Hey Buddy You dont have new update about this swingarm.

It's a slow process.  The local drag strip opens up late April.  And then I need to go over the FZ07R for some more fun at NYST.   Plan on attending some rainy days with my still unused race wets.

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

@blackout Nice looking work. I am envious of your skills and your shop/tool collection. Looking forward to seeing more updates.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
On 1/9/2021 at 10:39 PM, blackout said:

The XSR700 has less room under the seat than the FZ07.   The Hordpower airbox opened up some space so I welded up an aluminum box to house the Power Commander and Autotune. 

So much of these projects need to be anodized black at some point.  I use 5xxx filler rod as it anodizes better than 4xxx filler rod.  (Sorry, forget the exact number and too lazy to check.  I can check if needed.)

5086 is my favorite sheet aluminum to weld as it does not need filler rod to weld if the joint is tight with no gaps and does not require extra joint strength.  All other aluminum can hot crack after welded if not enough filler is used, especially 6061.  Why people weld 6061 sheet is beyond me.  5086 is also more corrosion resistant than 6061.  5086 is weaker, but some what moot since 6061 will lose its strength once welded, unless heat treated.

20210109_223357.jpg

20210109_223247.jpg

20210109_223158.jpg

Craig, are you using the AT-200 Autotune with the PCV?

Ed

"Do not let this bad example influence you, follow only what is good" 

• Premium Member
13 hours ago, Evill_Ed said:

Craig, are you using the AT-200 Autotune with the PCV?

Ed

Yes I am.  I'll install Hord's base map and then compare his map to the Autotune map at the dragstrip.

As many know, with the PCV, you can have two maps to switch back and forth on the fly.

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, blackout said:

Yes I am.  I'll install Hord's base map and then compare his map to the Autotune map at the dragstrip.

As many know, with the PCV, you can have two maps to switch back and forth on the fly.

Thanks, so the AT-200 is pretty much plug and play with the PCV?

BTW - think I'm gonna pull the trigger on the Hord Air box today. (I haven't spent any FZ money yet this year 🙁)

Ed

• Like 1

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, Evill_Ed said:

Thanks, so the AT-200 is pretty much plug and play with the PCV?

BTW - think I'm gonna pull the trigger on the Hord Air box today. (I haven't spent any FZ money yet this year 🙁)

Ed

Yes, plug and play. 

The Hord intake is worth every penny. 

• Like 1

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

• Premium Member

I finished the trestle and mounted the swingarm back on the bike.  I did some final welding, but still have more areas to do that I can't get to when mounted to the jig. 

I goofed and did not add much clearance between the chain and the left trestle tube.  It does not hit, but is close, just under 1/8".   This is a 525 chain.  I'm wondering how much clearance I will gain with a 520 chain?  Are 520 sprocket kits shimmed to be centered where the 525 was, or do you gain the full width of clearance on the outside from the narrower 520 chain?  I hope I'm making sense.   Any thoughts on this close clearance?  Thanks!

20210321_104239.jpg

20210321_104155.jpg

20210321_104133.jpg

20210321_104108.jpg

20210321_104044.jpg

• Like 5

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

• Premium Member

Looking Great as usual. Nice Fab Work Craig 👍

Ed

• Like 1

8 hours ago, blackout said:

I finished the trestle and mounted the swingarm back on the bike.  I did some final welding, but still have more areas to do that I can't get to when mounted to the jig. 

I goofed and did not add much clearance between the chain and the left trestle tube.  It does not hit, but is close, just under 1/8".   This is a 525 chain.  I'm wondering how much clearance I will gain with a 520 chain?  Are 520 sprocket kits shimmed to be centered where the 525 was, or do you gain the full width of clearance on the outside from the narrower 520 chain?  I hope I'm making sense.   Any thoughts on this close clearance?  Thanks!

20210321_104239.jpg

20210321_104155.jpg

20210321_104133.jpg

20210321_104108.jpg

20210321_104044.jpg

Never seen 520 sprockets shimmed, so I think you should gain the full benefit in clearance from the narrower chain.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, AP996 said:

Never seen 520 sprockets shimmed, so I think you should gain the full benefit in clearance from the narrower chain.

Doing a little more research and thinking about it more, I agree.  Thanks for the input!!  All the sprockets are flat on the back.  Good news for me as I don't really have time to redo that section of the swingarm.  520 conversion it is.

• Like 1

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

3 minutes ago, blackout said:

Doing a little more research and thinking about it more, I agree.  Thanks for the input!!  All the sprockets are flat on the back.  Good news for me as I don't really have time to redo that section of the swingarm.  520 conversion it is.

Ran 520 on all my old race bikes and my present track bike, as you say sprockets have always been flat.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

I finished the bellcrank bracket.  I have a Penske double adjustable on order.  It will be valved for street/strip use.  Penske and M2 shocks are the two big names in drag racing.   M2 is mostly drag racing and while assembled in the U.S., uses Nitron parts.   So they are "Nitron" drag shocks, pretty cool.  I went with Penske simply because they are familiar with XSR700 packaging.  M2 mostly does the popular drag bikes.

20210330_215835.jpg

20210330_185041.jpg

• Like 8

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

• 1 month later...
  • Premium Member

Painted the swingarm with bright red Klass Kote epoxy paint.  Came out good for being an amateur painter.  The stock caliper bracket is modified for a lower torque rod.

20210417_201829.jpg

20210421_103033.jpg

20210421_103827.jpg

• Like 3

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

• Premium Member
12 hours ago, Mad said:

Looks Italianish ,I love it !

How much longer it is ?

7 inches over.

• Like 1