The MT-07 Forum

Rotatable banjo fittings after they have been crimped? Seriously?

Pursuvant

• Global Moderator

So working with Galfer on a setup, I was planning on very carefully laying out a mockup of the custom lines with exact fitting angles I will be needing to do something I hope is a bit clever, I discovered something that I think is both amazing and scary as hell.

Rotatable banjo fittings. That's right, read about it here, after they make your lines and crimp the fittings, they say you can rotate them 360 degrees if necessary. Are they serious? I'm supposed to trust brake lines, rotatable fittings, with pressures reaching 5000 psi?

Anyone know or have experience about this, please do jump in here, I need some kind of confirmation that I just don't understand that they can both be rotated to release twist tension and still can be trusted with my life. Here is the link to the FAQs page with the description:

Rotatable fittings, or better known as death by stupidity

It's commonly done and perfectly safe, but it works on brake lines like this because they are not constructed like other types of crimped "hoses". 

For a standard rubber brake hose it would be ridiculous, but the material these lines are made out of makes it possible. 

I totally agree it's not intuitive, but it's normal. 

• Like 1

• Global Moderator
2 hours ago, shinyribs said:

It's commonly done and perfectly safe, but it works on brake lines like this because they are not constructed like other types of crimped "hoses"

That's all I needed to hear you say ShinyRibs. I can kind of see (because of watching videos of making your own SS braided brake lines) that the inner (real) hose has a small "collar" slipped on it, just before the banjo is inserted (and the SS is carefully pushed back out of the way to not let any strands get trapped between that "collar" and banjo), that as pressure builds in the line that collar would be pressed even harder into the banjo "compression" area (while the banjo can not move or blow out of the end of the hose) because of the crimp.

I'm satisfied, thank you. When I'm too hot in that corner and my bars are over the yellow line, and I see that 4 door Honda bearing down on me from the other way, I probably won't be thinking much about that hose fitting anyhow. More likely I'll be wishing I had really practiced hard and made trail braking my constant and consistent cornering method.

And if none of that works, I'll remind myself thanks to the last 15 years of Quantum Mechanics research (double slit experiment, quantum eraser, quantum entanglement, time always being "now", etc) - that those experiments have completely destroyed the idea of matter as being real as we normally think of it. Matter is only a way of thinking about mathematics, as Neils Bohr and Hisenberg tried to explain to the world in the 1930's -  that the truth is "everything we think of as real, is made of stuff that is fundamentally not real". You know, like that Honda that's getting closer fast - hahaha

Edited by Pursuvant
  • Like 1

• Global Moderator

Spiegler is doing it too, they even give you a plastic tool to grip the crimp in a vise while you rotate the banjo.

Ever installed a set of brake lines where the fittings just didn’t...

Old dog learns new trick. How to release tension in ss braided lines without making them twice.

Edited by Pursuvant