The MT-07 Forum

The walkabout

Pursuvant

• Global Moderator

Old farts spew just because there are all experience levels on the forum. Here I go

Every time b4 I pilot that seat, I do a walkabout. Clear my head and start my pre-check.

I physically put my hand (and more important my eye's attention) on the port side axle (xsr700), the chain tensioner nuts, around to starboard I do the same check, tensioner nuts, axle, grab rear caliper and wiggle it), rear master cylinder adjust nuts (cause I adjusted a week ago), move the clutch push lever back 'n forth while I watch the handlebar clutch lever to see it move about 1/4" in freeplay, look at front caliper bolts while grabbing and wiggle, front axle and pinch bolt, around to port for same check on port side front caliper.

And check that damn rear breaklight every time, just put one hand behind the light and press the foot lever and handlebar front brake lever.

Takes about 10 seconds.

There's stuff I look at once a day, but you know what it is already... Remember to add anything you monkeyed with in last 2 weeks, or worse yet a mechanic touched.

For a new header, check that manifold torque every day for 5 days after install, then go check it again every couple of weeks. It'll take another pound a month later on one or more of the nuts, and that's when you'll feel that satisfaction inside thinking "I'm a motorhead".

Peace all, and enjoy that skin between your wrist and elbow, you probably will never have to re-grow it ever

Edited by Pursuvant
  • Like 1