The MT-07 Forum

what is this bracket?

firstyammerha

I've had this bike for almost five years now and never noticed this drilled and tapped bracket above the radiator on the right side upper frame before. I don't think I've lost anything so can someone identify this brackets purpose?

P9230001.JPG

I don't remember taking anything out of it when I stripped my bike back in '15. My guess would be an unused mounting point for a different variant of our model. Something like California emissions canister or plumbing fastener or abs module or bodywork variant mounting or whatever, who knows? I checked the good book and couldn't see anything obvious related to that point. I know I use it now for mounting my ECU bracket. Maybe they put it there just for me?

20160410_152325-4-1.jpg.5bb50420a5935337f8b0f34124bfa428.jpg

As far as I remember the bracket plate 1WS-21158-00-00 is resting upon this bracket, it holds the ECU and ABS module. I only have this old picture, I had to push the plate to the side to reach the right spark plug.

IMG_20181228_171607.jpg

There it is shown in the drawing:
bracket-right.png.7e0539535174bd726ccab10ea4267179.png

Ah non! I was in the garage and rotated your picture 2780° to find the correct orientation :D

It is for the screw that holds the black bracket thing, or not?:

PXL_20200924_122351445_noexif.thumb.jpg.f65cfafb05151dfeff5c7c86d8afe437.jpg

Edited by ElGonzales

On my ‘18 it’s for a small bracket that I think serves to keep the lines from rubbing the head tube and wearing it down. 

edit: pics got rotated. Bottom is on the right. 

FCE8E0C4-04F8-41F5-8BDD-A5EDD97B5ED4.jpeg

635FFD96-A828-4114-A075-295399DF0C6F.jpeg

Edited by JayMT07

Instagram: @jayparrington 

it's just a support to guide the brake lines on abs models ( the abs module is just under the tank on the right side).  

I'm probably the only one to have changed it for a carbon fiber one 🤣

• Like 1

• Premium Member
44 minutes ago, Mad said:

it's just a support to guide the brake lines on abs models ( the abs module is just under the tank on the right side).  

I'm probably the only one to have changed it for a carbon fiber one 🤣

Here is a picture of my 2017 ABS model . The sideways coat hanger looking device is bolted to it. It is holding the 2 brake lines(from the front master cylinder and coming from the front wheel) from touching the head tube. Not really sure what the point of it is.

20200925_173642_SMALL.thumb.jpg.0e0c04a255e4455c68f552906c11b57b.jpg

• Like 1

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, Mad said:

sorry yesterday a did a pretty long ride and the bike is quite dirty 

You went with CF but didn't replace the stock bolt with Titanium? 

Wow.  Only did half the job.  😁

JK ✌️

I've looked at mine and I'm not sure I see the point of the part. the brake line has minimal chance of rubbing against the head stock as it is.. but I'd think I'd rather it rub on the head-stock that the relatively sharper edge of the "coat hanger'  whether it be made of heavy wire or CF. 

Other than the slight chance of rubbing the paint off the  the head-stock eventually, which I don't see this part doing a very good job of protecting against anyway, can someone explain why they went to this expense? Since I'm sure there's a reason for it or they wouldn't have wasted the $$ designing and implementing this solution.

• Haha 1

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

• Premium Member
18 minutes ago, Mad said:

Maybe the tubes will bend and kink without it 🤔

I will confess, I had a piece of flat cf almost perfectly the shape of the original part, and this is why 😂 

I'm assuming you smoothed the edges well so as to minimize the risk of chafing a hole in the the lines?

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

Thanks everybody. I knew the community would come up with an explanation . I suspected it had something to do with the ABS model of our bike but wanted to ensure that I hadn't lost some obscure part that would send me on a wild goose chase to replace.