The MT-07 Forum

Does audio, noise protection and voice activation exist at highway speeds?

Evanlamarr88

Evanlamarr88

On a highway ride, I want to be able to:

• listen to music
  • tell Siri to find me directions to somewhere
  • have protection for my hearing

Wired earbuds solve (or mostly solve) all of these problems except the voice activation. You'd have to stop, get off your bike, plug in the directions and/or music, and be on your way.

Cardo seems to be the big hitter, but I've read lots of reviews saying that at highway speeds the voice activation is a joke (making a cheap set of earbuds just as effective) and that if you wear earplugs to protect your hearing, the volume isn't loud enough to overcome them.

AirPod Pro's noice cancellation and Siri activation seem not to work at speed, either.

Really surprised that in 2020 there isn't a solution to all this. Or is there?

Edited by Evanlamarr88
  • Like 1

Cardo and ear plugs work fine, for me anyway. I use the lower DB silicone variety ear plugs and a GT air helmet (shoei). 

But, I save the highway for the fjr1300. Triple digits all day long, with no wind. 

The audio is OK, but I’m realistic about the ability of the system to overcome the outside noise. Where the Cardo does well is the mic and speaking. 

you can use some earbuds with the Cardo setup. But the wires hanging there remind me that I’m old and have no patience for such things. 

Edited by Two-rocks
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I have the Cardo packtalk slim in a Shoei RF SR. I would say that at 50-60mph it’s still somewhat useable. Anything over that the wind noise overpowers the Cardo. For me I have no desire to listen to music or use functions on the highway. In my state WA ear buds are illegal to wear. As for directions, i rehearse the high portion of the route to know which exit to take. Then I can rely on the Cardo for the rest of the details. 

I Imagine the Cardo would be functional with a full size wind screen or while riding a full size cruiser. This is something the FZ07 doesn’t have. 

• 5 months later...
cheetahman023

I have a packtalk bold.  On a Vstar 950 with Shoei GT Air II going over 80+ unit has difficulty understanding voice commands.  However, communicating with other riders in the group is fine.