The MT-07 Forum

Rear Suspension Upgrade Options for the everyday rider

I've had my MT-07 for a few weeks now and find it does not track well over rough roads at the rear on normal road use.So I've been reading the various options for rear suspension upgrades for road use on the different FZ-07 and MT-07 forums and have come up with a list of options that I thought I'd share.
1.[span]    [/span]Ohlins, type S46DR1. MT-07 p/n YA419   Shock total length = 312mm, stroke - 61mm, spring length 170mm. variable preload adjust and 40 stage rebound adjustment. Custom setup for your weight and riding style. Yellow spring. http://www.andreanigroup.com/en-us/shop/products/catalogue/yamaha/mt-07/2014/default.aspx?annoCalendarioId=11465&categoriaId=&idC=61765&LN=en-US&marchioId=&marchioRepartoId=11249&modelloRepartoId=78330&q=&reparto=moto
2.[span]    [/span]Nitron, type NTR R1.  variable preload adjust and one damping adjustment. "..the adjustor knob affects both compression and rebound simultaneously for simple setup and making it a more road-biased shock..." Option to raise ride height. Option to have hydraulic preload adjust. Custom setup for your weight and riding style. Sky blue spring. UK engineered.  http://www.nitron.co.uk/catalogue_item.php?catID=12992&prodID=76735
3.[span]    [/span]Wilbers, type 630/640. 5 year warranty. variable preload adjust and 22 click rebound adjust. Option to raise ride height. Option to have hydraulic preload adjust. Custom setup for your weight and riding style. Blue spring with red adjuster OR black spring and silver adjuster as standard Or you can have a custom colour foran additional fee. Also available as a 20mm or 40mm lowered version for the shorties. German engineered.  http://www.suspensionsrus.com.au/off-road/shocks-offroad/wilbers-630-640-shock-detail and here http://translate.google.com.au/translate?hl=en&sl=de&u=http://www.wilbers.de/aktuelles_detail.php%3Fid%3D27&prev=search
4.[span]    Hyperpro Street Box. MT-07 p/n SB-YA07-5AE  Comes with progressive fork springs, fork oil and rear shock. 1 year warranty. Purple or black spring. Made in the Netherlands.  http://hyperpro.com/en/2014/07/25/mt-07-streetbox-available/ and http://hyperpro.com/en/streetbox/  You need to find out if you are in the weight range for the stock spring supplied with this rear shock, if not then you will need to pay extra to have the spring swapped out for your weight. I was told I might find the stock spring a bit hard and I'm 77kg in my riding gear.[/span][span]
[/span][span]5.[span]    [/span]Penske type 8900, FZ-07 pn PS-89_-FZ07. Preload adj,[strong] 25 click low speed compression adj[/strong], 30 click rebound adj Blue spring, red adjuster. USA engineered  http://shop.penskeshocks.com/8900-SERIES-FZ07/ [/span][span]
[/span][span]6.[span]    [/span]Matris type KD, preload and rebound adjusters, Orange spring, Italian made http://www.pjsparts.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=5455 [/span][span]
[/span]
So far from the list above for the road rider, the Penske is the only one with adjustable compression.[span]

[/span][span]
[/span][span]
[/span]

JRI Streetfighter also has adjustable compression like Penske, so a step up from the other base models that I listed that only have adjustable preload and rebound.
I have just ordered the Wilbers at $799 AUD delivered set up for me and my riding style. I could have gotten the Nitron a bit cheaper but didn't like the sky blue coloured spring.I liked the Penske but shipping to Australia is expensive...

JRI Streetfighter also has adjustable compression like Penske, so a step up from the other base models that I listed that only have adjustable preload and rebound. I have just ordered the Wilbers at $799 AUD delivered set up for me and my riding style. I could have gotten the Nitron a bit cheaper but didn't like the sky blue coloured spring.I liked the Penske but shipping to Australia is expensive...
Did you end up getting the Wilbers Shock from suspensions are us? How were they to deal with? Is the shock pre adjusted by them based on information you gave them prior to purchasing?

Thanks.

scordiaboy515
JRI Streetfighter also has adjustable compression like Penske, so a step up from the other base models that I listed that only have adjustable preload and rebound. I have just ordered the Wilbers at $799 AUD delivered set up for me and my riding style. I could have gotten the Nitron a bit cheaper but didn't like the sky blue coloured spring.I liked the Penske but shipping to Australia is expensive...
   Let me clarify something about the JRI rear shock.....they make it very easy to adjust, when you dial in some clicks or take some out (50 clicks in all) it automatically adjusts preload and compression dampening, so you don't have to be a suspension engineer to get it dialed in. It looks super trick and it's half the weight of the stocker.....same price as Wilbers.....cheers :) 

scordiaboy515
Isn't that how any shock is that has only one damping adjustment knob?
   Negative, most racing shocks (2 and 4 wheel) have high speed/low speed adjustments for the compression and rebound dampening, believe me.....it's very complicated, that's why I have said you don't have to be a suspension engineer to dial in a JRI shock. Can't speak for the other companies, other people on this forum that have purchased these other shocks should elaborate.   

Ohlins, Hyperpro, Nitron, Matris and Wilbers are all available here in Australia and in the USA.

The Penske and JRI shocks both look like great shocks but I couldn't find them here.

I ordered the Wilbers Blue line, 640-1141-00, at $799 AUD (that's $695 USD) and am waiting for it to be set up for my weight & riding style and freighted to me here in Brisbane.

I originally wanted the hyperpro streetbox, but the stock spring that the shock comes with is supposedly too hard for normal street use for me at 77kg in my gear.

• 3 weeks later...
   Let me clarify something about the JRI rear shock.....they make it very easy to adjust, when you dial in some clicks or take some out (50 clicks in all) it automatically adjusts preload and compression dampening, so you don't have to be a suspension engineer to get it dialed in. It looks super trick and it's half the weight of the stocker.....same price as Wilbers.....cheers :)
I'm confused, by turning one knob you're changing spring preload, compression damping and rebound damping, all at the same time? 

Spring preload has it's own adjustment by the slotted nuts on top of the spring.He meant to say "compression and rebound damping", I believe.

On a shock that has only one damping adjustment knob, even though the single knob is typically called the "rebound adjuster", it will change not only rebound but also compression to a certain degree at the same time because the shock fluid flows through this adjustment circuit when the shock moves in either direction.This is how practically any shock works.
On the shock I bought back in 1994 for my 1993 Yamaha XJ600SE Seca II, the tuning guide that came with it informed the reader that the rebound knob will also effect compression damping to a degree.

So...what is the most budget-minded option for upgrading the rear spring? I read some things that make me think the stock suspension will be fine for me, and I read other things that make me worry a bit. I weight 260lbs/118Kg without gear. I figured I would have to stiffen the rear up from stock when i get my bike, but I'm still pretty new to riding. I'm going to use my bike to cruise, commute a bit, and just enjoy the ride. Not interested in tracking it or doing anything crazy, so stock setup would probably work for me...i hope.

it will change not only rebound but also compression to a certain degree at the same time because the shock fluid flows through this adjustment circuit when the shock moves in either direction.
Agreed, to a very small degree.  The blue knurled knob on the bottom of the shock would be rebound adjustment and I'm pretty sure the remote reservoir will have a compression adjuster in it, as the JRI site shows. 

scordiaboy515
I'm confused, by turning one knob you're changing spring preload, compression damping and rebound damping, all at the same time?
My bad, I meant to say compression and rebound.....if the shock feels to stiff back off a few clicks, if it's to soft add a few clicks, this will adjust compression and rebound only, but it does it in tandem. There is no separate adjustment for compression and rebound like some shocks.  The spring preload is a separate adjustment. 

scordiaboy515
it will change not only rebound but also compression to a certain degree at the same time because the shock fluid flows through this adjustment circuit when the shock moves in either direction.
Agreed, to a very small degree.  The blue knurled knob on the bottom of the shock would be rebound adjustment and I'm pretty sure the remote reservoir will have a compression adjuster in it, as the JRI site shows.
  All the adjustment is done with the knob on the bottom of the JRI shock.  The remote reservoir is just that, just a canister. 

rubberbandman72

I've spent the last 15 years working on and racing sports cars. The same theories apply to bikes. Here are some basics I've learned about suspension setup. The shock (damper) only controls the up and down motion of the suspension. The spring itself supports the riders weight and controls ride height. Compression and rebound adjustments change how the shock reacts to the up and down motion of the suspension. Spring preload adjustments will either raise or lower ride height. If the rear has too much sag then raise the preload on the spring. If the preload is maxed out on the high end and the rear still has too much sag then a higher spring rate is needed. If all of the rear suspension travel is being used up and causing the shock to bottom out while riding then, again, a higher spring rate is needed. The same applies to the fork. If the stock suspension is skipping and skittering around it is almost always under dampened. Needing more compression and rebound dampening. On the FZ-07 this means, at the very least, changing the fork oil to a higher viscosity or going with new fork internals and possibly a higher spring rate. With the rear it means replacing the shock with an adjustable unit and possibly a higher spring rate there as well. Hopefully some of this will be useful to someone.

Well said rbm72. I've been roadracing motorcycles for 20 years which in 2010 led me to become a certified Ohlins sales/service dealer. I agree with your thoughts, adding that motorcycles have some different suspension/geometry issues dealing with bumps leaned over and I've never seen a shock that adjusted compression and rebound in tandem. They are two different variables that need to be handled separately.

scordiaboy515
Well said rbm72. I've been roadracing motorcycles for 20 years which in 2010 led me to become a certified Ohlins sales/service dealer. I agree with your thoughts, adding that motorcycles have some different suspension/geometry issues dealing with bumps leaned over and I've never seen a shock that adjusted compression and rebound in tandem. They are two different variables that need to be handled separately.
   Since I'm no suspension expert, Marcus @JRI will be glad to explain there products to you if you so desire. 

My bad, I stand corrected, spoke with one of the guys at Ohlins today and sure enough on a shim piston shock adjusting the rebound will have nearly the same effect on compression as well. I must have been thinking TTX.

• 4 weeks later...
So...what is the most budget-minded option for upgrading the rear spring? I read some things that make me think the stock suspension will be fine for me, and I read other things that make me worry a bit. I weight 260lbs/118Kg without gear. I figured I would have to stiffen the rear up from stock when i get my bike, but I'm still pretty new to riding. I'm going to use my bike to cruise, commute a bit, and just enjoy the ride. Not interested in tracking it or doing anything crazy, so stock setup would probably work for me...i hope.
Traxxion can revalve and respring the rear for your riding style and weight. Most cost effective option. 380ish. 

Archived