The MT-07 Forum

Just one tooth

Pursuvant

1 hour ago, FZ not MT said:

Just curious, did you ever try that sprocket combo?

No, I've only got 2,500 miles on it, so we're still in the honeymoon phase.   :)  I do enjoy starting the MT cold, putting it in 1st gear, and idling up my fairly steep gravel driveway without any extra throttle.  Also nearly none of my riding is on a freeway, so I haven't really felt I was revving particularly high on the back roads I do ride.  The one thing I might like to change is the slight buzziness I get at 60 and above.  If it moved that to 65 or so I'd almost never feel it at cruise speeds.  Just the 17 front would come close to that.

• 2 years later...
On 9/8/2020 at 7:55 PM, Pursuvant said:

Talking gearing is like asking "what's the best tire?".

Even so let's go there into the quagmire. I changed my gearing - I went from 16/43 to 16/44. Ya, I gave that torque-kee wheelie machine a little more jazz (but not for wheelies, just the opposite).

For those who don't know I yanked the stock suspension out of my bike and slipped in Ohlins NIX 22 and STX 46. That move transformed everything, it's not the same class of machine that rolled out of the showroom. The bike is PLANTED, confident, capable of things most stock bikes can't deliver. It's another world, but that's a different story.

So I slipped on a 44 tooth rear sprocket. One more tooth. Here's what I ride now.

A bike where 6th gear is not "way out there", no it's been invited back to the party the rest of the transmission is having. And that transmission wall-flower 4th gear - wow it's suddenly discovered all kinds of things it can do.

That one tooth pulled the whole transmission together in a way that amazes me - I mean that totally. I never imagined the payoff I got. One tooth has made everything disjointed about that tranny come together like a great rock n roll song.

One caution, you know how the stock suspension when you launch at an intersection, those few ripples in the transition cause the stock forks to pogo cycle then loft the front wheel and you cooly carry the front wheel across the intersection. Ask yourself, is that a suspension operating outside its capabilities?

You all have an amazing motorcycle, so capable but held back by one item Yamaha neglected intentionally, they threw 1990 forks in an 2020+ machine.

You can fix that, then add a tooth, and have a planted racebike that will probably be the best handling machine ever owned. And you don't need Ohlins. I think emulators are about $500.

I wish that for you all, because it's like getting another new motorcycle

I just ordered a 520 conversion and went up one tooth on the rear. I’m excited to feel the improvement. I think the 520 weight saving in rotating mass is also a nice to have, plus one tooth will be a noticeable difference and now after reading your impressions I’m even more hyped. I’m not a highway pull guy. I like getting to the speed limit fast lol. That’s why I love the CP2 it’s a fun and playful motor.

On 8/16/2023 at 5:32 PM, Drail636 said:

I just ordered a 520 conversion and went up one tooth on the rear. I’m excited to feel the improvement.

If you haven't upgraded your throttle tube to the OEM R6 tube, I would HIGHLY suggest you do it at the same time as when you change your gearing. The effect from doing them both at once will be a lot of fun.

https://www.amazon.com/YAMAHA-2C0262400000-Yamaha-Grip-Assembly/dp/B005C59NO2/ref=sr_1_23?crid=HDFGHX1ENRI9&keywords=fz-07+r6+throttle&qid=1692384650&sprefix=fz-07+r6+throttle%2Caps%2C80&sr=8-23