The MT-07 Forum

Do all 2016 models come with ABS?

AshJess25!

Hi, i'll be checking an mt-07 2016 model with 3,400 miles in a couple of days. The owner doesn't know if it has abs.... I've checked via vin number but couldn't find out whether it has abs or not. So, i'm wondering if all of 2016 models have abs. I can get this bike for a really good price of $4200 and not having abs will be a deal breaker for me. I guess only way to find out is for me to inspect the bike more in person but id rather find out before making the 1hr drive. 

• Premium Member

If it has ABS you'll see these slotted disks on the wheels. Also there is an "ABS" light on the dash when you power up the bike that should go away shortly after you start moving when ridden.
ABS_disk_front.thumb.jpg.977c017b616c26ef71cef4646b9f6ab0.jpgABS_disk_rear.thumb.jpg.706779f561400f84a524a47ed35f4658.jpg

• Like 3

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

• Global Moderator

I am pretty sure 2917 was the first year for ABS in the US, abs only on the red ones.  In addition to the sensors mentioned in the previous post they had an ABS decal on the front fender. 

• Like 3

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, mjh937 said:

I am pretty sure 2917 was the first year for ABS in the US, abs only on the red ones.  In addition to the sensors mentioned in the previous post they had an ABS decal on the front fender. 

he said a 2016 MT-07 not FZ-07.  European 2016 MT-07s did have ABS. so I figured just to be sure I'd have him verify. 

• Like 2

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

Thanks for the help everyone. The bike does not have abs on the cluster nor does it have the sensor at the wheel. I'm so torn, I really like the bike and it's such a good deal. I've ridden my 1975 cb750 all throughout college and now getting back into riding after 2 years. I kinda like having abs as some sort of safety net just in case. 

If the safety net of abs is what has you hung up, I'm not sure I would let that stop me.

I've owned/ridden/loved several CB750's through the years. Single and twin cams. I got nothing bad to say about them. Moving to an 07 and it's modern chassis is such a jump in technology that just riding the bike in general is a big boost in safety. 

I'm not the kind of person to bash old bikes and call them death traps. I flogged my CB's like they owed me money and loved it. I didn't bitch about the bike being unsafe or hard to ride, just learned to ride through its weakness and had a blast. Some even got highly modified suspension. Regardless, riding the 07 is effortless in comparison. It does everything quicker and smoother with no effort from you. It'll turn so easy, stop so quickly and swerve so effortlessly. 

I personally didn't like the abs system on the 07 I tested. Could've got a great deal on that demo bike, but I paid extra for a '16 instead. If you feel you need abs, nobody should shame you for that. But I haven't locked up a tire in the 20k miles I've ridden this bike.  Feedback is great and you know exactly when you're at the threshold of locking up. 

Many people really nitpick these bikes. They're not the cream of the technological crop, but they're so far betond what we had back in the day that it's unreal. 

I will never stop loving riding old bikes. But I have no desire to ride one fast after riding modern bikes. Abs or not, these bikes are safer just throwing a leg over them. 

• Like 1

On 9/20/2020 at 12:23 PM, DewMan said:

he said a 2016 MT-07 not FZ-07.  European 2016 MT-07s did have ABS. so I figured just to be sure I'd have him verify. 

Sorry for the typo, I am inquiring about the 2016 FZ-07's. The mt and fz names are used interchangeably online so much that it kind of confused me. 

• Like 1