The MT-07 Forum

USB Install

Jrsimon25

Anybody have advice for a good USB outlet to install? Preferably one to mount near the cluster and that connects to the auxiliary, not the battery.

I just got a 2018 MT07 and this would be the first work I do to it other than a phone mount. I want to go on longer trips but my phone battery has been struggling recently. 

Deltran   Get the Battery tender  and the USB Port. You do have to connect them to the battery though. Its very easy. I have the USB port nest to my clutch. It runs to the battery. The tender connection is right next to it. When I use the tender I just connect it. When the tender os not in use I connect the USB. Its simple.

https://www.batterytender.com/BatteryTender-800-12V-800-mA-USA-Western-Hemisphere

• Like 2

• Global Moderator

I'm not installing a USB outlet. Instead I bought this, the best waterproof cable I can get, it has a male usb-c on one end and male USB on the other.

USB-C.jpg

This rough & tough, CE Certified, USB to USB-C cable, charges...

I'm going to cut off the cable with about 2.5 feet of length, and patch the cut end of the one I want (usb-c male)  into the bikes aux connector.

Then I have the only connector I need at the handlebar, a super waterproof usb-c for my phone/gps

If you need connector parts, go to CycleTerminal com

Sumitomo - HM Sealed(Mounting Bracket type)...

There you will find your plug n play parts to match the existing xsr700 aux plug in the bikes harness.

Have fun

• Premium Member
cornerslider

If you already have a battery tender, you can just add this to the battery tender leads (or even add a battery tender). I put this on my road bikes. It works seamlessly and requires no modifications the the wiring harness. Click on the link below (it works 😎)

""W.O.T. until you see god, then brake"

• Global Moderator
51 minutes ago, Pursuvant said:

I'm not installing a USB outlet. Instead I bought this, the best waterproof cable I can get, it has a male usb-c on one end and male USB on the other.

USB-C.jpg

This rough & tough, CE Certified, USB to USB-C cable, charges...

I'm going to cut off the cable with about 2.5 feet of length, and patch the cut end of the one I want (usb-c male)  into the bikes aux connector.

Then I have the only connector I need at the handlebar, a super waterproof usb-c for my phone/gps

If you need connector parts, go to CycleTerminal com

Sumitomo - HM Sealed(Mounting Bracket type)...

There you will find your plug n play parts to match the existing xsr700 aux plug in the bikes harness.

Have fun

How are you going to get it from 12V to 5V?

• Like 1

• Global Moderator
4 hours ago, tavisb said:

Now tavisb and the consciousnes, why you have to go and spoil my fun like that? haha thank you both, i had not thought about the phone 5v, so add one VDC stepdown to my parts list. Think I will place that in a way that if somebody yanks hard on the usb cable at the handlebar, it will be built to "break" where I want it to, just after power passes through the vdc, to protect the vdc and wiring harness.

One again, thank you guys, it's just a pile of parts in the corner until my next rainny day mod day.

• Like 1

• Global Moderator
4 hours ago, stickshift said:

12v will be fine for phone and accessories. I’ve done pretty much what you’re proposing and it’s never had an issue.

No. Don't run 12V through USB. You'll destroy something eventually. Anything that charges on USB is designed for no more than 5V.

• Premium Member
15 hours ago, tavisb said:

I just looked at my portable generator (with USB ports), and you are correct. The USB ports are 5V.... I'm no electrician (actually I REALLY struggle with electricity). I've been running the battery tender USB plug on multiple bikes, for over a decade. I've never had an issue with charging any electronic accessory, on any bike- ever...... Maybe I'm just lucky?

""W.O.T. until you see god, then brake"

• Global Moderator
2 minutes ago, cornerslider said:

I just looked at my portable generator (with USB ports), and you are correct. The USB ports are 5V.... I'm no electrician (actually I REALLY struggle with electricity). I've been running the battery tender USB plug on multiple bikes, for over a decade. I've never had an issue with charging any electronic accessory, on any bike- ever...... Maybe I'm just lucky?

The battery tender USB plug has circuitry that takes the voltage from 12V down to 5V. That is also why you should not leave that battery tender USB plug hooked up all the time, it will slowly drain your battery. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 3 months later...
  • 10 months later...

I’ve bought a RAM style phone mount with a built in USB port for charging. 
it says on the instructions to attach the positive and negative straight to the battery of the motorbike. 

is this going to cause me any issue? 

i assume that as long as I don’t use the charger with the ignition off, my bikes battery will remain charged. 

I feel pretty comfortable attaching the leads directly to the battery as I did this for my heated grips on my old 125cc bike.
but I’m unsure how to attach the usb to an existing live wire on the bike so that the charger can’t be on when the ignition is off. 

• Global Moderator

While I cannot answer your question I wanted to bring this to your attention.  Any phone with optical stabilization (most newer ones) can be damaged from vibrations when mounted.  We have had guys on the forum damage their phones doing this. 

Exposing your iPhone to high amplitude vibrations within certain frequency ranges, specifically those generated by high-power motorcycle engines, can degrade the performance of the camera system.

24 minutes ago, mjh937 said:

While I cannot answer your question I wanted to bring this to your attention.  Any phone with optical stabilization (most newer ones) can be damaged from vibrations when mounted.  We have had guys on the forum damage their phones doing this. 

Exposing your iPhone to high amplitude vibrations within certain frequency ranges, specifically those generated by high-power motorcycle engines, can degrade the performance of the camera system.

I’ve seen this quite a lot. Had no issue using my phone on my old bike.
And my phone is insured anyway so I’m not bothered if it breaks. 

thanks for the heads up though 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, R22_PSC said:

I’ve bought a RAM style phone mount with a built in USB port for charging. 
it says on the instructions to attach the positive and negative straight to the battery of the motorbike. 

is this going to cause me any issue? 

i assume that as long as I don’t use the charger with the ignition off, my bikes battery will remain charged. 

I feel pretty comfortable attaching the leads directly to the battery as I did this for my heated grips on my old 125cc bike.
but I’m unsure how to attach the usb to an existing live wire on the bike so that the charger can’t be on when the ignition is off. 

The USB charger will be a small parasitic drain on your battery. You would be better off attaching the leads to the Auxiliary connector, so that the USB charger is switched on with the bike. There are several threads on here that locate the connector, and it is your choice to build a connector to it, buy a connector to it, or just wire your USB directly to the wires.

1 hour ago, Jerzee said:

The USB charger will be a small parasitic drain on your battery. You would be better off attaching the leads to the Auxiliary connector, so that the USB charger is switched on with the bike. There are several threads on here that locate the connector, and it is your choice to build a connector to it, buy a connector to it, or just wire your USB directly to the wires.

Hi mate. I should have mentioned, that connector you’re referring to has already been used for my heated grips when the dealership installed them. 
so I don’t have that available 

• Global Moderator
3 hours ago, R22_PSC said:

Hi mate. I should have mentioned, that connector you’re referring to has already been used for my heated grips when the dealership installed them. 
so I don’t have that available 

The Yamaha heated grips wire directly to the battery.  Are you sure the dealership used the aux connector?  I would not think it could take that much current. 

54 minutes ago, mjh937 said:

The Yamaha heated grips wire directly to the battery.  Are you sure the dealership used the aux connector?  I would not think it could take that much current. 

They’re not Yamaha Heated grips. They’re Oxford heated grips. They only come on when the bike is on so I didn’t think they could be linked directly to the battery? 

Edited by R22_PSC

4 minutes ago, R22_PSC said:

They’re not Yamaha Heated grips. They’re Oxford heated grips. They only come on when the bike is on so I didn’t think they could be linked directly to the battery? 

Oxfords generally wire direct to the battery, as they have a voltage sensor that shuts them off when the bike voltage drops (when you shut it down). They draw about 4A current... but the Aux circuit is only 3A...  so you may want to double check that is where they are wired to. I would physically look at the connector and see if there is anything plugged into it, if you have not already done so :) You may still have the Aux available. :)

Just now, Jerzee said:

Oxfords generally wire direct to the battery, as they have a voltage sensor that shuts them off when the bike voltage drops (when you shut it down). They draw about 4A current... but the Aux circuit is only 3A...  so you may want to double check that is where they are wired to. I would physically look at the connector and see if there is anything plugged into it, if you have not already done so :) You may still have the Aux available. :)

Great news, Thanks. I’ll double check the actual connector this weekend. 

5 minutes ago, Jerzee said:

If the connector is free, am I right that this is what I need? 

s-l400.jpg

This item is a male connector as shown in the photos. Below are a couple of videos by the Yamaha...

That 'looks' like the right connector, unless they have changed it on the newer bikes. Physically check yours, as there is an 'empty' connector over the jack that seals it. A solder iron, solder and some heat shrink would also be useful. Best of luck. :)

• Like 1