The MT-07 Forum

Bike tipped over and leaked coolant...questions

seven

I was just in a parking lot practicing low speed maneuvers on my MT-07, bike stalled, I got my right foot down but couldn't keep the bike standing and slowly laid it down on the right side. I have EVOTech frame/axle/fork sliders to protect everything. The bike was on it's side for about 30 seconds before I got it upright and it wasn't until then that I noticed a bunch of coolant had leaked out. The reservoir is basically empty but I can see no signs of where the coolant leaked from. I am looking at a copy of the service manual and I can't see anything about an overflow like a car has. I am perplexed. 

Any insight on where the fluid would have leaked from?

The service manual says to use "High-quality ethylene glycol anti-freeze containing corrosion inhibitors for aluminum engines". Any recommendations one a brand to get?

It sounds like I need to possibly fill both the radiator and the reservoir, correct?

• Like 1

I would just refill the reservoir. If the rest of the cooling system is low it will automatically siphon what it needs out of the reservoir. Just watch it for a couple rides to see if it sucks up anything and needs topped off again. 

I'm all about budget and don't like wasting money on fancy coolants. I also like to support the people who provide me with awesome bikes that I get to enjoy. If the cost isn't out of line, I would just buy a jug of Yamaha coolant from my local dealer. It puts money in the pockets of two companies I want to keep thriving, and you'll know for a fact that it will be quality coolant that will jive with what's already in your bike. 

Not saying I think Yamaha coolant is superior or required, just that it's what I would do. 

Props to you for practicing low speeds skills! That's by far the best thing any rider can do. And I think it's fun. Ride safe, man !

• Like 3

Yeah trying to get better at full lock turns doing about 8-10 km/h...it's damn tough.

Good point about supporting my local shop too, which I try to do as much as possible.

• Like 2

Since it happened hot and you didn't get steam, just coolant, it came out the bottle overflow hose. 

Just refill and make sure the hoses are good.

• Like 1

Got new red 2015 FZ-07 on 7/22/16!
Black 2006 Honda ST1300 53K miles.

On 8/12/2020 at 7:23 AM, peteinpa said:

Since it happened hot and you didn't get steam, just coolant, it came out the bottle overflow hose. 

Just refill and make sure the hoses are good.

Yeah when I refilled yesterday I discovered that there was a drain hose running out of the cap to the reservoir.

On 8/12/2020 at 2:35 AM, seven said:

I was just in a parking lot practicing low speed maneuvers on my MT-07, bike stalled, I got my right foot down but couldn't keep the bike standing and slowly laid it down on the right side. I have EVOTech frame/axle/fork sliders to protect everything. The bike was on it's side for about 30 seconds before I got it upright and it wasn't until then that I noticed a bunch of coolant had leaked out. The reservoir is basically empty but I can see no signs of where the coolant leaked from. I am looking at a copy of the service manual and I can't see anything about an overflow like a car has. I am perplexed. 

Any insight on where the fluid would have leaked from?

The service manual says to use "High-quality ethylene glycol anti-freeze containing corrosion inhibitors for aluminum engines". Any recommendations one a brand to get?

It sounds like I need to possibly fill both the radiator and the reservoir, correct?

Wow this in uncanny. This is exactly what happened to me some days ago. Parking lot practising a low speed right u-turn, stalled, dropped, fluid came out. For some reason I thought it might be petrol overflow. Good thing I read this. I better check my coolant level before riding again.

21 hours ago, seven said:

Yeah when I refilled yesterday I discovered that there was a drain hose running out of the cap to the reservoir.

By the way, I checked my service manual today, and in my case it was definitely fluid coming out of the fuel tank overflow hose (with the bike laid down on the righthand side). Whether overflow happens will depend on fluid levels, so your case might be different, but it could also be that your coolant has been low even before the bike was laid down and the fluid leaking out was fuel (did you smell it?).

4 hours ago, xor_bot said:

By the way, I checked my service manual today, and in my case it was definitely fluid coming out of the fuel tank overflow hose (with the bike laid down on the righthand side). Whether overflow happens will depend on fluid levels, so your case might be different, but it could also be that your coolant has been low even before the bike was laid down and the fluid leaking out was fuel (did you smell it?).

Yeah I confirmed that it was coolant. I too initially thought it was fuel but looking at it I noticed a bluish tinge and had moment of panic that it was oil so smelled it and know it was coolant and of course confirmed that my coolant tank was empty. I normally check fluids (and tires, lights, mechanical, etc) before I ride.

58 minutes ago, seven said:

Yeah I confirmed that it was coolant. I too initially thought it was fuel but looking at it I noticed a bluish tinge and had moment of panic that it was oil so smelled it and know it was coolant and of course confirmed that my coolant tank was empty. I normally check fluids (and tires, lights, mechanical, etc) before I ride.

Okay cool. I was so flustered after I dropped mine that I didn't even think of smelling it at the time. Good luck with the low speed practice!

• Like 1