The MT-07 Forum

Speedometer Not Working

Aldeezy

This morning on my way to work I noticed my speedometer stayed on zero the entire time.  Also, the ABS light did not turn off as it usually does, and then halfway to work my check engine light turned on. Tachometer and everything else is still working fine.  Anyone have any clue as to what the problem might be?

• Premium Member

Sounds like there may be an issue with the speed sensor.

• Like 2

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

If your bike is equiped with ABS it should`nt have a speed sensor like a Non ABS bike.
However you should have a front and rear ABS Sensor which the ecu needs for calculating your speed.
If one of these two is broken it would explain the ABS light and the (lack of)  speedo reading.
Hope this helps.

• Like 1

Aldeezy, on each wheel near the center to you will see a disc with lots of small slots cut in to it. Those are what your wheel sensors read. Looking around that area you will see an electrical cable with a sort of lump on the end. That lump is the sensor and it should face those slots in the discs ( the discs with the slots- not the brake discs).

The face of the sensor could be dirty, picked up a piece of metal ( I think these are magnetic) or possibly just bumped out of position. That's going to be your best place to start. Simply wiping a rag across them could get you back in business. 

Good luck!

Raptor MT-07, shinyribs,

Yes I do have ABS and located the cable. Apparently, a rat chewed through it. Will splicing the cable together fix it, or do I need to replace?  Does anyone have a part number?  TIA

17 minutes ago, Aldeezy said:

Raptor MT-07, shinyribs,

Yes I do have ABS and located the cable. Apparently, a rat chewed through it. Will splicing the cable together fix it, or do I need to replace?  Does anyone have a part number?  TIA

I haven't seen what's inside that cable. If you see individually insulated strands of wire you can splice it back together. It might not be pretty, but it will work. 

13 minutes ago, shinyribs said:

I haven't seen what's inside that cable. If you see individually insulated strands of wire you can splice it back together. It might not be pretty, but it will work. 

My co-worker says he can do it. Do I need to reset anything after?

12 minutes ago, Aldeezy said:

Nah, once repaired she'll never know what happened. 

• Like 2

• Premium Member
32 minutes ago, Aldeezy said:

Just an FYI for future reference: With those wheel sensors, you need to unbolt them,  prior to any wheel removal, or they can be damaged. It takes a 5mm hex key/socket to remove the single bolt holding each in place.

• Like 1

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

$100.00 for a new one, though not sure what year your bike is. No. 5 on the link.

https://www.ronayers.com/oemparts/a/yam/58a22eac87a866120cd9f378/electrical-3

• Like 1