The MT-07 Forum

How loud without cat?

vintage thumper

vintage thumper

I’m trying to decide if I want to go with a full exhaust or slip on. I want it to have a good tone, without being overly loud. Some bikes get really  loud when the cat is removed, so the only way to keep the loud factor reasonable is to leave the cat on and go with a slip on. Other bikes don’t rely on the cat for silencing very much, so a full system works well and isn’t crazy loud. Are there aftermarket full systems that can keep the MT reasonably quiet, or does the cat need to be left on because it’s a significant part of the muffling?

• Global Moderator
3 minutes ago, vintage thumper said:

I’m trying to decide if I want to go with a full exhaust or slip on. I want it to have a good tone, without being overly loud. Some bikes get really  loud when the cat is removed, so the only way to keep the loud factor reasonable is to leave the cat on and go with a slip on. Other bikes don’t rely on the cat for silencing very much, so a full system works well and isn’t crazy loud. Are there aftermarket full systems that can keep the MT reasonably quiet, or does the cat need to be left on because it’s a significant part of the muffling?

It seems the general consensus is the Akrapovic ti with the baffle in and no cat will give you good sound without being too loud, and you can always remove or modify the baffle if you want it louder.  Personally I like the stock exhaust with MWR air filter and lid.  It made a big difference in the sound, which was a surprise to me.  Just removing the snorkel changed the exhaust sound, but not as much as the filter. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, vintage thumper said:

The stock exhaust is all one piece. There's no individual cat and muffler.  So you can't "leave the cat on and go with a slip on". 

You can do a slip on, but you'll have to cut the headers off the stock muffler/cat portion of the exhaust assembly. 

Very few aftermarket exhaust, full or slip on, will reinstall a cat. I ordered the optional cat when I ordered my Arrow full system, but it's just there to say "I have a cat". It's functionally useless for anything else. 

Edited by shinyribs
  • Like 1

vintage thumper

Thanks for the responses. Learning this way sure beats buying, shipping, and return shipping.

I’ve noticed a couple of silencer shapes on the Akrapovic systems. Some aim the exhaust outward and others aim it rearward. Any reason to go with one over the other?

I’ve seen a couple of slip-ons being sold for this bike. So I guess they come with instructions for cutting the oem pipe? I might have to go this way, as there are regulations that don’t allow complete systems to be sold to California residents. Of the slip-ons, can you recommend any that would be fairly quiet?

• Global Moderator
1 hour ago, vintage thumper said:

Thanks for the responses. Learning this way sure beats buying, shipping, and return shipping.

I’ve noticed a couple of silencer shapes on the Akrapovic systems. Some aim the exhaust outward and others aim it rearward. Any reason to go with one over the other?

I’ve seen a couple of slip-ons being sold for this bike. So I guess they come with instructions for cutting the oem pipe? I might have to go this way, as there are regulations that don’t allow complete systems to be sold to California residents. Of the slip-ons, can you recommend any that would be fairly quiet?

I think you can get any exhaust shipped to California, they are just sold for track use only.  What you do when you get it is up to you...not that I am advocating that anyone break the law, of course. 

• Haha 1

• Premium Member
cornerslider
2 hours ago, vintage thumper said:

I personally have the Akrapovic Ti system (you can see it in my avatar). It runs close to $1K. It was REALLY hard for me to spend that kind of money on an exhaust system.... It's only slightly louder than stock with the baffle/Db killer in, but sheds nearly 10 pounds of weight with the CAT gone. It sounds decent too.... Almost, "Ducati-like" 😎. I use mine on the track. If I happen to go down on the track, the ENTIRE system is underneath the bike, and protected from sliding/road-rash damage. I suppose there is a small chance it could be damaged in a severe crash that breaks one, or more of the wheels off (while tumbling).... If that's the case, my exhaust system is the least of my concerns 🤣. I'm very happy with it, and if I was to do it over again- I would make the same choice. Hope that helps you out-

""W.O.T. until you see god, then brake"

vintage thumper

Revzilla won’t ship any exhaust system or component to Cali unless it’s CARB approved. 

Good to hear the Akrapovic isn’t overly loud. Laguna Seca is the local track and they are among the most strict with Db policing. 

With a full system replacement and cat dump, is an ECU reflash necessary? And if so, are you guys doing anything with the intake side before flashing? 

• Premium Member
cornerslider
9 minutes ago, vintage thumper said:

Revzilla won’t ship any exhaust system or component to Cali unless it’s CARB approved. 

Good to hear the Akrapovic isn’t overly loud. Laguna Seca is the local track and they are among the most strict with Db policing. 

With a full system replacement and cat dump, is an ECU reflash necessary? And if so, are you guys doing anything with the intake side before flashing? 

Honestly....  If I where doing it from scratch (for my needs)- I'd do the Hordpower intake, get 2WDW (www.2wheeldynoworks.com) to flash the ECU, and be done!!! I took the "scenic route". I tried the PCV "piggy-back" route, and couple different air filters, blah-blah-blah... I ended up with what I feel is the best (for me)- The Hordpower intake- ECU flashed by 2WDW to match the Akrapovic Ti- enjoy, and forget about it. 

That being said, I don't necessarily know what's right for YOU personally? You can get some good gains in both HP & "rideabilty" with the stock intake with the ECU flash & exhaust.... Even a "bone-stock" bike, with OEM exhaust will benefit from the 2WDW ECU flash. Just depends on what you want out of your bike? The weakest link in this bike is the stock intake...  My bike used to fall-on-it's-face after about 8K rpm. Yeah, it made more noise, but the power curve pretty much flatlined.... Once I got the Hordpower intake, I found myself laughing out loud 🤣 inside my helmet!!! Total game changer for me-

At a minimum, get the ECU flashed by 2WDW. If you do an exhaust system, and intake modification- all the better. The folks @ 2WDW are GREAT to work with. You mail in your ECU, they flash it in about a week... (door-to-door) 😎-

You can do it in "stages" if you prefer? 2WDW will "re-flash" your ECU, at no additional cost to you (other than shipping) to match any future modifications you make to your bike, for as long as you own it. 

I can't answer what is right for you? I can only provide information based on what I've learn from experience.... Good luck in whatever direction you choose. Please keep us posted on whatever route you choose 😀. Good luck-

""W.O.T. until you see god, then brake"

• Premium Member
14 minutes ago, cornerslider said:

Honestly....  If I where doing it from scratch (for my needs)- I'd do the Hordpower intake, get 2WDW (www.2wheeldynoworks.com) to flash the ECU, and be done!!! I took the "scenic route". I tried the PCV "piggy-back" route, and couple different air filters, blah-blah-blah... I ended up with what I feel is the best (for me)- The Hordpower intake- ECU flashed by 2WDW to match the Akrapovic Ti- enjoy, and forget about it. 

That being said, I don't necessarily know what's right for YOU personally? You can get some good gains in both HP & "rideabilty" with the stock intake with the ECU flash & exhaust.... Even a "bone-stock" bike, with OEM exhaust will benefit from the 2WDW ECU flash. Just depends on what you want out of your bike? The weakest link in this bike is the stock intake...  My bike used to fall-on-it's-face after about 8K rpm. Yeah, it made more noise, but the power curve pretty much flatlined.... Once I got the Hordpower intake, I found myself laughing out loud 🤣 inside my helmet!!! Total game changer for me-

At a minimum, get the ECU flashed by 2WDW. If you do an exhaust system, and intake modification- all the better. The folks @ 2WDW are GREAT to work with. You mail in your ECU, they flash it in about a week... (door-to-door) 😎-

You can do it in "stages" if you prefer? 2WDW will "re-flash" your ECU, at no additional cost to you (other than shipping) to match any future modifications you make to your bike, for as long as you own it. 

I can't answer what is right for you? I can only provide information based on what I've learn from experience.... Good luck in whatever direction you choose. Please keep us posted on whatever route you choose 😀. Good luck-

Everything he said. and its only a week door to door if you slow ship it to them. Once they have it they normally  turn it around the same or next day and have it to back to your door within a couple days. Good guys 👍

I got my ECU back from them 2 days after they received it if I recall correctly and I'm as far away from them in Washington state as you can get, here in Florida.

• Like 1

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

• Global Moderator

2WDW also sells exhausts.  Give them a call as you can get good deals on the flash and exhaust as a package. 

• Global Moderator
19 hours ago, mjh937 said:

2WDW also sells exhausts.  Give them a call as you can get good deals on the flash and exhaust as a package. 

I just did that. Very happy with the results. Got the Yoshi/tune combo and it's not too loud with the dB killer. Sounds really good. I'll probably make a video showing it off soon :).

• Like 1

Although I have yet to pull the trigger on a 2WDW tune, as I live in Canada I didn't want to ship my ECU across the border due to expense and possibility of issue going through customs. 2WDW will also sell just the tune that you can load using the Flash Tune ECU On-bike (or presumably Bench) tuner. And the price of their tune is very reasonable and also comes with their unlimited reflashes if you change components.

Once I finally decide to pull the trigger this is the route I am going.

• Like 2