The MT-07 Forum

Street/Strip XSR 700 Build

blackout

• Premium Member

When I purchased the XSR 700 this past spring, I said it would remain mostly stock.   Well, 3500 mile later and three trips to the local drag strip, I have plans for a street/strip XSR700 build.   On the list so far is a custom extended swingarm, custom 2 into 2 exhaust, Power Commander V with Auto Tune, shift light, and Hord Power intake.   I'm running low 13's and high 12's in the 1/4 mile.   I still need to launch better and I can not see the tach to know when to shift.  I'm learning to clutchless upshift.  I was surprised to find the front will lift in 2nd gear in stock trim.    While I bracket raced cars when I was younger, bracket racing bikes is new to me.

9-19-20-187.JPG

9-19-20-133.JPG

• Like 7

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

Sounds like a fun project!

I would chat with Hord about your plans to run auto tune with his intake - you might find that his PCV map (alone) is perfectly adequate for this application.

I'm very interested to see how these mods improve your final speed through the traps.

• Like 1

Fantastic bike and even better idea !

You made me follow a thread of yours ones again 😂!

For the swingarm you may even use the tracer 700’s  one, longer, aluminum with the possibility of using spools and a decent chain tensioner (but the one side swingarm project is calling 😂😂

I use a sequential shift light , I really like it Over the one led variant, this is the link :

lightronic.png

Universal shiftlight

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mad said:

For the swingarm you may even use the tracer 700’s  one, longer, aluminum

I didn't know the tracer's swingarm was alloy (I knew it was longer). Interesting!

• Premium Member
5 hours ago, Mad said:

Fantastic bike and even better idea !

You made me follow a thread of yours ones again 😂!

For the swingarm you may even use the tracer 700’s  one, longer, aluminum with the possibility of using spools and a decent chain tensioner (but the one side swingarm project is calling 😂😂

I use a sequential shift light , I really like it Over the one led variant, this is the link :

lightronic.png

Universal shiftlight

Ah yes, the single sided swingarm project that never got started.  Lol. The added expense of new wheels has me working on a round tube trestle style double sided swingarm.   I settled on .095" wall, 1.5" diameter DOM mild steel for the main tubes.  Had that already in stock from a race car project years ago.  Lol.  And 1" diameter for the trestle support tubes.  As of now, I plan on 6" or 8" over.   I want to be able to launch hard and consistent.  The grip at the local track is nuts.  At the start line, my feet stick to the pavement.

• Like 1

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

• Premium Member

If you go with RapidBike, you could get the optional YouTune module which has Launch Control :)

- Paul

• Like 1

• Premium Member
37 minutes ago, pgeldz said:

If you go with RapidBike, you could get the optional YouTune module which has Launch Control :)

- Paul

I'll have to look into that.  So I assume the YouTune is a wide band auto tune feature?

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

• Premium Member
25 minutes ago, blackout said:

I'll have to look into that.  So I assume the YouTune is a wide band auto tune feature?

It's auto tune in real time by default, using the stock 02 sensor, but they have the My Tune model which is a wide band for faster and more accurate changes :)

• Like 1

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, pgeldz said:

- Paul

Am I the only one who read that as "optional YouTube module"? 😆

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

hype! excited to see it. any thoughts of any performance upgrades other than what you mentioned previously? 

• Premium Member
7 minutes ago, FrodoFZ said:

hype! excited to see it. any thoughts of any performance upgrades other than what you mentioned previously? 

A mild shot of dry nitrous.  With the nitrous nozzles tapped into the back plate of the Hordpower airbox.

I'll want a drag shock too.  The swingarm is going to alter the stock wheel motion ratio, so valving and spring rate will be off.   I think Penske has drag valving experience.

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

that is cool.

17 minutes ago, blackout said:

A mild shot of dry nitrous. 

With the nitrous nozzles tapped into the back plate of the Hordpower airbox.

• Premium Member

I started machining the right side axle plate for the new swingarm.  Just using cold rolled 1018 steel.  This will be a slow process as I make time during my normal work day.   I was glad to use the boring head that I bought last year for the custom top triple.  I just had to buy a left hand cutting bar since I'm machine an outside diameter this time.

I did more research on fuel controllers and I'm still sold on the Dynojet products, but I still have time to change my mind.  Lol. With their Pod 300 display, Autotune, and PCV, I think I get all I need including a two step launch control, data logger for air fuel ratio, and even a shift light.  

20201013_085604.jpg

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

• Global Moderator
On 10/7/2020 at 9:35 AM, pgeldz said:

If you go with RapidBike, you could get the optional YouTune module which has Launch Control 

Why take away the most challenging part of the drag - the launch and give it to an EPROM chip?

You go to the drags to race, but the best part of the challenge, any challenge, is you experiencing yourself. You vs you is the best part

• Like 1

• Premium Member
27 minutes ago, Pursuvant said:

Why take away the most challenging part of the drag - the launch and give it to an EPROM chip?

You go to the drags to race, but the best part of the challenge, any challenge, is you experiencing yourself. You vs you is the best part

Maybe because the guy you are racing has it.  Not sure about RapidBike, but Dynojet's LC is only a 2 step rev limiter.   A true LC would control traction and wheelies as well.

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

• Global Moderator
28 minutes ago, blackout said:

Maybe because the guy you are racing has it

You can beat that computer. I know that you know, given some practice, you could out- brake the ABS on your bike... Same goes for launch control. With practice, you could have an "unfair" advantage, because you use that smart brain of yours

• Like 1

• Premium Member
6 minutes ago, Pursuvant said:

You can beat that computer. I know that you know, given some practice, you could out- brake the ABS on your bike... Same goes for launch control. With practice, you could have an "unfair" advantage, because you use that smart brain of yours

Yup, I agree.   That's why some racers will choose their rear brake to control a wheelie over electronic wheelie control.

But, most likely, RapidBike is similar to Dynojet and is just a launch rev limiter.  So it's some what moot.

• Like 1

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

• Premium Member
19 hours ago, blackout said:

Yup, I agree.   That's why some racers will choose their rear brake to control a wheelie over electronic wheelie control.

But, most likely, RapidBike is similar to Dynojet and is just a launch rev limiter.  So it's some what moot.

It's a launch rev limiter, AND TC, fully customizeable :)

• Like 1

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, pgeldz said:

It's a launch rev limiter, AND TC, fully customizeable :)

Interesting,  I'll have to look further into it.  It might be me, but it seemed their website was limited with the details.   

• Like 1

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

I would say launch/wheelie control and quick shifter and you are golden on the electronic package ! 

maybe they have something helpful:

a 200 wheel with a longer swingarm will surely help, maybe even making the launch control unnecessary but I would not ignore the quick shifter    

• Like 1

• Premium Member
50 minutes ago, Mad said:

I would say launch/wheelie control and quick shifter and you are golden on the electronic package ! 

maybe they have something helpful:

a 200 wheel with a longer swingarm will surely help, maybe even making the launch control unnecessary but I would not ignore the quick shifter    

Dunlop came out with their Dragmax about a year ago.  It's what most the street class bikes are running now.  It's a 190 and fits the stock 5.5" XSR700 rim.  I need to find out if its heavier than a 180 Q4.  If it is, the Q4 might be better for my bike.   The 190 Dragmax is getting bikes down the quarter in 6.5 seconds at 200 mph!!!  

• Like 1

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

Well..  that is faster than a “ my parents aren’t home”  fast ..

I really don’t know how much the added mass will compare to the increased grip, maybe is better going with the drag max and literally dropping a front disk ? 😂 

• Like 1

• Premium Member

A little more progress today. 

20201016_152848.jpg

• Like 2

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

• Premium Member

Right axle plate done for the most part.

20201019_152136.jpg

20201019_152048.jpg

• Like 3

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York