The MT-07 Forum

Shifting gears after hard stop

seven

I am a new rider and I know during a hard/emergency stop I should be downshifting...at least that is what they taught us in the training course. However today I had to do a hard stop and did not downshift. So I was at a complete stop in 5th gear and then trying to get to 1st. Tried kicking down a gear, no response. Another kick down and the gear display just goes blank. I was trying to rock the bike back and forth to get a gear and eventually got down to 1st but it literally took 30 second of me fiddling around.

Is this normal? I am new to motorcycling so I have no frame of reference. In a car if I had trouble getting into gear I would shift to neutral, release the clutch and try again.

Just wondering if this is a problem with the MT-07, a problem with my particular bike or just that is the way it is and that is why you have to shift down.

Whatever those answers are, if in that situation again, what is the best way to get to 1st?

All bikes can do that. Slip the clutch (very light, not enough to move) and down shift away. 

Go to a parking lot and practice hard stops while down shifting. The most important thing is the stop, but you may need to evade something coming from behind and get outa there. Can’t do an immediate take off in 5th stopped!

• Like 3

• Premium Member

It's normal.  Just practice down shifting before you come to a stop.

• Like 1

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

I had that happen once when I started riding. Practice practice practice hard stops and downshifting. 

Motorcycles have sequential gearboxes, meaning you can't select a specific gear without going up or down thru the neighboring gears. They are also designed as constant mesh, meaning the gear faces are always engaged and you are actually sliding them into or out of engagement on splined shafts. This means it is much easier to shift when your forward speed closely matches that of the desired gear. Hence getting in or out of 5th at a stop can be challenging. 

As others have said it's normal. Key is to be in the correct gear all the time. When you get caught out just let the clutch grab just a tiny bit (feather), shift a gear, then repeat as necessary. This helps align the hundred or so parts in the tranny letting it shift.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, seven said:

I am a new rider and I know during a hard/emergency stop I should be downshifting...at least that is what they taught us in the training course. However today I had to do a hard stop and did not downshift. So I was at a complete stop in 5th gear and then trying to get to 1st. Tried kicking down a gear, no response. Another kick down and the gear display just goes blank. I was trying to rock the bike back and forth to get a gear and eventually got down to 1st but it literally took 30 second of me fiddling around.

Is this normal? I am new to motorcycling so I have no frame of reference. In a car if I had trouble getting into gear I would shift to neutral, release the clutch and try again.

Just wondering if this is a problem with the MT-07, a problem with my particular bike or just that is the way it is and that is why you have to shift down.

Whatever those answers are, if in that situation again, what is the best way to get to 1st?

In an emergency situation you will be braking far faster than you can downshift.  I understood it to be the idea in the safety class was usually that you are pressing down on both foot levers, making sure to hit the brake.  Same idea pulling in on both hand levers - the brakes.   

What you encountered can be normal, but if the bike is still running it can be done by holding the clutch in and tapping down on the shifter and rocking the bike slightly.  It will get down to first.   

It is not unusual when I'm riding that I may come to a stop without having downshifted through all the gears back to first.  I may downshift to fourth, and maybe third, usually holding the clutch and tapping down through the remaining gears to first as I come to a stop or at a stop.  Just the way it is.  So I have done what I said quite often.   It isn't some mechanical issue that you must downshift as you approach a stop and it will not damage anything having to work down to first while sitting at a stop.   

So sum it up - no problem stopping in a higher gear.  Tap down on the shifter while lightly rocking the bike until you get to first.  That's how it works, no other short cuts.   I usually will not downshift and engage the clutch through every gear, usually coming to a stop while tapping down through the gears holding the clutch in.   And remember in an emergency situation downshifting is totally secondary to braking.   Downshifting will slow you down eventually, but braking will stop you fast and now.  

Thanks everyone. I am glad it's normal and it's just me that needs fixing. 8-)

Like all training it's getting it to be subconscious but practicing panic situations is difficult since you know it's coming. I normally downshift as I brake so that I have the appropriate gear selected (even if I don't engage the clutch on each downshift) so I am ready to get going if needed. That little shot of adrenaline though seems to show I am not yet at the point I need to be with my emergency manuvers.  I will continue to practice.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
Sunnycalibear

This is something I experience time to time during hard braking.  I've always been scared to downshift without rev matching because the back tire sometimes get loose but the idea of slipping the clutch might solve my issue here