Sign in to follow this  
M. Hausknecht

KTech Shock Spring Replacement

M. Hausknecht

Hi All,

I've a KTech DDS Pro shock on my MT-07 and I need to remove the existing spring and install another. The spring is under tension even when removed from the bike so it appears to me that I need a spring compressor. Does anyone know which brand/model will fit? Shock has eyelets at both ends. Thanks!

Michael

cornerslider

I am not familiar with the DDS Pro, but I have the K-tech Razor "R"..... I "think" you can remove the spring without any specialty tools? Maybe try to loosen the collars on both ends of the spring, and see if the spring tension goes away? If not, I think "motion pro" makes a generic spring compressor that will work for changing out the spring.... Good luck-

""W.O.T. until you see god, then brake"

M. Hausknecht

No manually adjustable collars on the DDS Pro. The preload is hydraulic. At the other end there is a circlip thingie that needs to be removed but I can't do that without compressing the spring. KTech makes a nice unit for compressing the spring; $418 plus $50 for the proper insert.... Hence, I wonder whether anyone had made something less costly work effectively. Thanks for your suggestion. 

AP996

Would something like this work, easy to make.

C79797B6-9F49-4EB6-8A49-2EAA03DA1164.jpeg

M. Hausknecht

I've been noodling  threaded rod possibilities, so thanks for the photo. Another option is to make a fixture to use with a hydraulic press but the threaded rod option seems to present less risks to the operator.

mjh937

@M. Hausknecht, last time I needed a spring compressor I went to a local auto parts store.  They loaned me one for free (they put a hold on my credit card until I returned it).  If you take the shock with you you could verify it fits while you are there.  

M. Hausknecht

Well, I took the leap and made a spring compressor out of stuff I have lying around. Handtools and a drill press; I don't trust my welding "skills". Thanks for everybody's input. It worked!

IMG_0370.JPG.f57008695fc85ee5032d3c1efc01d5fd.JPG

• Like 5