The MT-07 Forum

Bar end weights-

cornerslider

• Premium Member
cornerslider

I'm 51 years old, and been riding for over 40 years. I track a 2016 FZ-07. I don't race, just track days. I replaced the OEM bars with Renthal "ultra-lows" almost immediately after I bought it (new) in 2016. I never gave much thought to bar end weights? I just bought some Renthal aluminum bar ends since the ID of the bar doesn't really work with most bar ends. After a 20 minute track session, my hands would be "tingly/numb"... I never gave it much thought, and played it off as "I'm holding on too tight".... It never really bothered me, and I just accepted it as part of higher rpm track riding-

I bought a 2019 R3 (new) for street use only. I put some "Apex" adjustable height clip-ons on the bike to make it more of a sport-touring edition of the R3... Immediately, I noticed my hands would get tingly/numb. I loved the position of the new clip-ons, but couldn't accept the tingly/numbness in my hands after as little as a 10 minute ride-

Since I'm a fan of all things Woodcraft... I researched their weighted bar end/sliders that claim to cut down on handlebar vibrations. For $50, I figured I'd give them a try. I could not believe the difference!!!! My hands never got "tingly/numb" since I put them on the R3. This got me thinking about my FZ-07.... Since I have the Renthal bars, that are slightly smaller ID than the standard .625, the Woodcraft weighted bar end/sliders were not on option for me (with the Renthals) on my FZ-07- (yes, I did actually try them). The only weighted bar end/sliders available for the Renthal bars that I could find, were made by R&G in the UK. They look to be about the same dimensionally, as well as weight. I ordered them today.

Has anyone else had an issue similar to mine? I never gave weighted bar ends much though until recently... It seemed a bit silly to shave as much weight as possible off of a track bike, and then ADD weight on the ends of the bars 🤣.... I'm a believer now 😎 👍-

""W.O.T. until you see god, then brake"

• Global Moderator

About weights, I have a question I put in to a company that's shut down for a week - HVMP inc. The question was do they have the "extra heavy" vib reducing weights that will fit XSR7? Even with them on vacation, I got a personal email back from "Steve", he said he will research and get back to me soon. I'll get back to you as well with his info, and if I buy them I'll let you know results. www.hvmp.com they list renthal, woodcraft, others on the main page menu....

My mitts are sensitive to vibration because I have neuropathy because reasons - pain when I ride, and I wake up in the night with pain, frozen digits, still frozen the next morning but somewhat better over night. That was until I rolled out the new Ohlins NIX-22 forks (and stx-46).

I can't believe my luck, a side effect of the new suspension is I am almost completely free of pain, and the frozen digits overnight are gone. The Ohlins have fixed something I wasn't trying to fix - my neuropathy that was being aggravated by the XSR7 stock suspension vib feedback through the bars. Its weird because there is still vibs in the bars with the Ohlins that doesn't seem any different when I think about it, but my hands know it's different - way different.

I think the stock suspension had my brain gripping the bars with more force than should be necessary to "micro-manage" those bouncing ball pogo crazy sticks. My brain auto relaxed when it got the Ohlins. You have to understand, none of this is conscious. I was not conscious of the effort my hands were making to control the OEM suspension before, and I was not conscious of the relaxing of my grip with the Ohlins after.

I just woke up the day after rolling out the Ohlins without pain or nueropathy. And then the second day, and third, and everyday now. This was a gift from the Gods of suspension.

• Like 2

• Premium Member
cornerslider

I looked at those weights as well..... They looked very "promising", but they were nearly $100 (with shipping)... That seemed a bit high to me?  Let us know if you pull the trigger on these-

@cornerslider I have the same issue with handlebar vibration, so it’s not just you. If you find a solution let us know, I have been looking heavy bar end weight without luck. 

• 4 months later...
  • Premium Member

Took me a while to get back to this post. I pulled the trigger on the R&G weighted bar-end sliders. It took a while to get them here from the UK, but worth the wait. They are slightly less weight than the Woodcraft ones I have on my R3. They work nearly as well though. The bar clamps on the FZ-07 are "rubber mounted", so I think maybe that helps a little (compared to clip-ons with the R3). I'm not interested in adding clip-ons to my FZ, and very happy with the Renthal ultra-lows. It appears that R&G might be the only option with the Renthals.  I was only able to do two track days this fall (I was injured most of the summer). While I still got some "tingling" at the the end of a couple sessions, It was nocticably better. That being said, I recently had an EMG test for "carpal-tunnel", and learned that I have "moderate" carpal-tunnel...... I may have surgery to correct it over the winter-

• Global Moderator
6 hours ago, cornerslider said:

"moderate" carpal-tunnel...... I may have surgery to correct it over the winter-

If it only gets to you when you ride, maybe skip the surgery until neuropathy goes severe. I'm politely trying to say - Don't let them cut you unless it goes ballistic.

I had that problem with the bike when I first started riding after chemo. Unexpectedly the Ohlins NIX-22 cartridges really helped (not sure why but overall vibes were dampened).

Got rid of the remaining tingle by adjusting bars and consciously keeping the weight off my wrists. And another unexpected improvement came from recommendation on this forum for the pro-grip "soft touch rally". Pro-grip changed the name to "Dual-Sport"

They help, even if they didn't I still would like them. Good luck amigo with everything you do.

Edited by Pursuvant

• Premium Member

I really wish that was the case...  I'm a Journeyman Steamfitter, and I make my living making x-ray quality welds on high-pressure steam lines. My issues have become more "real" in the last year.... If I continue down the current path I'm on, I'll likely  lose my way of life (that subsidies my track riding habit), and I'll likely lose everything I've worked for-  Unfortunately, I think I will need the surgery sooner, rather than later if I want to continue my career. I have about 8 years left until I can retire. My "end game" is a fifth-wheel toy-hauler, and traveling the country with my wife. We hope to track ride, and travel as much as possible during retirement 😎-

• Like 1

• Global Moderator
13 hours ago, cornerslider said:

Unfortunately, I think I will need the surgery sooner, rather than later

I feel what you mean, I got knocked out of my old story by illness at 55.

There's a way thru less traveled. I know and see others at hospital who take that expected pain and let thought turn it into suffering - "I can't go here, I won't be at parties, I can't go on vacation, I'm dying, etc" and they can't get passed it.

The pain is inevitable, but only you can turn it into suffering. Do what needs done, just be like a screen door, let this blow right thru you with no resistance.

• Like 3

• Global Moderator

Today I took a 3+ hour ride, and I was using my R6 throttle tube with the R6 grip, and the clutch grip is a ProGrip 714 Dual Sport.

My clutch hand, no tingle, but my throttle hand is buzzing enough I'm having trouble sleeping.

That makes it clear to me, I really like the ProGrip 714. I also noticed while riding it has a larger diameter than the R6 grip - for me makes it easier to get a comfortable hold