The MT-07 Forum

MT07 Rust issue?

Grant31781

I watched a video on youtube about the MT07 and this guy said they have rust problems. Have any of you had any rust issues? So far I have not.

• Premium Member

The only reported rust issue I've heard of is surface rust on the welds of the swingarm. 

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

Ah, definitive, insightful, videography from yet another web expert that has neither owned nor operated the vehicle in question yet has amassed an encyclopedic wealth of information in his parents basement from the far reaches of the internet. 

Oops, sorry, my swinger gets a fleck or two of rust on occasion but would take 10,000 years to amount to anything and I don't plan on being around long enough for it to matter. 😀

• Like 1

The only rust I have on my 2016 is as said above, paint flake along the weld on the swing arm causing a bit of surface rust.

Bike from 2014, no rust (only the well known spot beneath the chain guard. I fixed this already).

Will the bike break into pieces 10 years after all fuel vehicles are forbidden and we can do nothing against that or what is supposed to happen?  :D

It a motorbike. If there is rust, disassemble it, sandblast it, give it a nice funky new painting/coating and ready for next ten years. Some people do this for fun even without rust.

• Like 2

oh yes the old automatic weight reduction, unfortunately just some were the pain is ruined, no "wow I lost the subframe with my girlfriend on it" type of deal 

I rub in a little motor oil or mineral oil in the seams on swing arm and inside the hole near exhaust. And keep an eye on it. Luckily I dont have it that bad. Though I wonder what it looks like on inside...

Edited by Kyuzo

You can use products for corrosion protection in such closed cavities. I tried Fluid Film AS-R, easy to use as a spray can. It's ok in the swingarm.
It's not ok inside the frame close to the motor. It becomes very liquid because of the heat and leaves the frame, ask my how I know :)
149807549_corrosionprotection.thumb.jpg.b173f1f7d6e709e541c4ad189ca95e1c.jpg