The MT-07 Forum

To fender or not to fender

manuel

Guru, I wanted to do the same thing you did with the bottom reflector but I figured that the angle will make it useless. So I ended up installing the dedicated arm (after cutting a 2cm piece to make it shorter) that makes it sit vertical. I guess this are just details after all...

I know, lots of work, but the Enterprise-less outcome is pretty!! Good stuff!

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Global Moderator

Yeah I was looking at the angle of the reflector but i figured that the tail isn't technically legal anyway. I don't really see any benefit of having a reflector, after all there is a rear light. It's there to hide the metal, nothing more. So the angle doesn't matter. I could bend the bottom part a but I didn't want to break something I just spent so much money on.  :D

• Global Moderator

Guru, quit giving me projects. My bike is not even here yet! I do like the orange turn signals with the tidy tail. I would not have thought that would look good.

Do you have a bulb number for the LED aux light. I want to have one of those ready to go on day one, too (along with the frame sliders that are sitting at home).

• Global Moderator
....Found that the plastic rivets holding the body panels in place are easier to remove if you push their pins down with a pen from inside. ....

Good tip btw. It made popping out those babies a lot easier. I couldn't get the ones in the picture to snap back in tightly. I ended up using some nuts and bolts that came with the kit. But is was difficult to access the nut. Did you have the same problem?

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/33459059/snap.jpg

That's right...I think that was the spot where Enterprise's plastic appendix was attached. A washer or other sort of spacer used with the rivet will probably work.

Because I installed the reflector arm on the plate holder, I ended up with no extra bolts from the kit. Result - 2 ugly holes. Will go to Home Depot and see what black fasteners I can find. And yes that is a difficult spot to access from inside.
Edit: found some rubber washers and used them with the original plastic rivets. It's not perfect, but they seem secure.

• Global Moderator

@manuel. I was doing a little research on the blinkers. I'm still on the fence,not sure if I want to spend that money yet on two sets and the increased flash frequency is holding me back too.

I found a post somewhere where they are discussing the emergency flashers. They don't seem to work when installing the LED's

Someone replied the following:

All sorted thanks to Yamaha. If you guys ever fit a full set for front and rear, the lights come with individual resistors. Make sure you only fit to the rear which can be mounted under pillion seat. The front leds will not need the resistors. So I took these off on front and all is fine now. Thanks to Yamaha for the advise. Learn something new every day. Guess the hazard wiring loom gets affected with to many resistors.
Not sure of it also solves the flash frequency, but it' worth a try to only fit the back with resistors and leave the front ones alone.

Thanks for researching the matter Guru. It is definitely worth a try - later this afternoon. Will update after I try.

As mentioned I only tried with all resistors installed, and also only on the left side. They did not slow down when installed like that.

I don't have however any problems with the emergency flashers. They blink at the same rate as the turn signals, with and without resistors installed as mentioned above.

If all fails, there is this. They don't know if it will work with our bike (I asked), but it is a two pin and that should make it plug and play. For the amount it costs it's worth experimenting, if I can figure out all the side panel fasteners (yep, checked Yamaha's website and the relay is indeed located on the left side of the tank, towards the front).

• Global Moderator

Yes, let us know how it all works out. You are our Guinea Pig !

I scored a set of Euro flashers in the meantime. They seem somewhat smaller then my orange balloons and I like it that they have clear lenses. Not sure if they are plug'n'play but we'll see once they get here. I will keep you posted.

Ok, adding just the rear resistors did not make any difference.
Posted a question on the other forum, too.

I'll get it solved, I am sure. Eventually.

BTW, I was looking at the specs in the manual and it looks like our turn signals lights are 21W. Euro MT-07 manual specifies 10W. Not sure what the specs on the resistors are, but I think that could explain why they don't work.

• Global Moderator

I'm not much of a electrician, but if you put two resistors in one wire, would that double the resistance and maybe work?

I will try that and also, as suggested by the gentleman on the other forum, wire them across and not inline. Don't know, is there any other combo I can try :) ?

That's the last attempt before I hit the buy relay button...

BTW Guru, your new avatar rocks!

ok guys, resistors are no go. I tried all sorts of exotic combinations (my electrician friend would have slapped me over my head if he knew), none of which did any good.

Relay is in order. I need to open it up and see what's in there as the part number that we have up here is obviously different from what they have in Europe. There are 3 suppliers I started talking with, they all need to see it, obviously. Initial research tells me that it's the same part number they use in the vmax, so if they made that work, we're looking good.

Will keep this thread updated.

Update: looks like one exotic combination I haven't tried was to put 3 (yes three) resistors inline per side. Which I tried, just for kicks. Surprise: it works! Problem is you need six in total, at which point the bike weight will probably double. Plus, I only have 4. Or you can go for a 3.3 ohm resistor per side and problem will be solved.

And the other tip regarding the resistors only needed for the rear holds true as well.

Ordered the flasher relay, let's see what's that going to do.

Finally, my flasher relay came in. Install time - 10 seconds (after the 15 minutes spent pulling the left side tank panel out). Full plug and play, now I HAVE NORMAL BLINKING FLASHERS! That requires a beer. Or four - one per flasher!

For people interested in doing this, the one I have ordered (there is a huge variety out there) is ELFR-1 from Custom LED.

Just a note, the relay comes with a tab that is larger than the rubber socket where stock relay lives. Clipped the excess plastic on the tab and now it fits fine.

Hey Ken, this thread involves these parts:
1. Yamaha original accessory - sport license plate holder, part# 1WS-F16E0-00-00, mid-section removed
2. Yamaha LED Turn Signals (black) - part# YME-W0789-00-00
3. Electronic flasher relay to replace the original, otherwise your LED flashers will blink twice as fast. The one I have tried (and as mentioned works plug and play) is from CustomLED, here.
Now, I noticed these parts are not listed on the Yamaha US website, but they are on the Canadian website. The plate holder came straight from Europe though, as the model designation on the box was MT-07. I suggest talking to your dealer, they might be able to get them for you.
If you want to go aftermarket, R&G and Rizoma (as far as I know) make fender eliminator kits for our bikes, but you will probably have to go with their own LED turn signals. Rizoma at least have a large variety of turn signals. They relay will also probably work, but it's something you will have to test.

• Global Moderator
Oem tail tidy ordered. Can the LED be plug and play?
The licence plate light?  Yes, it's plug and play. 

I ended up ordering the mt-07 front windscreen. What is going on here with all these mods? LoL! Since it will be raining here all week, the red tank covers will be painted satin black. This has got to stop some day...yeah right!

• 3 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

Hey guys,

I've been looking at all the fender eliminators available for our bikes, and I found a new one you may have not seen yet.

It's from Vagabond Motorsports.  It retains the stock licence plate light, and I like the fact that the turn signal mounts are not just tabs with exposed wires, but actually a boxed in mount hiding everything nicely.  The angle of the license late is also spot on.  Too many of them I've seen have the plate too vertical for my liking.  It also follows the theme of the front signal assembly, as in, the signals are above the plate, like they are above the headlight up front.

They have it pictured with LEDs on the left, and the stock melons on the right.  I really like the look of these LEDs...they are super thin, and the way the outside edge is at an angle seems to follow the angular look of our bike.

Have a look and let me know what you think.  Bet of all, it's dirt cheap at $59...

http://www.vagabondmotorsports.com/Yamaha-FZ-07-2015-Fender-Eliminator-VM-Y720.htm

InstagramCapture_12d62385-47e4-4fd9-8025-122b686a581e_jpg.jpg 

- Paulie

• Premium Member

I looked at those turn signals when I was buying new ones, I didn't think they would flow right due to the shape but I would have to see all 4 mounted. I do like that fender eliminator though.

Keep the rubber side down and the shiny side up.

Archived