The MT-07 Forum

My Experience with 2WDW

longrider1951

• Premium Member
On 9/17/2020 at 6:42 PM, longrider1951 said:

I had a chance to wring out 4th gear and it was still pulling strong when I hit the Rev Limiter at about 95 MPH. 

I assume you meant when you hit the redline? I believe 2WDW removes the rev limits, unless you requested that they not?

Not trying to be picky just didn't want anyone assuming that the rev limits were still in place after a 2WDW flash unless specifically requested.

If I'm mistaken about the status of the rev limits after a 2WDW flash please let me know. ✌️

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

My flash kept limiter but moved it to 10700. Motor work allows me to get there. My testing revealed Yamaha's tachometer is about 500 revolutions optimistic. When factory tach says 10,000 the actual revs are 9,500 according to dynometer.

• Global Moderator

I have never tested my rev limiter so I do not know if the flash removed it.  Perhaps @2wheeldynoworks can chime in and let us know as I am interested whether  it is still there or not and I do not feel inclined to find out with my bike :) .

• Thanks 1

2wheeldynoworks

Rev 

6 minutes ago, mjh937 said:

I have never tested my rev limiter so I do not know if the flash removed it.  Perhaps @2wheeldynoworks can chime in and let us know as I am interested whether  it is still there or not and I do not feel inclined to find out with my bike :) .

Rev limiters are never removed, for the sake of the engine's life if the bike were to ever be over-revved!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Global Moderator
22 minutes ago, 2wheeldynoworks said:

Rev 

Rev limiters are never removed, for the sake of the engine's life if the bike were to ever be over-revved!

Thanks.  I could not see why you would remove it but I have seen it stated a couple of times on the forum.  It is good to get the straight scoop right from the source.  

• Premium Member
39 minutes ago, 2wheeldynoworks said:

Rev 

Thanks guys, I must have been thinking of the speed limiter perhaps?

Sorry to derail this thread.

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

On 9/19/2020 at 1:10 PM, timjh said:

I guess we should advise folks to wait that long before doing the upgrade just so they'll better appreciate the difference.

I just figured I'd give you an update after a week and 300 miles. The reason I took a year to pull the trigger is that there are a lot of exhaust/intake/flash options out there and I wanted to get it right the first time, it's cheaper to do it once and do it right.

Okay  so my decision was made after checking a lot of dyno charts. Most people tend to look at the horsepower figures, the more important figures to me were the torque figures. Torque is measured, Horsepower is computed; that's why every Dyno chart show the horsepower and torque matching at 5,250 RPM. Both are important, but the torque more accurately shows WHERE you'll find the difference

The 2 wheel Dynoworks chart with the Yosh full exhaust showed Torque gains from 2,500 RPM to redline with a peak at about 6,000 RPM. That's where I do most of my street riding.  To go back to my 4th gear example, the bike will happily ride at 35 MPH in 4th but is still pulling hard at 95 when the Rev limiter kicks in. That's real world usable performance for me. Other combinations showed little low end improvement with big numbers above 6,000 RPM which is great for track riding.

Down sides; I've lost about 6 MPG, but I'm still getting about 49 MPG and my wife thinks I'm up to something because "You smile too much"

• Like 3

Just now, longrider1951 said:

and my wife thinks I'm up to something because "You smile too much"

That, right there, is Priceless 

• Like 1

I bought mine with full Yosh system and Hordpower airbox. It had already been tuned by 2WDW so I've never experienced stock...but holy cow. Smooth rush of power all the way to the top and none of the off-idle fueling issues.  Love it!

• 2 weeks later...
longrider1951

One more update. Now that I've had the Flash for 3 weeks and over 600 miles I've stopped playing  and am riding more normally my MPG has gone up to about 52 MPG. I guess your wrist has a lot to do with MPG drop. I'm still very pleased with the results.

7 minutes ago, longrider1951 said:

52 MPG.

That's about where I'm at with an identical intake/pipe set-up.  If I nursed the throttle I think mid to high 50s would be possible.