The MT-07 Forum

Rear suspension preload - went out of recommended range

beli

Hi all,

Yesterday I've tried to adjust my rear preload on my 2020 MT07. I wanted to make it a bit softer so went down from standard setting(4), I think it went below 1 as I heard some worrying sound when doing it.

I want to go back to the previous setting which I had(4) but cant go up anymore, looks like its now stuck?

Has this happened to anyone else? How do I go back to stiffer setting?

Edited by beli

They do make horrible noises when the adjuster jumps around on to different ramps. I'm sure you didn't accidentally hurt anything. 

They are pretty hard to turn. The tool that comes with the bike doesn't fit extremely well and access is tight, making it even harder to turn. 

Tool kits used to come with a bit of pipe to extend the handles for leverage. Something like that might help you get it back where you want it. 

• Like 2

From the factory the bike comes with the preload set at 2 if you go beyond 1 there is a big drop off that makes it impossible to just reverse directions. No harm has been done, the only problem you'll have is you have to keep turning in the same direction which means you'll be working backwards from the stiffest preload. The tool in the tool kit is not up to this.  You need a tool like this: https://www.jpcycles.com/product/7000080/j-p-cycles-shock-spanner-wrench. It's not an expensive tool and works on most shocks. Good luck