The MT-07 Forum

R6 Throttle Tube

TucksFz07

Hello everyone!

I purchased my very first street bike about a month ago, and of course, I had to go with the 2017 FZ 07. Every forum/reddit post I have read mentions the R6 Throttle Tube upgrade. A couple of quick questions:

1.) Does it matter what year you purchase the OEM R6 throttle tube from? (For example will a 2016 R6 throttle tube work for my bike?)

2.) When purchasing the tube, are there any other purchases I need to make? (grips or anything..?)

Thank you in advance for anyone who may answer!

The tube is a direct replacement, no parts needed for the swap. You have to dink with the cable adjusters a wee bit because the R6 tube has a larger diameter and needs some slack to fit into the cable collar. Then I'd put a matching set of your favorite grips on there for $10.

• Like 2

+1 on a set of grips. They do sell R6 tubes with the R6 grip on it that you can leave (and have mismatching grips), but I'd recommend a set of new ones. I'm not sure if it was just me, but getting the OEM grips off was a pain - I sliced them off and still had some difficulty with all the glue Yamaha used from the factory.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
36 minutes ago, 7fold said:

+1 on a set of grips. They do sell R6 tubes with the R6 grip on it that you can leave (and have mismatching grips), but I'd recommend a set of new ones. I'm not sure if it was just me, but getting the OEM grips off was a pain - I sliced them off and still had some difficulty with all the glue Yamaha used from the factory.

Or you can take off the grip from your current tube and put it on the R6 tube.

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.