The MT-07 Forum

2017 Fz-07 - Sputter even on idle

sthmpsn

Hey All, I'm a pretty new rider and only have around 200 miles on this bike. Unfortunately I had to let it sit for a year without riding it. I finally got out and started off fine but half mile in it started sputtering.  Now it still does it on idle.  I was thinking possibly due to the fuel but I used stabilizer and topped off the rest of the tank (half). I tried disconnecting the o2 sensor and made sure the battery was fully charged (no lights flickering) with no change.  Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.  BTW: no ECU or exhaust mods.

Here's a clip of it: 

Edited by sthmpsn

Bad gas. Dump/siphon/pump that crap outta there and getcha some injector cleaner stronger than Seafoam to run thru it from Napa or wherever. Then hit it right in the airbox (temp remove the filter) with some spray carb cleaner while it's running too. 

Remember a half tank of fresh gas added to a half tank of old gas = a full tank of bad gas. 

• Like 2

• Premium Member

Mossrider is correct. Mine sat for a while and it conked and sputtered while out on the highway and then unexpectedly sprang back to life with a serious jolt. It was a bit freaky.

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.          Fuss Life.

Awesome,  thank you both for the quick response and confirming my suspicions!  I was hoping the high octane gas would balance it out a bit but makes sense to just siphon it out and start clean. I'll pick up some injection cleaner and try the spray carb cleaner as you suggest.  Even though it's fuel injection the carb cleaner should still help out?  

29 minutes ago, sthmpsn said:

Awesome,  thank you both for the quick response and confirming my suspicions!  I was hoping the high octane gas would balance it out a bit but makes sense to just siphon it out and start clean. I'll pick up some injection cleaner and try the spray carb cleaner as you suggest.  Even though it's fuel injection the carb cleaner should still help out?  

Yes. Call it Intake Cleaner if you want. It's a must have in any garage, just like WD-40, screwdriver and band aides.

• Like 1