The MT-07 Forum

NYST 8/15/20 Photos....

blackout

• Premium Member

Going back this Saturday.   Never even unpacked or unhooked.  Lol. Riding the XSR700 into work all week.  :)

20200817_193342.jpg

• Like 1

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

1 hour ago, blackout said:

Going back this Saturday.   Never even unpacked or unhooked.  Lol. Riding the XSR700 into work all week.  :)

Looks like you're about ready to destroy those knee pucks.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
14 minutes ago, mossrider said:

Looks like you're about ready to destroy those knee pucks.

I'm hoping.  I need to get rid of my natural reflex to pull my knee up.   

I dragged toe from a bad foot position this past Saturday and got spooked and straightened the bike up a bit....  

But boy do a lot of people crash.  Glad I haven't,  yet...  lol

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

2 minutes ago, blackout said:

I dragged toe from a bad foot position this past Saturday and got spooked and straightened the bike up a bit....  

It takes a bit of getting used to for sure. If I had to guess you're a little more comfortable in right handers than lefts? Just looking at the tension in your left arm and shoulder. Remember to keep your elbow soft on your inside arm. That helps you keep your chin (weight/upper body) down and over your inside grip and will help keep you committed to your turn and also help with the reflex to stand it up. Once you relax your upper body your roll speed in the corners goes up naturally and it's easier to control/steer in the corners because you're not tying up the steering head with your rigid body. When the roll speed goes up...the knees have to come down...and everything starts to work...

Simple but not very easy, lol.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member

Track time looks super fun! Man at my current skill level Id be akin to the 90yr old semi blind grandma out there. 

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.          Fuss Life.

• Premium Member
cornerslider

I really like what you've done with the R3 bodywork!!! Looks very sharp! I have the same "endurance" windscreen on my 2019 R3..... I was REALLY surprised at the difference it made in the airflow. Little changes, make big impacts sometimes.... Who knew?

• Like 1

""W.O.T. until you see god, then brake"

phanomenal07
8 hours ago, blackout said:

But boy do a lot of people crash.  Glad I haven't,  yet...  lol

Bro I do the same thing. As soon as i get close to the apex I always tuck my knee in out of reflex. My puck has only been down 3 times all while going wide in corners. So I guess when I mess up I forget to tuck my knee lol

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Mr.Puss said:

Track time looks super fun! Man at my current skill level Id be akin to the 90yr old semi blind grandma out there. 

If you think it looks fun wait till you try it! My grandmother once told me her only regrets were never having tried marijuana and never having a threesome. The grandkids were able to help her with the first wish. Granny said later she managed to cross everything off. Point being you have no excuses. 

There are track day groups for everyone. I see folks peeing themselves with excitement with absolutely no plans to go fast let alone ever get a knee down. The shear joy of spending a day piloting a motorcycle w/o fear of cell phones, left turning or oncoming traffic, no speed limits, traffic control or animals is intoxicating. 

Not everyone will become a long term track enthusiast but "That sucked" said no 1st time track day rider ever. 

Your choice.

Dave

• Like 5

phanomenal07
21 minutes ago, mossrider said:

If you think it looks fun wait till you try it! My grandmother once told me her only regrets were never having tried marijuana and never having a threesome. The grandkids were able to help her with the first wish. Granny said later she managed to cross everything off. Point being you have no excuses. 

There are track day groups for everyone. I see folks peeing themselves with excitement with absolutely no plans to go fast let alone ever get a knee down. The shear joy of spending a day piloting a motorcycle w/o fear of cell phones, left turning or oncoming traffic, no speed limits, traffic control or animals is intoxicating. 

Not everyone will become a long term track enthusiast but "That sucked" said no 1st time track day rider ever. 

Your choice.

Dave

Thats a fact. My first day was downpour all day and I still had the best day ever

• Like 2

• Premium Member
10 hours ago, mossrider said:

It takes a bit of getting used to for sure. If I had to guess you're a little more comfortable in right handers than lefts? Just looking at the tension in your left arm and shoulder. Remember to keep your elbow soft on your inside arm. That helps you keep your chin (weight/upper body) down and over your inside grip and will help keep you committed to your turn and also help with the reflex to stand it up. Once you relax your upper body your roll speed in the corners goes up naturally and it's easier to control/steer in the corners because you're not tying up the steering head with your rigid body. When the roll speed goes up...the knees have to come down...and everything starts to work...

Simple but not very easy, lol.

Good advise.  I do keep trying to improve that. 

Not sure which direction I'm more comfortable with, but my favorite turn is the left turn before wheelie hill.   It starts as a down hill then changes to an up hill.  At the top, good riders can get air time.

• Like 1

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

• Premium Member
5 hours ago, mossrider said:

Your choice.

Dave

We do have a track here. It most definitely is on my list of things to do.

• Like 3

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.          Fuss Life.

20 hours ago, blackout said:

20200817_193342.jpg

Are you going to NYST Saturday or pineview? 

• Premium Member
19 minutes ago, Hosleymoto said:

Are you going to NYST Saturday or pineview? 

Going to NYST.

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

• Premium Member

Had an off roading experience at turn 18 this weekend.  (Actually turn 1 going the downtown direction.)  Was on the front straight going 105 mph,  when the red flag was thrown.  I got flustered because I just missed my opportunity to get off the track and realized I had to do another complete lap.  Flustered,  I got on the brake not realizing I was still at part throttle.   My throttle hand froze up and I had no idea why the bike was not slowing down properly.   By time I figured it out, I was going too fast to make the turn.  I rode off into the grass and some how got the bike turned, rode parallel to the track, over a drainage ditch, and then rode back onto the track!  I was totally amazed that I pulled that off without crashing.  So that last lap was a victory lap for myself.  Lol. Bike was just fine and my front forks used full travel for the first time according to the ziptie.  Lol.

• Like 5

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

• Premium Member

Sounds like  an exciting lap. Glad you kept the shiny side up 👍🏻

• Like 1

"Do not let this bad example influence you, follow only what is good" 

• Premium Member

That would get the heart pumping a bit more than expected.  Its sounds eventful, but I don't want to find out what it feels like, I'm sure it'll happen if I crank out a few more track days though.. Eventually.

• 2 months later...
On 8/18/2020 at 10:04 AM, Mr.Puss said:

We do have a track here. It most definitely is on my list of things to do.

@Mr.Puss Send me a DM.
I'm on the executive for the local racing club in Edmonton.

I'm happy to answer questions and help with the easiest way to get started with a track day.

• Like 1