The MT-07 Forum

ELECTRICAL - Signals used as DRL....

Mr.Puss

• Premium Member

If there are any electrical gurus here that might be able to solve this seemingly simple issue I would be forever grateful.

Previous turn signals were 2 wire Rizoma (x1 led) wired in with a "Custom LED blinker genie" (allows signals to be DRL as well). One B-Genie each for Left and Right side . This worked flawlessly as intended on both front and rear and customized side signals. I swapped out the two front signals for 2 wire Ligh-Tech (x3 led) and they will not run DRL.   The wiring configuration has not been altered in any way. I have not shorted the blinker genie as it still works as before on my customized side signals/drl and rears. Customized side markers are each using a single led penny/trailer light.

Could it be the power draw of the x2 extra leds in the Ligh-Tech signals are simply too much for the B-Genie to function?

***Edit: Custom led states each B-genie can do 2A/25w so I just cant see this being the issue.  I do have another set of B-Genies, so I guess I'll tap those in and see what happens. Other than that Im stumped.  

*****EDIT #2 ... Its the lights, I hooked up the extra Rizoma to the rear and it worked as DRL. I just cant wrap my head around it. Thanks for everyone's input and suggestions, I decided what the hell, use the extra set up front as blinkers only.

Posted pics down below of the current build. :D

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.          Fuss Life.

• Premium Member

Did you double check the negative/ground & positive leads when you hooked up the new blinkers? 

• Like 1

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

• Premium Member
5 hours ago, DewMan said:

Did you double check the negative/ground & positive leads when you hooked up the new blinkers? 

Sure did. I even reversed just to confirm no power. F'n electrical. 

• Like 1

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.          Fuss Life.

• Premium Member
cornerslider
10 hours ago, Mr.Puss said:

Sure did. I even reversed just to confirm no power. F'n electrical. 

I'd rather have a connecting rod laying on the floor in a pool of oil, then have electrical issues..... At least then, you know where to start. Good luck-

• Haha 1

""W.O.T. until you see god, then brake"

• Global Moderator

When it comes to electrical problems I usually resort to walking around the bike counter-clockwise whilst burning incense and chanting.  That seems to have as much chance of working as me trying to fix the wiring myself.  

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Do the new blinkers work normally when you bypass the blinker genie? And are you using an electronic flasher of a load equalizer?

• Like 1

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, mjh937 said:

When it comes to electrical problems I usually resort to walking around the bike counter-clockwise whilst burning incense and chanting.  That seems to have as much chance of working as me trying to fix the wiring myself.  

Well sh*t, theres my problem right there... the magic is clearly held within in the chant instead of the swearing.  ;)

• Haha 1

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, Bigturbomax said:

Do the new blinkers work normally when you bypass the blinker genie? And are you using an electronic flasher of a load equalizer?

Yeah they function as normal. Using a Led flasher relay (by the same company). I even tried tying/tapping right into the rears with new signals and no dice...tried it with the spare Rizoma just in case I somehow missed something in my rats nest of wires under the head lamp and and it worked as DRL.  I dunno, its just not in the cards man, Ive pissed off the 12v Gods somewhere along the line. 

Ive already turned the front end into a UFO along with the 4x denali spots (amber lenses incoming) so I can accept these new signals as blinkers only. I didnt want to lose my rear DRL in the Rizoma's so I figured Id leave the rear alone (giggity) and add the extra blinker set to the front because how many lights is too many lights really?

(Photos using hazards)

1a.jpg

1b.jpg

1c.jpg

20200826_151721.jpg

• Like 1

• Global Moderator

@Mr.Puss, I think you might just have enough lights there already ;) .  I like the Yamaha lights on the side scoops.  Do you have a link for those?

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, mjh937 said:

@Mr.Puss, I think you might just have enough lights there already ;) .  I like the Yamaha lights on the side scoops.  Do you have a link for those?

Enough lights? I do think youre right. Probably best these are blinker only as I might confuse the idiots out there with too much sparkle. ;)

I made those side markers. Pretty easy and relatively inexpensive kitchen table project if youre the hands on type....

Found 40mm(1.5 inch)  3d Yamaha stickers (ebay) and pressed it firmly onto the very clean cut end of a 1.5 inch long piece(+/-) of 1.5 inch (OD) plexiglass tube. (Dont want that sticker coming loose in the resin)  Suspended the tube/sticker halfway into a 2 inch diameter, flat dome style cabochon mold. To easily suspend the tube I drilled two holes in the end of the tube (opposite end of the sticker of course) and ran a stiff wire through both holes and set wire ends on small wood blocks or lego etc set at the appropriate height, voila, tube suspended in the mold. Poured in craft resin, checked periodically that it was all still hanging 'true' in the mold/resin kept fingers crossed the sticker wouldnt come loose and let it set for 24 hours or so.

Carefully Dremel tooled and sanded out the hole to an exact/snug 1.5 inches on the bikes panel, cut a round rubber gasket as an outer seal/ cushion. Slid in the piece of tube/cabochon and secured on the backside with a large c-clip/circlip/retainer ring, sorry I cant remember what size circlip I used.  To make for a super tight and clean fit the circlip sat snugly in a groove that I had previously traced and cut into/around the tube, tight against the panel of course.

Picked up a small led penny trailer light from an autoparts store to illuminate. To fit the light securely I actually used a section of 1.5 inch diameter dense foam tattoo grip cover which fit both the trailer light and the inner diameter of the tube perfectly, its still easily serviceable and I havent had any moisture or shaking loose issues for years now.  As an alternative perhaps a piece of that foamy copper pipe insulation might fit? And lastly I wired in a "Custom Led- Blinker Genie" to make it signal and drl.  ...and Bobs your uncle.  ;)

These are the style of stickers I used. Have seen them available in multi colours.

s-l400.jpg

3D ABS Logo Emblem Sticker. 3D High Quality ABS Emblem. 1 x 3D Emblem Decal. We'd love to hear from...

• Like 1