The MT-07 Forum

Wheel alignment, chain maintenance

Pursuvant

• Global Moderator

I checked the chain adjusting block hash markers on my 2019 when it was new. They were off. Not by a lot, but definitely off.

Using calipers I'd check the distance from end of swingarm to chain adjust slide cover on chain side. Then use calipers to set the opposite side same distance. Then lay down behind bike, rotate wheel backwards, then visually confirm the rear sprocket and chain point directly to front sprocket.

And it would be perfect, and yet the chain adjusting covers hash marks never agreed.

Recently that fuji nut siezed on axle and cutting it off caused me to order new axle, and both chain adjusting slide covers.

Guess what, using new parts after confirming wheel alignment with calipers, the hash marks for chain adjust are still off, but only about half as bad.

Bottom line, you may want to use calipers to adjust chain & align rear wheel, and confirm with your eye looking down the chain at the rear to front sprocket. Yamaha picked the dam cheapest chain adjusting blocks in the useless parts room to throw on this fundamentally fantastic motorcycle.

It's up to us to find what needs sorted out, what Yamaha intentionally neglected, and get it done. They don't build cheap bikes, but they neglect intentionally

There's this (and clones) to help sight along the chain to confirm the rear sprocket is aligned:

Motion Pro - High quality cables, tools and controls for motorcycles, ATVs, snowmobiles and personal watercraft.

My hash marks are a little off also.  Since the swingarm is stamped and welded, I think that's expected, unlike with cast aluminum swingarms.

• Like 1

You can order a 12" long drill bit that is easier to see than the stock rod.

Put in a drill, confirm not bent and you are good to go. About $10. this one is a 7/64 but 1/8 fits great, bit smaller diameter than the factory rod. Virtually all motorcycle adjusting blocks are just an approximation.

Resize of 20200802_121456.jpg

Edited by Lone Wolf
  • Like 1