The MT-07 Forum

Rain doesn't play well with a pulled snorkel

Pursuvant

• Global Moderator

We're having rain on Gulf Coast, something reminded me of a test I wanted to do after I pulled the airbox lid snorkel - will there be any rain or bike washing making its way inside the airbox without the snorkel?

Parked the bike out in the rain for 15 minutes, on side stand with the stock seat in place, engine off, covered only my ignition and electronics/hand controls.

And here's the pic of result

IMG_20200922_101819091.thumb.jpg.d0032554175cadde35e2519121174a27.jpg

Maybe that's why the snorkel had such an excellent waterproof fitment where it passed thru the airbox lid, and the snorkel turned 90 degrees to verticle. Yamaha knew there's a lot of dripping water in that area - it's just normal for bikes to get wet around the top of airbox/battery area.

I'm not putting the snorkel back in, not when I'm running an ecu map made with it pulled. I'm a fair weather rider, but I will play with an idea or two for getting tank water runoff a little further away, to keep airbox top dry in all engine off circumstances.

FYI not sure pic captured it but there was water drops not just in back side of lid, water had wetted the entire lid, just less volume as you move forward.

Edited by Pursuvant
  • Like 1

Yes, but is it really a problem? 

will it run? Running, does it stay wet or will it dry from airflow?

in the old days, dumping small amounts of water into the carb did wonders to de carbon the engine. Not needed now with better fuel, additives,  and such....just sayin. 

• Like 1

• Global Moderator
1 hour ago, Two-rocks said:

Yes, but is it really a problem? 

Keep in mind that was 15 minutes of sitting parked in rain. My first thoughts were if your bike is parked at work 8 hours on rainy day, might want to pop seat and stuff a plastic bag in there.

Picture doesn't do justice to how much wet, and how fast it got there. Don't care about riding in rain, but don't want to hit the start button if there's a mosquito pond inside the bottom of air filter.

I don't know if it will flow into open top, I'm just sharing what I do know, there's rain getting in around that open top.

You make the call for u

Edited by Pursuvant

• Premium Member

Thanks for testing that @Pursuvant. That's more water than I expected considering it's location under the seat.

I'm not saying it won't get wet under the seat especially during hurricane induced weather, but I'm not sure it would be enough to cause an issue. 

I've been caught in serious rain on occasion here in Florida where it downpours every summer afternoon for a short while.

While parked is when it's most likely to get water collection in/near the airbox,  but while moving, with airflow both around and through the airbox, i don't think enough water would collect inside the airbox at one time to be an issue.  Unless you're out surfing the hurricane winds on your bike that is. 

But I could be wrong. ✌️

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

• Global Moderator
1 hour ago, DewMan said:

parked is when it's most likely to get water collection in/near the airbox

Ya I only care about when parked engine off condition.

I'm going to test more next bike wash, I want to know more about where the water I don't want gets in.

But for sure every bike wash from now on, I will stuff a plastic bag in there. That's probably only change I make in the end to my habits, I'm curious but this is not a very interesting mod if something does need done. SO Boring

4 hours ago, scat2me said:

I was always told not to pull my snorkel

I was told it would make you go blind, I stopped when I had to get glasses.

• Haha 3