The MT-07 Forum

To fender or not to fender

manuel

Hey guys, 
I've been looking at all the fender eliminators available for our bikes, and I found a new one you may have not seen yet.

It's from Vagabond Motorsports.  It retains the stock licence plate light, and I like the fact that the turn signal mounts are not just tabs with exposed wires, but actually a boxed in mount hiding everything nicely.  The angle of the license late is also spot on.  Too many of them I've seen have the plate too vertical for my liking.  It also follows the theme of the front signal assembly, as in, the signals are above the plate, like they are above the headlight up front.

They have it pictured with LEDs on the left, and the stock melons on the right.  I really like the look of these LEDs...they are super thin, and the way the outside edge is at an angle seems to follow the angular look of our bike.

Have a look and let me know what you think.  Bet of all, it's dirt cheap at $59...

http://www.vagabondmotorsports.com/Yamaha-FZ-07-2015-Fender-Eliminator-VM-Y720.htm

InstagramCapture_12d62385-47e4-4fd9-8025-122b686a581e_jpg.jpg 

- Paulie
I like it! But from what I see here, while the wires are not visible, the bottom of the box is still open. Not a huge issue. The angle and the packaging are nice and so is the price.  
And while the melons can work with it, I don't condone it 8-)

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Premium Member

The bottom of the box is open, but the good thing about this design is the fact that you can make a plate to close it and screw it to the upper mount.  I plan to do that using countersunk allen head screws.

I really like the angles of the plate, and even the box itself.  The leading edge of the box when looking from the side follows the angle of the plate.

They really did a good job on this one, and the price is very reasonable...

-Paulie

The bottom of the box is open, but the good thing about this design is the fact that you can make a plate to close it and screw it to the upper mount.  I plan to do that using countersunk allen head screws. 
I really like the angles of the plate, and even the box itself.  The leading edge of the box when looking from the side follows the angle of the plate.

They really did a good job on this one, and the price is very reasonable...

-Paulie
Looks great, they've got my order whenever available. I've been waiting for something that looks stock and not flashy, I think this fits the bill nicely.  

Hey, for those who have the Yamaha tail tidy installed (without the extension fitted), I'm hoping you can do me a favour...I like the look of the extension so I needed all the bolts provided in the kit to mount the assembly on my bike. Last week one of the bolts went missing during a ride (have no idea why as the remaining 7 are just as snug as when first installed). When I checked with Yamaha they said they don't supply the bolts outside the kit, so I'd have to find a generic approximation if I can't find an original. So...for those who have extra bolts left over from their install (that means you guru and manuel ;) would you be willing to 'part' with one to help a fellow FZ-07er in need?

Below is a pic of the bolt (and associated nut) that I'm referring to as well as the part description from the installation instructions (M6X16 bolt, M6 nut).

Thanks guys!
9etu4yva.jpgy9ugypuh.jpg

olderthandirt

Price jumped from $59.00 to $64.99 for that Vagabond item practically overnight.

Congress is the only whore house in the United States that loses money.

Hey, for those who have the Yamaha tail tidy installed (without the extension fitted), I'm hoping you can do me a favour...I like the look of the extension so I needed all the bolts provided in the kit to mount the assembly on my bike. Last week one of the bolts went missing during a ride (have no idea why as the remaining 7 are just as snug as when first installed). When I checked with Yamaha they said they don't supply the bolts outside the kit, so I'd have to find a generic approximation if I can't find an original. So...for those who have extra bolts left over from their install (that means you guru and manuel ;) would you be willing to 'part' with one to help a fellow FZ-07er in need? 
Below is a pic of the bolt (and associated nut) that I'm referring to as well as the part description from the installation instructions (M6X16 bolt, M6 nut).

Thanks guys!
9etu4yva.jpgy9ugypuh.jpg

I, for some reason, can only locate the 4 nuts that were left. Will search for the rest. If I find them - happy to share :)

• Premium Member
Price jumped from $59.00 to $64.99 for that Vagabond item practically overnight.
Yeah, I saw that too...but it's still a bargan I think.  It's a very complete kit.  They put up a PDF version of their instructions... 
They include everthing!  Even plastic spacers to take up the space of the push pins when removing the factory plastic!

Best of all, the two piece design means you can use the top part, and if you wanted, fabricate you're own bottom mount if you decide you want to change the design a little.

The did a fantastic job on this.

- Paulie

• Global Moderator
Hey, for those who have the Yamaha tail tidy installed (without the extension fitted), I'm hoping you can do me a favour...

I will take a look too although I used two nuts and bolts to fill up these holes. I guess the must be two more in the box. I will let you know.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/33459059/snap.jpg

Thanks for taking a look manuel and guru. Appreciated :)

Guru, here's a thought...the snap rivets that connect the rear side covers to the fuel tank covers are the proper length to plug those holes in the tail--see below. They fit snugly and restore the original look (if you can live with spending a few bucks for something Yamaha should have included in the kit to begin with. Sigh...)sy3e9ysy.jpga3ubadu7.jpgu2e2ypam.jpg

• Global Moderator

That's a good idea. Thanks.

I found these nuts and bolts. If you want them, PM me your address and I will send them to you.

photo_N_B.JPG

Guru is clearly more organized than I am.

As far as the plastic rivets go, they can be ordered from Yamaha - they have them catalogued. And I agree, it's an oversight.

I tried with some stubby rivets that the gentleman at the dealership helped me with but they were so snug I was hesitant to put them on. After many attempts (rubber washers included) I ended up using some countersunk bolts and nuts (long nose pliers were used to hold the nut in place inside) and all looks flush and uniform in color.

I got my Vagabond Motorsports fender eliminator in the mail this weekend. The kit is packaged nicely and comes with a thorough set of instructions. The fit and finish of the part is very nice and super minimalist design. It took me longer to disassemble the bike than I thought it would.. getting everything out of the way isn't easy the first go-around. Start to finish it took me about 1.5 hours. Pictures below.

DKkGHXs.jpg
D50BozU.jpg
J0TtACy.jpg
MDG0yok.jpg

• Global Moderator

Very funny @lusiphur. Yes I did, I have no need for them anymore. (said Guru in a high pitched voice)  (rofl)

Archived