The MT-07 Forum

Cage bolts fell out, Where do I buy replacements?

Sam B Free

What's up every1

I noticed today that the bolts that secure the cage to the frame are gone, they must have rattled loose.

My question is what size bolts are these and where would i find replacements?

Thanks!

20200912_135121_HDR~3.jpg

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Sam B Free said:

What's up every1

I noticed today that the bolts that secure the cage to the frame are gone, they must have rattled loose.

My question is what size bolts are these and where would i find replacements?

Thanks!

20200912_135121_HDR~3.jpg

You're on your own. Those are longer than stock, by who knows how much, due to the added thickness of the cage. Take the cage off for now and put the stock bolts in untill you figure out the length, those are your motor mounts. Try contacting the company you got the cage from. Or take your stock bolts to the hardware store and get replacements of whatever length you need. And Loctite those in, they should never have fallen out.

Edited by mossrider
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, mossrider said:

You're on your own. Those are longer than stock, by who knows how much, due to the added thickness of the cage. Take the cage off for now and put the stock bolts in untill you figure out the length, those are your motor mounts. Try contacting the company you got the cage from. Or take your stock bolts to the hardware store and get replacements of whatever length you need. And Loctite those in, they should never have fallen out.

Thanks, i bought this bike on offer up, the cage and bolts came with the bike. I did take it off to paint it and must have not tightened it down enough when i put it back on. Ill take the two from the other side to try to find the replacements with. 

• Like 1

You can find metrics that will likely fit and will be 8.8 grade probably at an Ace Hardware or some other decent hardware store.  If you can do so you can get them from Fastenal as well, could do socket head cap screws if that's what it takes.  They usually only do wholesale so you may have to figure out if you know someone who can get the fasteners for you.  I have done a lot of metrics from Fastenal, but have fallen back on Ace when needed in a day.   

Take your other ones to verify the thread pitch and size, along with the length.

• Premium Member

Does it go without saying to not ride the bike until the bolts have been replaced and all bolts properly torqued?

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

4 hours ago, Sam B Free said:

... where would i find replacements?

You can probably find what you need from belmetric.com.  I recently bought some nylon locknuts from them as suggested by Pursuvant; they shipped the next day, and usps delivered to CA in less than one week.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DewMan said:

Does it go without saying to not ride the bike until the bolts have been replaced and all bolts properly torqued?

Haha yes it does. Thanks for making sure though 👍

38 minutes ago, Yakko Warner said:

You can probably find what you need from belmetric.com.  I recently bought some nylon locknuts from them as suggested by Pursuvant; they shipped the next day, and usps delivered to CA in less than one week.

Nicee ill check it out i appreciate it

Whatever you do, do not get the black oxide fasteners.  They will rust - fast.  Black oxide is a form of "rust".  The OEM black coloring is not black oxide, it is some other coating. 

You want zinc plated or stainless.  If you use stainless, which I do not recommend, make sure to put anti-seize compound on the threads.   

If you want black fasteners paint them or buy OEM hardware.   If you order, measure and make sure you know what you're ordering.  One reason to go to a store to buy the hardware.  The hardware Ace sells is the same as Fastenal sells.   Unless you are buying from a company like ARP you are likely getting Chinese fasteners.  Suffice it to say Fastenal supplies businesses and is selling as good a product as can be had and the same with Ace from what I've seen.

Make sure you are buying the same grade as the OEM product.  I will venture to say it is likely 8.8 grade, next up is 10.9, which is a bit stronger, but harder (aka brittle).  Stay with OEM grade if marked, if not marked I'd recommend 8.8 grade.  In addition stronger isn't always better due to hardness.  Better to bend or shear a bolt than destroy a frame when a fastener doesn't "give" when that's the way it is supposed to be.            

Edited by klx678
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, klx678 said:

Whatever you do, do not get the black oxide fasteners.  They will rust - fast.  Black oxide is a form of "rust".  The OEM black coloring is not black oxide, it is some other coating. 

You want zinc plated or stainless.  If you use stainless, which I do not recommend, make sure to put anti-seize compound on the threads.   

If you want black fasteners paint them or buy OEM hardware.   If you order, measure and make sure you know what you're ordering.  One reason to go to a store to buy the hardware.  The hardware Ace sells is the same as Fastenal sells.   Unless you are buying from a company like ARP you are likely getting Chinese fasteners.  Suffice it to say Fastenal supplies businesses and is selling as good a product as can be had and the same with Ace from what I've seen.

Make sure you are buying the same grade as the OEM product.  I will venture to say it is likely 8.8 grade, next up is 10.9, which is a bit stronger, but harder (aka brittle).  Stay with OEM grade if marked, if not marked I'd recommend 8.8 grade.  In addition stronger isn't always better due to hardness.  Better to bend or shear a bolt than destroy a frame when a fastener doesn't "give" when that's the way it is supposed to be.            

Great information, thank you for taking the time to provide those details! 

I will go to Ace today and let you guys know how it goes!