The MT-07 Forum

How are track-day organizations dealing with 2020?

cornerslider

• Premium Member
cornerslider

I think we can all agree that our 2020 track-day season is a total $hit-show (at best)... I've been a regular track-day/rider-coach since 2008. During that time I've NEVER seen anything like what we are experiencing right now.... I want to see track-days continue, but unfortunately, I see them slowly fading away 😢. Does anyone here have a "life preserver" for the track-day community??? I think most race organizations will most likely survive... People will always find a way to "race". I feel like the track-day community was growing in a BIG way, and now it's at a financial/political crossroads?

I'm 51 years old. I know I'm too old to really "race".... I love track riding, and love being at the track.. My wife and I agreed to spend our "vacation money" @ track-days, and live the best life we know how to. I'm VERY fortunate to have a wife that shares my passion. I just hope at the end of the COVID-19 "$hit-show", that there will be a place for people like us to continue to chase our smile .

I'd love to hear any thoughts from folks that share my passion, and how they see the future-

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

""W.O.T. until you see god, then brake"

• 1 month later...

I think there is sufficient demand to keep them afloat. I have no idea how COVID has changed their overhead costs that will then need to be passed on to consumers. Evolve GT (East Coast) kept pricing the same and sold out most days. Good food for thought though, because this season definitely was a $hit show to start at least.

• Premium Member
15 hours ago, Kyle929 said:

I think there is sufficient demand to keep them afloat. I have no idea how COVID has changed their overhead costs that will then need to be passed on to consumers. Evolve GT (East Coast) kept pricing the same and sold out most days. Good food for thought though, because this season definitely was a $hit show to start at least.

The organization that I coach for closed up shop this year 😞..... The insurance company would not renew their policy.  They didn’t want to take on the liability associated with COVID-19 🙄. I think the owner of the organization just got fed-up with the whole COVID-19 B.S., and moved on. We had a really tight knit track community, that always helped each other out with any/everything that came up. We even pitched in to restore an older track bike for one of our dedicated corner-workers that crashed, and came into hard times. We GAVE him a track bike on Father’s Day the following year, so he could get back out there. This is the type of community that I want to be a part of!!!! I’m sure I’ll find another track organization to ride with, I just really liked what I had-

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, cornerslider said:

The organization that I coach for closed up shop this year 😞..... The insurance company would not renew their policy.  They didn’t want to take on the liability associated with COVID-19 🙄. I think the owner of the organization just got fed-up with the whole COVID-19 B.S., and moved on. We had a really tight knit track community, that always helped each other out with any/everything that came up. We even pitched in to restore an older track bike for one of our dedicated corner-workers that crashed, and came into hard times. We GAVE him a track bike on Father’s Day the following year, so he could get back out there. This is the type of community that I want to be a part of!!!! I’m sure I’ll find another track organization to ride with, I just really liked what I had-

Oh wow, I didn't realize it was that bad. Very cool to have a tight knit track family like that. I'm sure you'll find it again. And hopefully the world figures out it's "new normal" (barf) soon enough. 

I’d imagine it’s gotta be tough for the smaller organizations but the bigger ones on the east coast like PRE, Evolve, N2 all seem to be doing very well and just working through it. They limit attendance, for example I’m going to VIR with PRE on Monday and you can only bring one “pit member” per registered rider. From what I’ve seen most events have been sold out and it’s continuing to grow. That really sucks to hear about your situation though, hopefully you can get on  riding/coaching with another organization. 

• 3 months later...
  • Premium Member
On 9/24/2020 at 2:07 AM, Kyle929 said:

Oh wow, I didn't realize it was that bad. Very cool to have a tight knit track family like that. I'm sure you'll find it again. And hopefully the world figures out it's "new normal" (barf) soon enough. 

You were right @Kyle929.... A couple of riders that I used to coach with are starting a new track-day group for 2021. The new group is called “Moto-MN”. I’ll be coaching with them at the same tracks I used to ride. Still working on dates for next year 😎-

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
fivepointnine

I have been doing track days/racing on my Grom of all things.  You can hit up the kart tracks for like $60/day and I can ride at the Herrin compound privately with 24 hours notice.

• Like 1