The MT-07 Forum

Kickstand turns off gear indicator

1Rider

Hi I am new to this site and this is my first post.  I picked up a used 2015 fZ07. When I have the bike turned on but not started the gear indicator works fine and the neutral light works properly. As soon as I put the kickstand up the gear indicator turns off and the neutral light stays on in any gear.

I have replaced the neutral switch and that made NO difference  Same thing happens with the bike started. I am think ing that I have a wire off or a crossed wire. Nothing looks obviously wrong to me. I can't be the first one to experience this but I can't find any threads. Please help!

Edited by 1Rider
Misspell

From the wiring diagram it looks like it has something to do with the sky blue wire between the gear indicator (63) and the starting circuit cut off relay (23)  aaaand the cables of the sidestand switch(26)  going up the same path.

Somehow the sidestand switch pulls the blue-white  wire connected to the starting circuit cut off relay electrically to ground. Thats why the neutral light LED (51) is always on as soon as you put the kickstand up.

A fault of the starting circuit cut off relay is also possible. The diode left of the "24" should prevent this behavior, if it's damaged the bike would behave exactly as you describe.  One can check it by measuring the diodes, I think. But haven't done this before, I would have to look the relay up by myself.

The sky blue wire is mentioned in the service manuals description of testing the gear indicator. In neutral position it has continuity to switch terminal a  (chapter 8 - 141)

grafik.png.51e3cae69b14030a75042e6daa2c916c.png

Sloppy sketch what I mean. Now a beer :D :
sidestandproblem.png.86419e823775c208cc6ed74e4221197c.png

Oh, maybe an idea for a quick test:

Disconnect the Relay Unit (23) (located behind the Rectifier/regulator). See what happens by putting up the kickstand. Ignition switched on, but engine not started. Neutral - LED stays dark? - Probably Relay Unit faulty.  
No guarantee that no error codes will arise, maybe wait for further opinions.

Edited by ElGonzales
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

ElGonzales thank you for your help. It was the starter relay. I pulled it out and tested it and it had a bad diode. $40. Later and all is well.

• Like 3

Wow, a diode very rarely breaks, that was bad luck. Thanks for posting the solution.