The MT-07 Forum

Oil Leak Near Exhaust Wires

FZ07Tristan

FZ07Tristan

Hello,

I just got my 2015 FZ07 back from the mechanic last night after crashing it a couple weeks ago.

everything is working fine now and it’s riding smooth.. but the 2 wires that connect to my exhaust and surrounding parts are covered in oil(?) and I can’t tell where it’s coming from.

it got scratched up pretty bad so I’m worried something cracked that I didn’t notice? 
any help or advice is appreciated! Thanks.

3BFF40C3-1A56-43E7-B271-C84C4429623F.jpeg

785848A4-F083-43EF-B8D8-FAC174CE5CF6.jpeg

F021DB00-AB91-4DFE-BC75-CBBD01644380.jpeg

That looks more like road grime, which is common under there, than fresh oil.

Clean the bottom up good and go for a hour long ride. I mean clean it with Simple Green or similar. Then after your ride wipe the area with a clean white paper towel again to see if it comes back or if it's oil. 

My guess is it never got cleaned up in the first place. 

FZ07Tristan
1 hour ago, mossrider said:

That looks more like road grime, which is common under there, than fresh oil.

Clean the bottom up good and go for a hour long ride. I mean clean it with Simple Green or similar. Then after your ride wipe the area with a clean white paper towel again to see if it comes back or if it's oil. 

My guess is it never got cleaned up in the first place. 

I cleaned it off yesterday night and when I came into work this morning I checked again and it was covered in it again

28 minutes ago, FZ07Tristan said:

I cleaned it off yesterday night and when I came into work this morning I checked again and it was covered in it again

Ok. Now carefully check all the fasteners paying special attention to any the mechanic would have messed with. Those wires are routed up the back side of the motor, one is the O2 sensor and attached to the exhaust pipe, the other should be the oil sending unit that is attached at the lower right front of the motor. Check the bottom and back face of the motor for oil, where the wires go. This is a notorious area for gunk, oil, road smeg and various nastiness to accumulate.  If the mechanic had the clutch cover off there could easily be some residual oil on different parts of the motor dripping and making a mess. I can still see gunk in the pics so it hasn't been thuroughly cleaned yet. Patience and persistence.

FZ07Tristan
50 minutes ago, mossrider said:

Ok. Now carefully check all the fasteners paying special attention to any the mechanic would have messed with. Those wires are routed up the back side of the motor, one is the O2 sensor and attached to the exhaust pipe, the other should be the oil sending unit that is attached at the lower right front of the motor. Check the bottom and back face of the motor for oil, where the wires go. This is a notorious area for gunk, oil, road smeg and various nastiness to accumulate.  If the mechanic had the clutch cover off there could easily be some residual oil on different parts of the motor dripping and making a mess. I can still see gunk in the pics so it hasn't been thuroughly cleaned yet. Patience and persistence.

Okay I’ll try that out. After taking it apart a little I’m now seeing the one wire (the one I’m holding in the picture) wasn’t even plugged in.

I just cleaned it off and plugged it back in.

A33D7638-53E1-42A3-871A-7282D757635B.jpeg