The MT-07 Forum

Drivechain eating into front sprocket, is it normal?

xor_bot

I had a look at my front sprocket today, and the chain has carved out some grooves next to the teeth of the sprocket. Being a new rider, maybe I'm just paranoid. But this kind of mechanical wear seems wrong to me. How does your sprockets look? I bought the bike with 14500km on it. 2014 model.

sprocket.thumb.JPG.88b2f322d79e1f64910e2ebf6d02b5a1.JPG

52 minutes ago, xor_bot said:

I had a look at my front sprocket today, and the chain has carved out some grooves next to the teeth of the sprocket. Being a new rider, maybe I'm just paranoid. But this kind of mechanical wear seems wrong to me. How does your sprockets look? I bought the bike with 14500km on it. 2014 model.

sprocket.thumb.JPG.88b2f322d79e1f64910e2ebf6d02b5a1.JPG

That's normal. That's a rubber damper ring that butts up against the bottom of the chain as it goes around the front sprocket. It's doing its job. 

Good on you for noticing the little things but continue your inspection elsewhere.

😉

This is a Silent-Sprocket. The wear you see in the rubber-area next to the teeth is normal.
I add an old pic of my old sprocket

IMG_20181229_172803.jpg

14 minutes ago, ElGonzales said:

This is a Silent-Sprocket. The wear you see in the rubber-area next to the teeth is normal.
I add an old pic of my old sprocket

IMG_20181229_172803.jpg

WTH! Get that cleaned up or I'm coming over there! 

Gonna pound knots on yer noggin faster n you can rub em off...

😜

• Haha 1

I bought the bike with 15.000 km on it. This was the first time I removed the cover. Chain ran in clean and came out dirty :D

All new and shiny now! And I don't use grease anymore, installed a chain oiler. This is such a relief, no more sticking sand and dirt.  Pull the chain through a rag and voila: clean.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ElGonzales said:

This was the first time I removed the cover.

Whew, I had to run n take my meds, scared me there for a minute...

Shhh shhh shhh....everything new and clean....and already with some wear marks at the damper ring after one burned tank of fuel. I've heard you guys over there have to pay for your heart attacks by yourself, I don't want to ruin someones life :D

IMG_20200502_161319.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, ElGonzales said:

I've heard you guys over there have to pay for your heart attacks by yourself, I don't want to ruin someones life :D

Haha! Dangerously true sir!