The MT-07 Forum

How bad could this rear axle mistake be?

redwood

I've got a fun one. I finished up changing the chain/sprockets and adjusted the slack to spec. Hard part is over, right?  Well it seems that I may have over-torqued the rear wheel nut because I forgot to lock my torque wrench after a long day.

As I was tightening the nut, every so often it felt like the rear axle was moving in and out of position. Then I looked at the right side and saw that I had stripped a fair amount of the adjuster indicator (?) shown in the image below.

I tried repositioning the indicator by loosening the left side, but attempting to loosen the nut was only stripping the other side more. So I hammered in the axle tight and left in the position seen in the photo. The rear wheel doesn't appear to have any side to side play so I'm thinking it's good? I went for 5 minute test ride and everything felt fine: no weird sounds and no movement of the axle.

I should probably get this fixed but I'm wondering (1) if there's a solution I'm not seeing and (2) is it a problem that should be fixed but is okay in the short term?

Thanks and hope this provides a chuckle. I couldn't help laughing at myself despite being frustrated that I messed up the easiest part of the process and a task I've done many times before!

rear axle.png

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

• Premium Member
cornerslider

Honestly.... That is completely wrong, and do NOT ride it like that. That collar around the axle is supposed to be rotated 90 degrees to sit inside the channel between the top & bottom of the swing arm. If that loosens up, that collar could easily rotate 90 degrees, drop back into the channel- if that happens the wheel would instantly become VERY loose.

You need to get the axle loose, and get the collars inside the channel on both sides of the swing arm.  The OEM axle nut has a locking ring on it that generally destroys the threads on the axle (I've already replaced mine). Good luck-

• Like 3

""W.O.T. until you see god, then brake"

Wow I did not think about! You're totally right, thank you.

My interim solution is pictured below. I oriented the collar correctly and snugged it all together with the spools. This at least seems better, just gotta trust the spools but they've never budged on me before.

Thoughts on this before I head to a shop?

IMG_20200814_204740.jpg

• Like 1

No, head to a shop and get the parts to fix the screw up before riding again.  Why risk it?

• Like 3