The MT-07 Forum

Very low mpg. Fixes?

theconsciousness

theconsciousness

Hey everyone. Just got a 2017 FZ with 16k miles. It looks like the dash's calculation of ~44 mpg is about right in comparison to my actual fill-ups. Apart from the amount of miles on it; it also has a drilled exhaust. I doubt these two factors alone would screw me over ~15 mpg. I'm a pretty lightweight rider, and don't ride like a hooligan.

Is there anything I can do to bump those MPGs up a few more? Anything mechanically I can clean or upgrade?

Is the ECU flashed? Does it have the snorkel removed? Is it up to date on all its maintenance?
MPGS on these bikes vary pretty greatly from what I’ve seen. I’m getting mid-high 40s but that’s with intake/exhaust and a tune - running mainly on mountain twisties, not commuting. Before the mods it was up to about 50. 

Edited by RobZilla

theconsciousness
3 minutes ago, RobZilla said:

Is the ECU flashed? Does it have the snorkel removed? Is it up to date on all its maintenance?
MPGS on these bikes vary pretty greatly from what I’ve seen. I’m getting mid-high 40s but that’s with intake/exhaust and a tune.

Should be stock ECU. Snorkel still in. Got my general servicing this coming Thursday. Anything I can ask them to look for?

Plugs are due at 12k miles, it’s possible they weren’t replaced. Valves aren’t due until 24k miles. Throttle bodies should be adjusted/synced every 6k miles. See attached. These are the big ones.

37458532-D0F6-4E76-B08F-0D504E5F492E.png

You could go up a tooth on the front sprocket, that would help a little by lowering revs a notch. Thing is you're about average on the mpg scale. I'd bet you're about double what you car gets and you're certainly double what I get with my FZ07, lol. Enjoy it for what it is. 

Keep it in perspective, the difference between 45 and 50mpg over an average yearly mileage of 3000 miles is only 6 gallons or $12-15.

• Like 1

The exhaust can screw your mileage by a large margin.  The stock ECUs are tuned for the stock exhaust.  If somebody went nuts with the drill on the exterior and the interior muffler and stock baffle it can hose the "scavenger" vacuum effect, and there goes your gas mileage.  Most aftermarket clamp-on exhausts (such as Two Brothers, etc), will help out a bit, but not as much as a tuned exhaust.  I don't recommend buying another stock exhaust when you could just get a Yoshi (the vendor that provides for Yamaha upgrades on the FZ/MT07s) and it will plug right in:  You'll get your mileage back, better performance, and much better sound all in one shot.  

AND, a quick easy check: Make sure your brakes aren't spongy.  If they are, then they're adding pressure to the disks all the time; there's air in the lines.

Swap out the spark plugs.  If they're stock, then it's worth a shot since they're over due.  Honestly, I'd be surprised if the old plugs made that huge of a drop in gas mileage.

My stock FZ-07 was getting 65mph in mixed driving.  Then, I installed Scorpion Serket Taper exhaust and had 2WDW tune the exhaust according to what they had on file, and it still gets 65 mpg in mixed driving, except it's a tad peppier and has a better sound.

Hope that helps.

13 hours ago, mossrider said:

Keep it in perspective, the difference between 45 and 50mpg over an average yearly mileage of 3000 miles is only 6 gallons or $12-15.

Bruh, I ride 10000 miles a year XD.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, mossrider said:

You could go up a tooth on the front sprocket, that would help a little by lowering revs a notch. Thing is you're about average on the mpg scale. I'd bet you're about double what you car gets and you're certainly double what I get with my FZ07, lol. Enjoy it for what it is. 

Who only rides 3k a year? 😅

18 hours ago, rfmueller said:

The exhaust can screw your mileage by a large margin.  The stock ECUs are tuned for the stock exhaust.  If somebody went nuts with the drill on the exterior and the interior muffler and stock baffle it can hose the "scavenger" vacuum effect, and there goes your gas mileage.  Most aftermarket clamp-on exhausts (such as Two Brothers, etc), will help out a bit, but not as much as a tuned exhaust.  I don't recommend buying another stock exhaust when you could just get a Yoshi (the vendor that provides for Yamaha upgrades on the FZ/MT07s) and it will plug right in:  You'll get your mileage back, better performance, and much better sound all in one shot.  

AND, a quick easy check: Make sure your brakes aren't spongy.  If they are, then they're adding pressure to the disks all the time; there's air in the lines.

Swap out the spark plugs.  If they're stock, then it's worth a shot since they're over due.  Honestly, I'd be surprised if the old plugs made that huge of a drop in gas mileage.

My stock FZ-07 was getting 65mph in mixed driving.  Then, I installed Scorpion Serket Taper exhaust and had 2WDW tune the exhaust according to what they had on file, and it still gets 65 mpg in mixed driving, except it's a tad peppier and has a better sound.

Hope that helps.

You must do all highway or ride easy. I average around 45+ with a Yosh pipe, wish it was a tad higher but way better than my other vehicle lol.

Edited by 1down5up

• Premium Member
44 minutes ago, 1down5up said:

People with multiple bikes 😎-

• Like 4

""W.O.T. until you see god, then brake"

12 hours ago, 1down5up said:

You must do all highway or ride easy. I average around 45+ with a Yosh pipe, wish it was a tad higher but way better than my other vehicle lol.

Yoshi provides Yamaha with the clean air certificate upgrade pipe.  (Sorry, I forgot the name of the certificate that allows the pipe in California).  That pipe is plug and play; tuning already accommodated by the ECU.  Anyway, you're not the first person that I've spoke with that put on an aftermarket pipe and had a large fuel economy drop.  I know a fellow that went from 63mpg to 35mpg because of his aftermarket pipe.  But, it was very loud.  That's what he likes.

I'm only hot on the throttle once in a while.  Otherwise it's mixed Interstate with slower roads.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, rfmueller said:

Yoshi provides Yamaha with the clean air certificate upgrade pipe.  (Sorry, I forgot the name of the certificate that allows the pipe in California).  That pipe is plug and play; tuning already accommodated by the ECU.  Anyway, you're not the first person that I've spoke with that put on an aftermarket pipe and had a large fuel economy drop.  I know a fellow that went from 63mpg to 35mpg because of his aftermarket pipe.  But, it was very loud.  That's what he likes.

I'm only hot on the throttle once in a while.  Otherwise it's mixed Interstate with slower roads.

I can get 55+ if just cruising around on the highway a lot, but pushing these bikes is fun. My focus is more on the enjoyment side rather than efficiency. I would be curious tho to see what my bike would get if it was used mostly on slower highway/back roads, maybe I'll dedicate 1 tank to it and see.

Edited by 1down5up
  • Like 2

• 7 months later...

My 2017 FZ with *8K on the clock gets between 49-52 MPG with a Yoshi R77, no snorkel, PC5 with a standard tune. I ride mine every and anywhere 50/50 on the exceleration, no wheelies. Freeway 75-85, all day. I'm on the upper end of the riders weight of 255Ibs.

On 9/9/2020 at 11:35 AM, 1down5up said:

People who can't get more saddle time...  any other questions?

• Like 1

Triple Jim
On 9/8/2020 at 4:42 PM, mossrider said:

Thing is you're about average on the mpg scale.

That's surprising to read because my stock 2020 gets 60 when messing around and 65 on touring type rides, and that's calculated by pump gallons and odometer miles.  The dash reading shows about 3 lower.

I'm gonna have to look if there is a difference in gearing between your MT and my XSR.  I'm jealous, I only get around 55 mpg.

I took a short trip today, and when I did I kept the speed in the "econ" range. I was pleasantly surprised to find out that she got 62 MPG. The short trip I spoke of was 176 mi round trip. As I posted previously I'd average 49-52 mpg so this lesson showed me what this bike is actually capable of.    

• Like 1