The MT-07 Forum

Crash cages

jhoffa

So I'm looking to get a little bit into stunt riding. Nothing serious, just for fun. The thought of dropping my bike and doing damage to it makes me shiver, and I've been told to get a crash cage. You guys know about any brand that's high quality or highly recommended?  

• Premium Member

I recall "Higdonian" and "Hepco and Becker" made cages.

These guys also had one at one time as well.... doesnt show in stock but perhaps they can point you in the right direction.

The Sic Shop - Stunt Parts Stunt Apparel Shop by Brand/Bike Stunt Stickers Product Videos Gift Certificates Sic Shop Swag stunt...

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.          Fuss Life.

• Global Moderator

The Moro Cage edition was available in Europe.  I am not sure how expensive it would be to get those parts in the US.  

Also if you are concerned not dropping your bike then stunting it is not a good idea.  When I see stunt shows the bikes look awful, the protection is mostly so the mechanical parts do not get damaged, cosmetically they usually look pretty beat up. 

• Like 1

There's a pretty big fz07 stunt community on Instagram but it's hard to find anything about it on the forums. The three big stunt cage makers I know of are Impaketech, newbreedstunts, and fullmetalstunts, there's a few others out there too though so you don't have to stick to these three. I'm pretty sure impaktech and newbreed have their own website but you have to order from fullmetalstunts by DMing him on Instagram which is what I did and I'm real happy with my cage even though I don't really stunt.

• Like 2

¿Qué tal, @jhoffa?!

Like you, I am into light stunting and have been researching cages lately. I am leaning toward the ones made by Impaktech ( www.ImpaktechUSA.com ), a small shop in Riverside, California, which is a city located on the eastern edge of metropolitan Los Angeles. Their hardware looks great and is super-solid, according to reviews I’ve seen online.

Check out the YouTube video below about a stunt rider who has Impaktech‘s front cage and adjustable aluminum rear subframe on his silver FZ07.

Most stunters drastically alter their chain drive setup as well, so in addition to bolting-on the cages, the guy swapped out his stock 16-tooth front sprocket and 43-tooth rear sprocket for a 15-T front / 50-T rear combo. This configuration makes the FZ, a bike that’s already wheelie-prone in OEM form, even more eager to lift its front end.

The sprocket change does, of course, mean you lose out when it comes to top speed, dropping from a stock bike’s ability to hit 133 mph (214 km/h) down to around 100 mph (160 km/h). But I don’t consider that much of a sacrifice since we really ought not be going 133 mph on public roads anyhow. 

Then again, we shouldn’t really be doing wheelies on public roads either, but where’s the fun in that?!!

Here’s the link I referenced above:

https://youtu.be/xWZRSvHdDbA

Edited by D.A.
  • Like 1

@jhoffa :  I also wanted to mention you‘ll get quite a bit of protection for a lot less money by using regular frame and axle sliders rather than investing in a cage and subframe. I have Shogun sliders on my frame and OES sliders on both axles.

If you drop an FZ07 equipped with this gear you’ll still potentially scratch or bend your clutch handle / brake handle / handlebar end weights / front turn signals / mirrors / foot pegs / feeler pegs / passenger pegs / passenger peg mounting brackets / air scoops / shift pedal / rear brake pedal / kickstand / and muffler (depending on which side of the motorcycle hits the ground). But in a typical low-side bike drop the sliders will do an admirable job of protecting the frame / engine / forks / swing arm / wheels / headlight / and plastics from being damaged.

The cage provides greater overall protection but if you loop a cage-equipped bike trying to do a wheelie, you’re going to sustain significant damage in spite of the fact you have the cage installed. Plus, OEM FZ07 parts are relatively cheap and in many cases, replacing damaged parts costs a lot less than purchasing a cage and subframe (and in my opinion it only makes sense to buy both the cage and subframe as opposed to the cage only).

I still want the cages, though, because they provide both multi-drop protection and some peace of mind, meaning I believe they’d make me less paranoid about dropping the bike. Paranoia (a.k.a. fear) prevents you from pushing a motorcycle — and yourself — to the limit.