The MT-07 Forum

Anyone using a slipper clutch?

50Joe

M. Hausknecht

Yoyodyne, works well. I'm a bit old school so I often still blip on downshifts, at least while braking, notwithstanding I don't need to. I haven't had any issue with downshifts destabilizing the bike on turn entry even on those occasions I don't blip or brake.

I'm also using an ARacer Super 2 ECU which allows for some fuel on deceleration.

• Like 1

Muscle memory blip. Sometimes I hear it, only to realize - oh that was me. 

with that said, I’d like a quick shifter (up and down) with auto blip and a slipper. But then it might take away some of the fun. 

on my fjr it’s under $400 to add a slipper, much more on the MT. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member

I've used Yoyodyne, and it worked great.  As time went on, I felt a click in the lever, which I was told was normal as the clutch wears.

When I did my motor build for racing, I switched to a Suter Slipper clutch.  No issues with the lever clicking at all, but again, the Yoyodyne didn't have any issues when it was new either :)

Spears Racing also makes one that is supposed to be good as well.

- Paul

• Like 1

To my knowledge Suter and Yoyodyne are the only readily available slippers marketed for the fz07. (Spears is made by Yoyodyne) Both seem to work fine, I have 3 Yoyo's in rotation in 2 bikes and have have good luck with them. They need routine friction plate replacement and inspection of course. 

Rekluse makes a couple different clutch options for our bikes but I'm not sure if they are a true slipper or should be called a hybrid clutch or auto clutch or something else. I have no direct experience with them but understand from some who have that they are the hot ticket to clutchless riding. You might ask AP next time you talk to him as he has played with them on track some.

Edited by mossrider

8 hours ago, mossrider said:

To my knowledge Suter and Yoyodyne are the only readily available slippers marketed for the fz07. (Spears is made by Yoyodyne) Both seem to work fine, I have 3 Yoyo's in rotation in 2 bikes and have have good luck with them. They need routine friction plate replacement and inspection of course. 

Rekluse makes a couple different clutch options for our bikes but I'm not sure if they are a true slipper or should be called a hybrid clutch or auto clutch or something else. I have no direct experience with them but understand from some who have that they are the hot ticket to clutchless riding. You might ask AP next time you talk to him as he has played with them on track some.

I've heard the Rekluse got pulled off the market for the FZ07 because it had "issues".  I think that is what cause Parrish to crash a few races ago.

6 minutes ago, 50Joe said:

I've heard the Rekluse got pulled off the market for the FZ07 because it had "issues".  I think that is what cause Parrish to crash a few races ago.

Could be, I don't know.

46 minutes ago, phanomenal07 said:

Does having a slipper clutch mean i can just release the clutch after a down shift without blipping?

Yes, you just ride/shift/hoon/chuck it like you would normally.

1 hour ago, mossrider said:

Yes, you just ride/shift/hoon/chuck it like you would normally.

Hmm I see I been blipping my downshift on the fz10 and daytona for no reason then. Ill have to try this out on track. Im so used to blipping the 07

• Premium Member

Two main advantages with a slipper clutch...

1)  On a race track - Allows you to go into a corner faster without worry of getting your downshift throttle blip wrong and upsetting the rear of the bike.

2)  On the street - In inclement weather, acts as a safety net for the same reason, I.E., coming to an abrupt stop in the rain, etc., without the rear locking up i fyou are sloppy with your downshifts.

:)

- Paul

• Thanks 1