The MT-07 Forum

Patching tire - bad idea?

bartman5impson

bartman5impson

Was changing my chain when I noticed this nail in my rear tire. I haven’t pulled it out yet but the tire has already deflated.
On a scale of 1(just as good) to 10(you’ll die), where would you rate riding on a patched tire?
I'm thinking of taking it to a shop to get a legit patch done on the inside of the tire.

52C20B36-357D-476E-ADE4-29F37A7295B9.thumb.jpeg.3a211e4e26dab39aca72e463feb0335d.jpeg

Edited by bartman5impson

• Premium Member

If you get it patched internally I'd give it a 2.  👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

Patches require the reliability of the adhesive used to stay in place. Rope plugs rely on mechanical interference fit/friction.  I've had zero issues patching inner tubes, but the installation of those patches are somewhat reinforced once they are reinflated inside a tire. An internal patch on a tubeless tire doesn't get that added level of reinforcement. 

I would jam a rope plug in there and forget about it ( as I've done many times in the the past 25 years), but the choice is ultimately yours. 

• Premium Member
56 minutes ago, shinyribs said:

Patches require the reliability of the adhesive used to stay in place. Rope plugs rely on mechanical interference fit/friction.  I've had zero issues patching inner tubes, but the installation of those patches are somewhat reinforced once they are reinflated inside a tire. An internal patch on a tubeless tire doesn't get that added level of reinforcement. 

I would jam a rope plug in there and forget about it ( as I've done many times in the the past 25 years), but the choice is ultimately yours. 

I politely disagree with your opinion on internal patches. ✌️

Internal patches with an integrated plug (anything less is just an innertube patch IMO) are what both the NHTSA and the TireIndustry.org  say is the correct repair. 

I'm not saying a rope repair may not last you the life of your tire, but it's not as secure as an integrated patch/plug that is properly installed.

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

No argument there. I just put more faith in life experiences than I do lawyer-fueled documents.

Don't forget: Don't eat the contents of your battery! :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, shinyribs said:

2 hours ago, DewMan said:

I politely disagree with your opinion on internal patches. ✌️

Internal patches with an integrated plug (anything less is just an innertube patch IMO) are what both the NHTSA and the TireIndustry.org  say is the correct repair. 

I'm not saying a rope repair may not last you the life of your tire, but it's not as secure as an integrated patch/plug that is properly installed.

I agree, the mushroom style internal patch will be more or less locked in place by the stem, plus the fact is by Pascal's Principle the pressure on the patch will be equal to the pressure on all the other surfaces inside.  It is pressed against the surface under it when inflated.  It is not floating in there only held by glue.

• Premium Member
41 minutes ago, klx678 said:

I agree, the mushroom style internal patch will be more or less locked in place by the stem, plus the fact is by Pascal's Principle the pressure on the patch will be equal to the pressure on all the other surfaces inside.  It is pressed against the surface under it when inflated.  It is not floating in there only held by glue.

I'm not a fan of the mushroom patches. I have first hand experience with them, though not on a M/C, and they're hit or miss as to whether they'll seal the hole depending on the angle of the puncture.

They work best when the puncture is perpendicular to the tread. If it's not a straight through hole, ie it's angled into the tread, the mushroom seal will have more difficulty seating against the inside surface properly. I'd have more faith in a rope in the case of a more angled puncture.

In my experience on M/Cs the patch/plug type doesn't suffer with angled punctures unless it's an extremely low angle of puncture since it's a more flexible and larger inside surface area that's bonded to the inside surface of the tired.

There's also more to a plug solution than just making it air tight.

combination-patch.jpg.e39fab7311492a2cc354073ab89f5b02.jpg

You can use any solution that you're comfortable with. I'm not trying to preach, just making sure everyone has the information to make an informed decision.  ✌️

• Like 2

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

I’ve used rope plugs, no issues. That said, I would not run a plugged tire on the track, plus it will fail tech if they see it. 

• Global Moderator
On 10/2/2020 at 11:49 AM, shinyribs said:

I would jam a rope plug in there and forget about it

Picked up a six penny nail rear tire center of tread on a dunlop q3+ I just bought 3k miles ago. Stuffed a plug in it like always to ride on till I get to the shop.

But I'm feel'in the karma that says "you're already old, just ride it out, or at least a couple of weeks of smokey rubber fun". 

And I never have read a story anywhere about a bike/rope plug failure

17 hours ago, Pursuvant said:

Picked up a six penny nail rear tire center of tread on a dunlop q3+ I just bought 3k miles ago. Stuffed a plug in it like always to ride on till I get to the shop.

But I'm feel'in the karma that says "you're already old, just ride it out, or at least a couple of weeks of smokey rubber fun". 

And I never have read a story anywhere about a bike/rope plug failure

There's a trend that been been building over the past 5-10 or so where people won't rely on something unless there's some form of electronic technology incorporated in to it. If the product itself doesn't contain any electronics they will advertise how it was "computer designed!", as if a computer can just turn itself on and design a thing without a human brain controlling it. 

Mechanical engineering is nothing more than a history of recorded failures. Our ancestors built something and, if it failed, we'd make a note if it. "Uh, let's not do that again....". 

I too have never seen a rope plug fail. I've seen people try to fill huge gashes with rope plugs, but that's just a lack of common sense...or an extreme attempt just trying to get back to civilization :D

Rope plugs are not elegant. The majority of young people today will never trust one. But several generations of motorists got by on them for decades with no issue. Fifty years ago keeping tires inflated was a big deal. Not so much today with modern roads. 

Disclaimer: I'm not trying to strongly advocate for rope plugs and their use over any other method. Just putting it out there. 

I got a flat on a drag slick between rounds once. No time to do anything. I jammed a rope plug in and was back in the burnout box less than an hour later. I finished the season out with that pair of slicks. 1,000+ hp pushing a 3,000lb door car and dozens of burnouts never budged that rope plug. People need to make their own decisions within their comfort level, but I'll never be convinced that ropes just fall out. 

• Like 1

• Global Moderator
2 hours ago, shinyribs said:

I jammed a rope plug in.....finished the season out with that pair of slicks

That's pretty impressive for a $5 fix, done in 5 minutes. You can't beat rope for a roadside patch

1 hour ago, Pursuvant said:

That's pretty impressive for a $5 fix, done in 5 minutes. You can't beat rope for a roadside patch

I never expected it to last. I just hoped it would hold long around to make one round. It made a believer of me!