The MT-07 Forum

Front Brake Switch Not Lighting Brakelight

databyter

• Premium Member

If memory serves I can hear a click but there is no light at the back. Apparently there is no way to adjust this, since everything I have read indicates to take it to the dealer. The only problems I have had with this bike are BECAUSE of the dealer. 

So anybody know about this condition. I am assuming it is an unadjustable switch that just goes out. Is this a hard job? Is there a part number for this. A family member is sick and I'm planning a long trip to go be there rather than flying, but I need to fix this before I go.

Thanks.

Databyter

You are referring to the FRONT STOP SWITCH ASSY which is part number 1HP-83980-01-00. It’s line item #12 on this page:

https://www.partshark.com/oemparts/a/yam/53a99b08f8700220a441584a/front-master-cylinder

040152BF-9D35-4628-9CB7-E974B0DBF256.thumb.png.768d5a95191f9aca496b63bdda28200a.png

I have not had to replace that particular part on my FZ but I’ve fixed plenty of other things. I’d start the troubleshooting process by unplugging the electrical coupler from the switch, checking to make sure the wires aren’t loose, cleaning out both ends of the connection with a quick-dry electronics spray cleaner, then reconnecting and seeing if it works. 

If that doesn’t do the trick, I’d test the switch with a voltmeter. If the meter indicates the switch is bad, I’d order and install a replacement. If the meter says it’s okay, the problem is elsewhere and will require some tracking down. 

Edited by D.A.
  • Like 1

Spray that switch with electrical contact cleaner. That switch can get gummed up with bug guts or road smeg. Also clean the lever perches from time to time and they get gummed up and don't work smoothly or properly. Make sure you use your fingers to push the brake lever out as well as pull in to clean and test that switch. When it gums up it some times doesn't  return to full out to reset the switch.

• Like 1