The MT-07 Forum

Tuning (and other related mods) questions

seven

I have read through many of the tuning threads but still have a few questions. But first let me first start with what I currently am looking to do and what I understand.

I am currently completely stock and my biggest desire is to smooth out the off/on throttle jerkiness, reduce some of the engine braking and have a nice buttery smooth power delivery. I am not looking to sqeeze all available power out of the bike, if there is more to be had that comes as a result, that's cool. To do that I was thinking of getting the FTEcu on-bike tuner and purchasing a tune from 2WDW. I confirmed with 2WDW that this is doable. 

I was considering removing the intake snorkel just to let the bike breathe better and I am interested in what the bike will sound like with it out.

I am also considering an exhaust, specifically the Akra Ti (either with or without cat) or the Yosh R77 (only available in catless). I want something that sounds better than stock but minimally louder. From other threads I have posted, it sounds like either of these exhausts with baffle in would fit the bill. Please correct me if I am wrong.

1 - If I were to pull the snorkel now without any tune, will there be any ill effects in drivability, poor EFR/Lambda, risk of engine damage, etc?

2 - With the 2WDW tune are there any drivability issues as the temperature swings from 5 Celsius to 35 Celcius? Like cold starts/driving? Does this change with the addition of an exhaust? Does having a catted exhaust further change any of this? 
NOTE: I was told by the service advisor at my dealership that on a cold morning the bike might run rough, backfire and might not be drivable. 

Thanks,

Shawn

• Global Moderator

I have been running the 2WDW tune with stock exhaust and no snorkel for over three years now with absolutely no problems, in fact I have been very happy with it.  I have had no problems at all and I ride year round.  

• Like 2

I realize this is not going to be a groundbreaking or original statement - The 2WDW flash with snorkel removal is phenomenal.   Also no problems experienced by me, extremely happy with the result.  

• Like 2

Yeah, so my immediate decision now is should cancel the extended warranty that I bought (4 additional years cost ~$800 CND)? If I tune the bike and something happens that I would need warranty work on the engine, Yamaha asks for some dump from the ECU and it would of course show that the bike is tuned.

I also confirmed that there is no way to flash the exact stock file back, that the best that could be done would be to flash stock-like settings. Not sure what Yamaha would look for though.

I do believe in pay-to-play but in this situation as I am just trying to smooth out the throttle and not chasing horsepower, I feel it is different. Maybe I am just trying to justify it to myself.

• Global Moderator

I am not sure if it is the same in Canada, but in the US unless tuning the ECU was the cause of the problem any modifications have no effect on the warranty.  Unless they suspected the ECU was the problem they would not even know you had flashed it, it is not something they would check. 

• Like 1

No offense but you're over thinking this whole thing. Don't worry about all this minutiae and enjoy your bike, riding and modding experience. The odds of needing warranty work are so small and the odds of a service tech 'discovering' anything other than his lunch are even smaller. 

Keep the extended warranty, enjoy the bike, worry about something else. 

Ride safe and far.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

• Global Moderator
3 hours ago, mossrider said:

the odds of a service tech 'discovering' anything other than his lunch are even smaller

Haha Moss you are a nuke bomb, that raw command of the language is a gift from one of your parents I bet. My hat is off to your Mom and Dad, they have done a great service to the world - they gave it a person who really knows how to laugh with others hahaha

• Like 1

11 hours ago, mossrider said:

No offense but you're over thinking this whole thing. Don't worry about all this minutiae and enjoy your bike, riding and modding experience. The odds of needing warranty work are so small and the odds of a service tech 'discovering' anything other than his lunch are even smaller. 

Keep the extended warranty, enjoy the bike, worry about something else. 

Ride safe and far.

LOL. No offense taken at all. I know I analyse the crap out of things and at the risk of continuing that same behavior, based on your comment about it being unlikely that I would have an engine/trans related warranty claim should I not just save the money and cancel?

4 minutes ago, seven said:

LOL. No offense taken at all. I know I analyse the crap out of things and at the risk of continuing that same behavior, based on your comment about it being unlikely that I would have an engine/trans related warranty claim should I not just save the money and cancel?

The warranty is up to you I guess. Lots of folks like the peace of mind that comes with having a decent warranty. 2 bills/year isn't that much and it covers more than the motor. Electrics can be a real nightmare if something pops up. Up to you. 

1 minute ago, mossrider said:

The warranty is up to you I guess. Lots of folks like the peace of mind that comes with having a decent warranty. 2 bills/year isn't that much and it covers more than the motor. Electrics can be a real nightmare if something pops up. Up to you. 

Good point. I was actually just re-reading what all was covered and I was thinking it was just oil wetted engine and trans parts...but it is all the electrical too. Coming from the Audi world, I know all about electrical gremlins! LOL.

Thanks for all the insight.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, D.A. said:

@seven: What did you end up doing and how did it work it out for you?

I ended up just keeping the warranty. I haven't pulled the trigger yet on any flash but the plan (unless I change my mind) will be to do the FTEcu on-bike tuner with a 2WDW tune. I am still debating if I do an exhaust though as I just started riding with earplugs and it might just negate part of the benefits of getting the exhaust...hearing the sound while riding. I am not one of those people that would run baffle out so it's too loud for everyone else but good for me because I have earplugs plugs in.

Anyway, I am going to see what sort of Black Friday/Cyber Monday sales or even Christmas/ Boxing Day sales happen. Not a huge rush it do something now as October is the end of my riding season until April. At that point too I am eligible to take my road test and get my intermediate license so I might just leave the bike stock until that's done just to avoid any possible issues.

• Like 1

Airbornedeth

Just an observation from my experience.

The R6 throttle tube should be the required first mod for this bike.

The Dobeck EJK piggybacks the stock computer and makes adjustments as needed. Does not void the warranty. It smooths out the fuel cut off on decel, so you don't feel like you're about to fly over the handlebars. Plus it's adjustable for your needs without the need for removing the computer and sending it out, or hooking it up to a computer.

These 2 mods alone will set you up for what you are looking for at this time. 

• Like 1