The MT-07 Forum

Operating Temperature changed after 1st Oil Change

Evanlamarr88

Evanlamarr88

So I just bought a 2019 MT07 and just passed the 600 mi mark, so I changed my oil (to Mobile1 Racing 4T 10W-40).

W/ stock oil, bike operated around 180°F-210°F, but after I changed my oil it’s now operating around 200°F-225°F. Freaks me out.

Did I not get enough oil in? I filled until the reservoir sight glass was half full when bike was perpendicular to the ground (off kickstand) while not running. Changed oil cold.

TIA for anyone’s help, and feel free to tell me I’m paranoid. The temp light never came on.

You're paranoid.

There's a million explanations for this perceived change. You're within normal operating range. Double check your work just to be double sure and move on.

The way I look at temp is the more temperature I get transferred into my oil and water (where it can be dissipated) the less there is in the motors hard parts, meaning less chance of damaging anything. 

$.02

• Thanks 1

If your touching 225 on the open road, you've got problems.  If you're hitting it in SLOW traffic in town, it's normal.  Did you change the filter?  Was there plastic on the bottom to remove?  You've filled to the correct spot on the site glass.  Overfilling would result in hard shifting, especially when hot.  Otherwise, just FYI:  Amsoil MC10w40 won't insulate; Harley owners love it for that reason.  They don't burn themselves on the exhaust manifold because the oil keeps the engine so much cooler.  I don't sell it any more, but can't say enough good about that oil.  There's posts on this site that I've written.